1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another BIG Brake Kit Option BBK OMG!

Discussion in 'Automotive Group Buys' started by jamesepoop, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Jun 5, 2019 at 5:40 PM
    jamesepoop

jamesepoop [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2007 Fj Cruiser
    1st post is info regarding the BBK itself
    2nd post is the important updates and list of buyers.

Please read:

Where there's a Wil, there's a wood. We're talking about Wilwood! Brakes!

There's another alternative to the current big brake kits (BBK) options. Wilwood has long been used in competitive racing and podium finishers. They really have dedicated themselves to the grassroots motorsports (people like you and I) while balancing larger race programs. The reason I've said this is they've always remained simple in price and offered a way for the little guys to play in the big boy arena. In this case, we can adapt the Wilwood Aero6 6-piston forged aluminum goodness! The Aero6 calipers mate up to 338x32 rotors found on the GX/4Runner Sport through customized brackets. This is preferable for me if I ever have issues, then I can use any brand GX/4R rotor on the road or off the trail. We can use many different options!

As you'll see it comes with an Aero6 caliper that has internal seals. I had to talk to the RR-racing and they will also make have an Aero6 with external Dust Seal version for offroaders for $100 more on top of the kit price. If you only street or tow alot where dirt is not a concern, no worries.

[​IMG]

Want to out brake your sportscar? Looking to haul that monstrosity of a trailer in confidence while towing? Mall parking curbs so tall you upgraded to 37 -40" and now they just fade away! Just going to leave this here. The basic kit is calipers, pads, and mounting brackets. Cool thing is they can be paint coated black, orange, red, silver, white, yellow, blue.

I reached out to the company producing a basic kit plus additional accessories (rotors/ lines) and was wondering if other people were interested in completing a group buy? We have several options if we are able to confirm 5 buyers and it'll be a certain percentage off. And more so for 10 buyers, etc. Out of respect for companies online, I'll only be messaging the price to buyers to avoid any pricing backlash. I won't be handling any of the funds, but helping organize the list of those confirmed. I would like to see that we have more options available and hopefully this will help others.

Current MSRP for the base kit w/ Aero6(non-DS): $1249

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Commonly asked questions (updated as we go)
    Will these fit my 16" rims? Short answer is no. Long answer is most likely not, but maybe. Many times it can depend on the design of the barrel of the rim and spokes. Some wheels and manufacturers even have custom requests for BBK fitment. To play it safe, please be aware it was designed around a 17" fitment.

What rim size do I need to accommodate these? As of now, the rim size minimum will be considered safely recommended is an open spoke 17". With most BBK, fit it is determined by wheel diameter, spoke depth and design. I'll see if I can get dimensions of the caliper spacing and how fitment is like on stock fj cruiser 17" wheels.

Do I need new rotors? If you have a PRE 2010 vehicle, most likely if you have a GX or 4runner, they came with smaller 338x28 rotors. These will NOT work with this caliper kit. You can make the upgrade to x32mm rotors to get every little bit of performance.

If you had a FJ or Tacoma, we only received the 319x28 rotor and corresponding caliper.

What GX or 4Runner came with 338x32 rotors? On 2010 model years, they changed to the 338x32. If you have a GX460, then you're in the clear. For the 4Runner, Sport models were equipped with the larger rotors and some Limited models with an "Accessory Package". If you don't know and you have a 2010+, call your dealer with your VIN and they can confirm.

What about the Tacoma?
    After doing some research, I'm aware that Tacomas use the same size spindle upright (minor difference in the upper ball joint), brake rotors and calipers match up to part numbers on the FJ Cruiser (which also fits 5th gen 4runner larger sport rotor/caliper).

Are there any optional upgrades? If your intention is to offroad, then consider the base kit with Aero6 DS model that uses external dust seals. It is an extra $100 on top of the base kit price. Otherwise the base kit will be shipped with standard calipers that use internal seals that are safe for all types of terrain but mainly concentrate on the road aspect.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Grumpy and kingk0ng like this.
  2. Jun 5, 2019 at 5:42 PM
    jamesepoop

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2007 Fj Cruiser
    6/28/19
    Participants:
    1. jamesepoop **paid
    2. FJTTSE (FJ forums) **paid
    3. N. Tran (FJ fb) **paid
    4 . DeeJae (GXORfb)**paid
    5. @the glen (tw)
    6. @Noahs2015Taco (tw)
    7. @nudavinci64 (tw) **paid
    8. jameykini (FJ forums) **paid
    9. S.B. (TW) **paid
    10. Cory (fb)**paid

6/5/19
    The GB is officially on. We'll run it until Friday June 21. The sooner we achieve the committed parties, the sooner we can just order them and they'll ship put. I'd like to get to the 2nd tier which is a nice chunk off. Message me you still need info. Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  3. Jun 5, 2019 at 5:43 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hi.

Who are you?

nudavinci64, Anderson and Twizted like this.
  4. Jun 5, 2019 at 5:44 PM
    ramonortiz55

ramonortiz55 Not A Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Offroad 4x4
    stock
    :*

Anderson and T4RFTMFW[QUOTED] like this.
  5. Jun 5, 2019 at 5:45 PM
    Supra4x4

Supra4x4 IG: hash_brown55

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2011 DCLB 4X4 Long Travel'd
    Whole lotta stuff
    Ugh, The off-roading world needs a brake kit that will fit a 16”

I’ll be watching.

6. Jun 5, 2019 at 6:11 PM
    jamesepoop

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2007 Fj Cruiser
    Hello. I'm James. While I don't have a high post count, I've been a member here to participate in FJ and long travel discussions. Also, in the past, I've organized sub group buys thru dirt designz for their shock tower mounts and was successful at doing so. I'm not a shop, just an enthusiast hoping to share our crossover of aftermarket parts.

T4RFTMFW[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jun 5, 2019 at 6:13 PM
    Kwisak

Kwisak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Tacoma Off Road MT
    Pro grill Joying radio with wireless car play Hood decal Bed decal Pro skid Pro wheels 285/70/17 Sliders Blackout emblems Pro exhaust Pro intake Painted engine cover Ditch lights Tint Tacoma letters glove box Off-road wether tech inserts Lock box console Blackvue Orange trim Orange inserts Katzskin Weather tech Bed mat Hilift Tire locks Extra switch Rotopax Fox 2.5 fronts with 700lbs Kings Fox 2.0 rears with resi Icon rxt springs Icon Delta UCAs Meso side markers Meso gashole On order —— Avid bed rack SSO bumper Morimoto headlights and fogs Meso map lights and done light
    Depending on price I would be interested

nudavinci64 and jamesepoop[OP] like this.
  8. Jun 5, 2019 at 6:16 PM
    jamesepoop

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2007 Fj Cruiser
    Technically you have a 16" option using the Stoptech kits but it's not cheap.

Norton and Anderson like this.
  9. Jun 6, 2019 at 3:32 PM
    jamesepoop

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2007 Fj Cruiser
    6/6/19 https://www.rr-racing.com/RR-Racing-Front-Big-Brake-Kit-for-Lexus-GX-4Runner-p/gx4fbk0002.htm

Here's the link. As you'll see it comes with an WW Aero6 caliper that has internal seals. I had to talk to the RR-racing and they will also make have an Aero6 with external Dust Seal version for offroaders for $100 more on top of the kit price. If you only drive street or tow alot where dirt is not a concern, no worries.

If your intention is to offroad, then consider the kit with Aero6 DS model that uses external dust seals. It is an extra $100 on top of the base kit price. Otherwise the base kit will be shipped with standard calipers that use internal seals that are safe for all types of terrain but mainly concentrate on the road.

10. Jun 6, 2019 at 6:04 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    Do they have longer brake lines for us with LT?

11. Jun 6, 2019 at 8:33 PM
    jamesepoop

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2007 Fj Cruiser
    You would probably have extended lines already don't you? The lines are an add-on accessory and I can find out if they'll do a LT line but discounted pricing on accessories are not included on the GB. With this kit, they include an adapter from the metric interim hardline to the Wilwood caliper. If your LT line replaced the hardline most likely it has an open -AN with metric flare adapter. My current dirt king brake lines attach to the hardline off the caliper.

T4RFTMFW likes this.
  12. Jun 6, 2019 at 8:35 PM
    ThomasMore66

ThomasMore66 We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth & Durango
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2013 TRD Offroad 4wd
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
    No rear disk option?

13. Jun 6, 2019 at 8:48 PM
    jamesepoop

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2007 Fj Cruiser
    Not exactly sure of your question. They offer aftermarket pads and rotors for the rear. No Wilwood application at this time. Possibly can reach out to them in the future for a matching rear set up.

14. Jun 6, 2019 at 8:58 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    Yeah still have the hard line.

15. Jun 6, 2019 at 9:08 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    As for rotors, do this use stock replacement rotors for 16+ 4runners?

16. Jun 7, 2019 at 4:14 AM
    jamesepoop

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2007 Fj Cruiser
    Rotors from the +16 4R will work. As long as they're 338x32mm. They started using that rotor as early as 2010 in their 4runner sport models. 2010+ Lexus GX upgraded rotor size at this time too

S.B.[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Jun 8, 2019 at 1:20 AM
    nudavinci64

nudavinci64 Robert @ Holy Horsepower

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    San Mateo/Cayucos, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 S/C TRD OffRoad 4x4
    Boosted Money Pit....
    At least one guy with a 1st gen mentioned he had issues with what I assumed was the 4runner and is running GX. I asked seeing what the issue was. I have the 5th gen 4runner caliper and rotors now and no issues. Should be a nice swap to add the willwood calipers to it.
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/tacoma-brakes-swaps-and-tech.468271/page-5#post-20254498

18. Jun 9, 2019 at 8:42 PM
    jamesepoop

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2007 Fj Cruiser
    Definitely YMMV. I think the Toyota calipers do not play well with 4 season states due to the construction and all the road chemicals. For us in CA, it's less of an issue with catastrophic failure.

To be honest, these days, we're going bigger/heavier/trying to carry the whole house/stop on a dime/etc. Having something that can keep up with upgrading the rotor is efficient and an added value.

Just for kicks, my friend has a chart with his upgraded pistons. You can see the 4R is slightly oversized and he mentioned the pedal feel was ever so laggy (not that it doesn't perform, just there's some loss in pedal feel). Wilwood comes in just below that. Just showing the math side of things before anyone gets on my case and the numbers don't lie. More than anything, it's the reliability I'm reaching for while upgrading.

3.jpg

19. Jun 9, 2019 at 11:05 PM
    nudavinci64

nudavinci64 Robert @ Holy Horsepower

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    San Mateo/Cayucos, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 S/C TRD OffRoad 4x4
    Boosted Money Pit....
    CALIPER,AERO6-DS,1.62/1.12/1.12,1.25 4.04 sq/in
    CALIPER,AERO6-DS,1.75/1.38/1.38,1.25 5.4 sq/in

Curious the difference in the setup with smaller pistons vs the larger one.

Info on the Aero6 calipers if any wanted to look them up. Newer version they are selling. Also they do have rear calipers (not for tacoma) but if someone did some work similar to the SOS stoptech setup I am sure some wilwoods could be fitted if someone was looking for a rear setup.

https://www.wilwood.com/Search/PartNoSearch?q=aero6

kingk0ng and jamesepoop[OP] like this.
  20. Jun 9, 2019 at 11:26 PM
    alexplb

alexplb Well-Known Member

Member:
    There are other options :) :threadjacked:

Products Discussed in

To Top