1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another Hard Shell vs Softopper thread

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Fieldsy18, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Apr 13, 2018 at 5:21 PM
    Fieldsy18

Fieldsy18 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport DCLB PreRunner
    Hello,

I am interested in getting a shell for the truck. I have been between the ARE Overland and the Softopper for months. The biggest reason I've chosen the Overland as the Hard Shell is because I think it looks best but I am open to other shells at a lower price. I was quoted 2750 OTD for the ARE Overland shell :eek: the options I selected were Folding/sliding front window, 2x indoors, headliner. The price is a little steep for me so I thought I'd pose the question to you guys since I can't answer it on my own.

The biggest things I carry in the truck are my fishing rods and I need to be able to carry them in my 5ft bed(Shortbed). The rods are at least 7ft. I was thinking with the hard shell (ARE Overland) I would be able to fit the rods through the sliding window in through the cab of the truck. This would be great because then I know that my fishing equip could be secured. With the Softopper I would probably just have to leave the rods sticking out through the zippered sides. Does anyone have any other ideas? Id also like to use the shell for camping and I am sure the hard shell would most likely last me longer, if not the life of the truck but the removability of the Softopper is super convenient if I was to get dirt bikes in the future or had to move, etc.

By the way I have no option of storing a hard shell if I did decide to remove it.
    About a 2k price difference between the 2 shells

2. Apr 13, 2018 at 5:27 PM
    13yota

13yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2013 2.7 single cab 4x4
    Have you looked into contractor/construction type shells. Alot of them have similar functions of the ARE your looking at but can be found cheaper. Alot of them are aluminum as well, so less weight too carry

3. Apr 13, 2018 at 6:47 PM
    Fieldsy18

Fieldsy18 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport DCLB PreRunner
    I haven’t. I will take a look cause that might be a good option price wise but looks wise might be brutal.

Products Discussed in

To Top