1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another help me with a lift question, sorry......

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Big Si, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Apr 8, 2014 at 3:08 AM
    Big Si

Big Si [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Silas
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road Black Sand Pearl
    Made a bunch of stuff black.
    So much lift info it's overwhelming......:eek:

Hopefully you fine folks will be able to clear this up for me, or at least point me in the right direction. Here's my situation.

I have have a stock 2008 TRD offroad, non tsb. I would like to level the front and I am assuming the adjustable Bilstein 5100's are the way to go since their are so many people running them. My rear suspension squeaks whenever I get in and out of my truck, and it drives me crazy since I only way 160 pounds. Also, I tow a travel trailer 4 to 5 times a year to go camping, and occasionally haul stuff in the bed. It squats like crazy. Should I add a leaf, or replace the leaf springs all together? I guess I'm just afraid that if I replace them, it'll lift the rear too high and I'll have to install a whole bunch of other stuff to level the front. I don't really want to increase wear and tear on drivelines and bearings and everything. I'm open for suggestions on the best, least expensive setup to go after.

I don't want to sacrifice the stock ride, but a better ride is more than welcome. Also I should note, I don't do any aggresive off roading or crawling, but I do go on dirt roads sight seeing, shooting, other various fun desert/mountain adventures. Also I don't want to lose too many mpg's, but I don't want my taco to look goofy either.

So basically, tell me what to get. ;)
    I'm thinking about it too much aren't I? Should I just get the Billy's and the Wheeler's hd pack and not look back?

Also, what the hell is the taco lean or bro lean?

I appreciate any and all input.

2. Apr 8, 2014 at 3:56 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Taco lean is where one side up front is .5 lower than the other, there is a 1/4" top plate spacer that goes on top of the shock to level that. Bro lean is where the rear of the truck is lower than the front. I say 5100s set at .85 or 1.75 with a 1.5" AAL in the back if you just want a little better ride and tow handling. That'll run you about 400 plus labor to install if you don't do it yourself plus the cost of an alignment of your choice (one-time, 1 yr or multi-year) I always do a 3 yr alignment so I can have them align it every 6 or 8 months. The toe is notorious for moving but the rest stays put pretty good. I have the oem SR5 springs in my 5100s and it rides great on 1.75. My old 05 AC had 5100s set at 2.5 with LR UCAs and TRD springs and it rode great on the road but was a bit harsh on bumps offroad. These are my prerunner lift experiences, hope it helps. Of course, there are cheaper spacer lift options and more rugged, expensive options. The 5100/AAL option is a good middle ground large improvement in ride thing IMO. Unless doing a full on hardcore rig, this is most reasonable, reliable, safe improvement over stock.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  3. Apr 8, 2014 at 3:59 AM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    1 truck 1 car 1 motorcycle
    I've got 5100's & 885's @ 0 in front, no sway bar.
    Rear I've got the Wheelers 3 leaf HD aal, and air bags.
    Yes it rides stiffer, but like a truck now. I'm very pleased with the way my truck handles and rides.

4. Apr 8, 2014 at 4:06 AM
    Big Si

Big Si [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Silas
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road Black Sand Pearl
    Made a bunch of stuff black.
    Appreciate the input .....
    I've noticing a lot of lift questions lately, so I was hoping mine wouldn't just annoy everybody.

Thanks! I love Tacoma world!

5. Apr 8, 2014 at 7:14 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    It's a forum, it's all about questions/answers/discussion. Even when you do search and read you may still have questions sooooo....annoyed people are free to ignore or log off.

Products Discussed in

To Top