1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another key/fob question...

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Ruminator, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Feb 13, 2018 at 8:53 AM
    Ruminator

Ruminator [OP] Chairman of the Bored

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northern Illinois, USA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Red TRD-Sport, ACLB, MT!!!
    Alright doll-face, c'mon and bore me!
    I'm sorry if this question has been asked before. I searched the forums, but did not find an answer to this specific problem.

I just picked up a 2017 TRD-Sport and it has the "Type C" (as the manual refers to it) conventional key with the remote entry fob in the head. I'd like to store just a conventional key (no electronics) on the outside of the vehicle, along with some other stuff (house key, credit card, some cash, etc.). I'd prefer to stash just a plain key because it's flat and makes the zip lock pouch with everything in it easier to hide.

Should something happen to the transponder key (like if it's lost or damaged) and IF I open the door with just the conventional "emergency" key, I'm pretty sure the alarm will go off at some point. Anyone know how long I've got to dig out a spare transponder key (hidden in a shielded container of some sort inside the truck) before the alarm sounds?

Also (okay, it's a 2-part question), just out of curiosity, does anyone know if it's possible to override the security system (alarm and engine disable) with just a plain key? I've searched the web and found that certain makes/models/years do have this ability, but couldn't find a procedure for the Gen 3 Tacoma.

TIA

2. Feb 13, 2018 at 12:17 PM
    over60

over60 Over70 & still a "Grumpy Old Guy"

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno (Punkin) TRD 4X4 Sport DCLB w/upgrade & tech pkg..!!
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.
    Your post is extremely confusing.....!! Your terminology is questionable. Push or Key start..?

Do you have the push button start..? Then you have a T/G key and the door key is in the FOB, correct..??

Why would you want store all that shit outside of the truck..?? Don't make any sense..?

What do you mean by "transponder" key... do you have a "key" to start the truck, or keyless..??

When you open the door with a key, the alarm will turn off. Why hide the FOB in a shielded container..?? Just turn it OFF if you want to leave it in the truck (hide it though).. To turn it off, press and hold the lock button, then push the unlock button 2X.... the red light will flash 4X... the FOB will not receive radio signals now. To turn back ON, just push lock or unlock again.

I think the fact that you used a KEY to open the truck, it shuts alarm OFF.

Dwell likes this.
  3. Feb 13, 2018 at 12:19 PM
    Skydvrr

Skydvrr IG: @kalopsianick

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    YMH
    Vehicle:
    Black '17 OR
    I think if u use OEM key to open door it won't trigger alarm.

4. Feb 13, 2018 at 12:39 PM
    over60

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.
    OK, I re-read your post again.... Looks like you have a key with the "remote" door opener built-in.... Key start..!!

Just get a key cut....(no chip). It will open the door and shut off alarm. Store your other key and stuff in the truck in a safe place.

Hide the "basic key" wherever you want. I got 1 cut for my 2016 T/G at Canadian Tire for $2.59 as I did not want to carry that fat-headed key around.....(I have the key-less start and a T/G key).

5. Feb 13, 2018 at 12:40 PM
    Ruminator

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northern Illinois, USA
    Vehicle:
    I was using the terminology straight out of the owner's manual (yeah, I know, "Who reads that stuff?"). Key start. Using one of these:

[​IMG]

No push button to start, lock cylinder in steering column. No mechanical key in a fob.

Why not? I want to stash a key on the outside of the truck, anyway. Who would think of looking for valuables stashed on the outside? Inside, sure. ...and I've got a really good spot on my current Ford Ranger. It's just a flat, 3" x 4" zip lock bag that's easy to get to, but you could be staring right at it and not know it's there.

Again, key.

Will it? If I were to use just a conventional key, no electronics, I'm pretty sure the alarm is still active. I could be wrong.

I just learned about this today. The key-fob thingy (shown above) does not have a "red light". Are we talking about the security system light on the dash?

I would like to stash a conventional, plain, stupid, mechanical key outside the truck. If I were to open a door with this mechanical key, would the alarm really be shut off?

6. Feb 13, 2018 at 12:57 PM
    Ruminator

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northern Illinois, USA
    Vehicle:
    I never know what to call these mechanical/electronic hybrid keys. Manual call them "Keys, Type C, Operating the wireless remote control function".

Okay, this is good to know. I will give it a try. Thanks...

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm new around here. What does "T/G" stand for?

7. Feb 13, 2018 at 2:03 PM
    CusterFan

CusterFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southeastern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Silver Sky 2019 Tacoma SR, AC, 4X2, 2.7
    The keyfob you have pictured is the "H-key" I had a flat key cut at the dealership to lock the door while my engine was running as I made my stops in town.

8. Feb 13, 2018 at 2:30 PM
    over60

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    No sweat man... we all gotta learn somehow. And us old guys don't always have all the answers..

What does "T/G" stand for.... Tail Gate...!!

16's have a separate key for T/G..!! I think yours fit T/G and ignition, right..?

9. Feb 13, 2018 at 6:42 PM
    Skydvrr

Skydvrr IG: @kalopsianick

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    YMH
    Vehicle:
    Black '17 OR
    Again, I think if you use a dumb key to open door it won't trigger Alarm. If you're inside the truck and lock it with your fob, then unlock the door manually and open it, the alarm should go off. From the exterior the alarm should not go off. Can u test this?

10. Feb 14, 2018 at 7:29 AM
    Ruminator

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northern Illinois, USA
    Vehicle:
    I will as soon as I can get to a locksmith to have a key made. Unfortunately, there are only 2 in the area and they both keep the same work hours as I do.

I'll report back when I've given it a try. Same goes for trying the "T/G". :)

Thanks to all for the replies.

11. Feb 14, 2018 at 7:43 AM
    phsycle

phsycle Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    You may even want to check with Toyota dealership. When I was getting the same thing made on a Honda, they only charged me ~$5.

12. Feb 14, 2018 at 7:47 AM
    Ruminator

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northern Illinois, USA
    Vehicle:

Whoa. I didn't think you could get anything from a dealership for $5. Thanks!

over60 likes this.
  13. Feb 19, 2018 at 1:02 PM
    Ruminator

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northern Illinois, USA
    Vehicle:
    Update...

Since I have a hard time getting over to a locksmith, I tried to have a mechanical key duplicated the hardware store. That went as well as expected. Fortunately that mistake only cost me $2.50.

Called the local Toyota dealer instead. They CAN make just a mechanical key to simply open the doors (no electronics, no programming) for $6.00. I was warned not to try to start the truck with the door key only as that will set a trouble code (and they charge $125 to reset it). The advantage of going to the dealer is that they cut the key from a code they get from Toyota, they're not copying a worn mechanical key.

Problem: They want proof of ownership and I.D. I haven't had the title transfered over to me yet, and probably won't for five or six more weeks. I'm waiting to see if I'm going to be transferring tags over from my '97 Ranger, or if I'm gong to be licensing the Tacoma separately. Kinda' depends on how well the Ranger is hangin' in there.

Summary: Going to the dealer for a spare key is the right way to go in this case (may not apply to keys with electronics that need programming, dunno'. They want $125 for that).

Thanks to phsycle for mentioning this option.

14. Feb 19, 2018 at 1:52 PM
    over60

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Does your cut key not work..???? Try filing the 'tip" of it just a bit and try again.... I had to do that for my T/G key..!!

15. Feb 19, 2018 at 1:58 PM
    Ruminator

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northern Illinois, USA
    Vehicle:
    You may be right. Seemed like it wasn't quite going in all the way. I will give that a try.

Products Discussed in

To Top