1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another front end clunk thread

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by backcountryj, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Sep 13, 2016 at 10:30 AM
    backcountryj

backcountryj [OP] Pending Approval

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    GA
    I've contemplated a new complete coilover, specifically the 6112s. Just not prepared to spend that kind of money throwing darts at an issue. At this point its an annoyance and not a safety issue, at least I think. That is the reason I want my family mechanic to go over everything to ensure there isn't something else more critical that's about to fail.
    I do greatly value the opinions of TW members, hence the post. I'm no mechanic, but if I can save a few bucks busting some knuckles to fix or attempt a fix, I'm game.

2. Sep 13, 2016 at 10:47 AM
    TACO PICANTE

TACO PICANTE Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Lone Star State
    Vehicle:
    "The Ant"
    I don't know anymore!
  3. Sep 13, 2016 at 10:54 AM
    Saskabush

Saskabush Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    Elka 2.5" DSC w/ Dakars, Archive Hammer Hangers, SPC UCAs, Timbren bumps, 16" TRD baja wheels, 265/75r16 BFG K02, 1.25" wheel spacers, TRD skid plate, N-Fab spare tire box mount.
    I have the 5100's and have the exact same noise. I've been trying for over a year to diagnose and finally found the problem... From your description and video it seems like you may have the same problem.

What is happening is the coil is shifting slightly when cycling. Coils by nature like to twist when compressing. Obviously the more they are compressed the more they try to twist. Normally the weight of the truck and design of the shock prevent this from happening because the coil is seated well at the top and bottom. But sometimes when the strut is assembled, the coil doesn't seat perfectly in both positions. When the coil gets compressed it tries to twist and ends up shifting slightly causing what sounds like a metal on metal clunk. That is just the reverberations through the coil. It may only be moving a fraction of a mm but with the weight on it that's still enough to cause a noise. There are other factors that can affect this too (temperature, speed of the compression, weight distribution, etc.) which is why you may not hear the noise every time you hit the same bump.

Take a look at the top of the coil. Is the end where it was cut near one of the top plate bolts? It may be seated fine when the truck is sitting but slips ever so slightly when compressing. This is what happened to mine. I could also feel the coil move while jacking up the truck and letting the coil decompress. Even if the top end of the coil is not near any bolts it still may not be seated properly.

You may have to take the strut off to fix this. Compress the coil enough to be able to rotate it so that the end of the coil at the top is away from the top plate bolts and seated well on the rubber. Also make sure the bottom is seated well in the mount. Sometimes all it needs is to just be re-seated and the noise will go away.

Hopefully that helps or at least points you in the right direction!

samiam likes this.
  4. Sep 13, 2016 at 10:59 AM
    backcountryj

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    GA
  5. Sep 13, 2016 at 11:03 AM
    backcountryj

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    GA
    This seems very plausible. In your case, were there any wear spots on the top plate bolts or even the top/bottom plates from the coil moving?

6. Sep 13, 2016 at 11:22 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    It might be the shock, or it could very well be something else, like a loose LCA bushing (bushing becomes dislodged from the LCA eye).

That makes a knocking noise like I saw in the video. There is a good thread on it somewhere.

7. Sep 13, 2016 at 11:57 AM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    So rather than get the OME coils he would be better off buying a higher spring rate coil (eibachs) and preloading to 0.85 :confused:

Apply logic and common sense to this response and what do you conclude

8. Sep 13, 2016 at 12:09 PM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    So if I were to use my shop compressor to compress the OME coils its going to want to twist?
    Yeah I'm not sure about this, but its something I could easily confirm. I honestly think the noise you are hearing is from something else.

9. Sep 13, 2016 at 12:17 PM
    ImpulsedComa

ImpulsedComa Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab 4x4 SR5 V6
    I was going to ask here if the top of the coils are supposed to be facing a particular direction when they are mounted. Do you have pictures of the way they are supposed to be facing when the three top bolts are tightened? My truck is at Toyota so I cant tell if mine are correct, but it would be helpful for others and me when i get it back if toyota cant figure it out.

10. Sep 13, 2016 at 12:44 PM
    Saskabush

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    Elka 2.5" DSC w/ Dakars, Archive Hammer Hangers, SPC UCAs, Timbren bumps, 16" TRD baja wheels, 265/75r16 BFG K02, 1.25" wheel spacers, TRD skid plate, N-Fab spare tire box mount.
    Not necessarily... If allowed to move freely while compressing, it will twist. Not much but all springs do. It is doubtful you would actually see it twist though. Unless, one end is on a bearing and easily allows it to rotate. Otherwise both ends will stay in place because of friction and the coil will simply bulge at its center.

What i'm saying is that the coil will want to twist(as well as bulge). And if there is any play whatsoever to allow it to do that while under load in the strut, you will hear a noise from any movement that happens.

11. Sep 13, 2016 at 12:59 PM
    steezinstangl

steezinstangl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Elk Grove, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 FJ Cruiser
    thats the other option to achieve a "3in" lift. the valving of the 5100's suits the eibach coils better. Right there is logic and common sense.

12. Sep 13, 2016 at 1:01 PM
    Saskabush

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    I haven't come across any info that says right way or wrong way. But I would think keeping the end of the coil away from the top plate bolts would be ideal. That is where the movement, in any, will happen.

13. Sep 13, 2016 at 1:05 PM
    steezinstangl

steezinstangl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Elk Grove, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 FJ Cruiser
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/ome-885-5100s-lr-uca-topping-out.266820/

here is the link to a thread i started a few years ago when i had the same problem.

14. Sep 13, 2016 at 5:51 PM
    backcountryj

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    GA
  15. Sep 13, 2016 at 5:55 PM
    backcountryj

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    GA
    Not the best angle, but it's the best I could manage without a GoPro or the like. Forgive the red hue in the frame. It appears rope wiggled into the lens view.

16. Sep 13, 2016 at 7:39 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    I heard two different clunks. One at 12 seconds and followed by a different sound at 13.

I don't think it's the shock.

Check your LCA bushings. Lemmie see if I can find the good thread on it

17. Sep 14, 2016 at 3:51 AM
    backcountryj

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    GA
    The first clunk (0:12) is from the passenger side as the tire/wheel comes down from my driveway to the culdesac. The second sound (0:13) is the drivers side tire/wheel.

It's entirely possibly that the passenger side has been exhibiting similar sounds, but has been less noticeable and/or my driving habits do not produce the sound as often on that side. I did not take the time to rig my phone on that side. I may do so in the future.

How do I go about 'checking' the LCA bushings? What am I looking for/doing? I've looked at them numerous times, inspecting for any noticeable dry rotting, corrosion, etc. but everything appears to be good to me (not a pro at all):confused:.
    I have confirmed proper toque on the LCA bolts as well. At least with my cheap HF torque wrench.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  18. Sep 14, 2016 at 6:05 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
  19. Sep 14, 2016 at 6:20 AM
    ramonortiz55

ramonortiz55 Not A Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Offroad 4x4
    stock
    you mean post 660. almost thought you posted the wrong link :)

20. Sep 14, 2016 at 6:21 AM
    ramonortiz55

ramonortiz55 Not A Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Offroad 4x4
    stock
    I had the same clunk in my 2013 Tacoma - never had a chance to look into it before I traded it in.

Now I know never to go back to OME for my current Tacoma

Products Discussed in

To Top