1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another brake debacle

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Jacques, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Feb 14, 2011 at 7:46 PM
    Jacques

Jacques [OP] Member

Member:
    Bham, AL.
    Vehicle:
    stock
    So I've read some threads about brakes on the 1st gens and still am a little puzzled. I have an 03 4x4. Just over 50k on the clock. I'm on my second set of factory rotors and again have this mad vibration under braking. I know the rotors are warped. I'm not hard on the brakes either. I'm actually very conscious of it - modulation, etc. So what gives? I thought the factory rotors were supposed to be pretty decent. Do I need ceramic pads? Aftermarket rotors? Don't think I need slotted, drilled rotors. Thoughts, advice? And thanks.

2. Feb 14, 2011 at 8:09 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    What are your wheels torqued to? Over-torqueing the wheels (too tight) can warp rotors. I torque mine to 100ft lbs which is actually higher than recommended via Toyota - but I haven't had any issues in all the vehicles I've owned.

How are your wheel bearings? Bad wheel bearings can also cause warped rotors.

How long since the last time you replaced them and they warped again? What kind of mileage are you getting before they're warping?

3. Feb 14, 2011 at 8:24 PM
    Jacques

Jacques [OP] Member

Member:
    Bham, AL.
    Vehicle:
    stock
    Good questions - I don't know what my wheels/lugs are torqued to - factory work. Wheel bearings - dunno? How do I ckeck them? Dunno the mileage before warping again, but not much. Thanks for your response.

4. Feb 14, 2011 at 10:04 PM
    Flash1034

Flash1034 Well-Known Member

Member:
    N/W Montana
    Vehicle:
    2023 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, Solar Octane, Automatic
    MESO Stage 1.5 LED Taillights Falken Wildpeak AT3W Tires in 265/75-16
    Also, if your rears arent adjusted up, the fronts will overheat because they are doing all the work. Check your rears.

Flash

5. Feb 15, 2011 at 6:25 AM
    Jacques

Jacques [OP] Member

Member:
    Bham, AL.
    Vehicle:
    stock
    Good point - Thanks for the advice.

6. Feb 15, 2011 at 6:48 AM
    Space Wrangler

Space Wrangler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JCT
    Ga
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    04 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab SAW 2.0's Alcan's Ion 171 wheels 15x8 (-27mm bs) 32" BFG AT's
    i've never had good luck with oe rotors and pads. ...maybe it's because i drive in atlanta traffic. ..maybe it's because i have larger than stock tires. ..at any rate, i had to go aftermarket to keep the shakes away.

7. Feb 15, 2011 at 7:34 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I've never had tacoma bearings go bad...but for every other vehicle I've ever worked with.....(hard to explain) Jackup the front end and grab the wheel by hand. Basically, try to shake and move the wheel in every direction (in & out, back & front, up & down, etc). It shouldn't have any movement aside from the normal rotational movement. You could have some movement (in&out) in the wheel from the steering rack.

When the rotors are warped, what's the condition of the pads? Are the pads badly worn? How often do you change pads? Do you press on the brakes hard (short stops)?

Products Discussed in

To Top