1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another LED Bed Light Thread

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Critical B, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Nov 14, 2013 at 6:11 PM
    gbell210

gbell210 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Poulsbo, WA
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Offroad DCSB
    One additional switch I may add later on, is a spring loaded hood pin type switch, or the magnetic one as the OP used, but mine will be for the tonneau cover opening. I would wire it in series with the toggle switch so I can override the power to the lights if I take the tonneau off to haul tall items.

2. Nov 14, 2013 at 10:22 PM
    J0HN_R1

J0HN_R1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.75" FR, Deaver 1.5" TSB leafs RR, SpiderTrax 1" spacers, custom LED interior & bed lights, 2005 4Runner Sport 17" wheels powder coated satin black
    x2... This weekend maybe.

:)

3. Nov 15, 2013 at 7:31 AM
    DonziGT230

DonziGT230 Gearhead

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    Hacienda Hts, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '07 base taco. Sold. Now Taco-less
    Factory cruise added, wood storage box in bed, wood center console/armrest, charcoal air filter delete.
    Changing the fuse doesn't bring the available power down, unless the fuse is lower rated than the load and then it pops. The fuse is there to protect the wiring, switch, etc. from an overload and should be calculated based on the entire circuit. A resistor does lower power and LEDs must have them, they are built into the strip so that your 12v. power is internally regulated.

4. Dec 21, 2013 at 4:37 PM
    TRD Toy85

TRD Toy85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    loaded 2013 TRD sport
    Im awaiting my light stip to come in, doing my homework still on the install process. Im really curious how you made your corners look so neat?

EDIT: Just found out what the corner connectors were . Looks super easy, thanks for your info and help

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  5. Dec 21, 2013 at 6:36 PM
    eyesurf2611

eyesurf2611 Well-Known Member

Member:
    714 & 808
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4X4 DCLB & 4th Gen T4R
    *Icon Extended Travel Coilovers w/ 700lb. Coil *TC UCA *Rear Icon 2.0 w/ Resi *Rear All Pro Standards *ArmorTech Shackle Flip *All Pro Flip Kit *F&R Wheelers Bumps *All Pro Front Bumper w/ 10,500 Winch *All Pro Front Skid Plate *All Pro Trans Skid Plate *All Pro Mid Exhaust Skid *All Pro Rear Bumper w/Hitch *Rocky Road Outfitters Rock Sliders *Method Rims *Custom Bead Locks *305-70-17 Nitto Terra Grapplers *Hanneman Fiberglass Front Fenders *EBC Stage 5 Brake Kit *Bed Mounted HiLift *FrontRunner Roof Rack *50" Dual Amber/White LED Light Bar w/ Roof Rail Brackets *Custom One Off Removable Bed Rack *Satoshi Grill w/ BAMF Bar and (2) 20" LED Light Bars *Leather and Heated Seats *Full Audio/Video System
    Nice write up and mod Critical B !! Finally someone come out and posted a bed light write up that doesn't cost $120!! You did it for less then $50. I did the same with a switch and eBay and Amazon deals for under $45! I just don't get why TW members are paying a certain person $115 and $120 for a bed light kit, 60% mark up on some china parts we all are getting from the same place. You should make kits and under sell him, super clean work you did, looks great! Keep it up and way to stay honest.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Dec 22, 2013 at 6:33 AM
    TRD Toy85

TRD Toy85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    loaded 2013 TRD sport
    Ya I'm not trying to knock the guy but I purchased enough parts to light up 2 truck beds for about 30-40$ on eBay . But I guess he is cutting them to length . If people want to pay an additional $80 for that then let them .

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  7. Feb 28, 2014 at 12:23 PM
    thebaker

thebaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Byron
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Upgraded to a 3rd gen
    Never ending......$$$
    Just bought all the items to do this mod. Gonna get done next week!!! Thanks for the write up!!!!

for those that did this mod, what AWG wiring size where you using and how much do you need? I bought 16AWG...hope this works.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  8. Mar 3, 2014 at 8:01 AM
    DonziGT230

DonziGT230 Gearhead

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    Hacienda Hts, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '07 base taco. Sold. Now Taco-less
    Factory cruise added, wood storage box in bed, wood center console/armrest, charcoal air filter delete.
    16 ga. is more than enough. As for length, depends on where you tap into. If you have a 7 way trailer plug it should have power so that would be the shortest and easiest access. You could also tap into taillight power, it'll force you to run the parking lights to illuminate the bed, but will guarantee they can't stay on unwanted draining the battery. Fuse it to no more than 5a. to protect the wiring of the strips which is very thin.

9. Mar 28, 2014 at 1:42 PM
    doughboy

doughboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    norcal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    hid head lights, hid fog lights, always on fog lights, bed lights
    I've read several bed light install, and I think this is the best one.

I really see no point in paying up to 5x premium if you end up having to do the hard part (the actual install) yourself anyway.

OP, that fuse tap in the engine compartment fuse box is a constant 12v source, right? I like the magnetic switch idea.

thanks for sharing without asking for anything in return. ;)

10. Mar 28, 2014 at 8:47 PM
    Critical B

Critical B [OP] Member

Member:
    Cleveland, OH
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner TSS Double Cab 4-Cyl
    Fog Lights, Auto-Tailgate Lock, White LED Interior Lights
    Glad this has been useful. You're right about the constant 12v tap.

11. Apr 28, 2014 at 5:51 AM
    Critical B

Critical B [OP] Member

Member:
    Cleveland, OH
    Vehicle:
    I took some time this weekend to help a friend setup his own set of bed lights and thought I'd share his solution. We did the same setup described above, but this time I pre-measured each strip and soldered the LED leads to the pins in the connectors. I wanted to test all the soldering and a 9v battery on my desk caught my eye. Sure enough, it powered all 3 strips. It was getting late so we installed the lights, but powered them via the 9v battery and stashed the battery in one of the cubbies. Since the lights will only come one when the tailgate opens, the battery should last a while.

For the record we used one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Leather...98688659&sr=8-1&keywords=9v+battery+connector

If it works, he may just throw a few spare 9v batteries in the glove box and roll with it.

I've also got one of these which would work well in the same application:

http://www.amazon.com/HitLights-Rec...88692&sr=8-4&keywords=12v+rechargable+battery

It's a full 12v, the one I have hooked up to to a light strip on my deck hasn't run down since I bought it in October, but having it in something mobile like a truck where you might need it and not have it charged could be a problem. In any case, this is definitely a good solution for someone who might not be comfortable running wiring to the engine compartment or messing around with their fuse box.

12. Apr 28, 2014 at 7:09 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    stock
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  13. Apr 28, 2014 at 9:02 AM
    doughboy

doughboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    norcal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    hid head lights, hid fog lights, always on fog lights, bed lights
    I started out with this version, but ended up with a slightly combination of best of all versions.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/li...ome-light-circuit-lots-pics-wire-routing.html

instead of a switch, I ended up hooking up to the dome light circuit. The original dome light circuit mod has an override switch that connects to ground. I did not do that since that only introduces a way for me to forget to turn off the switch. I just leave the door open if I need the light on longer. So it ended up as a really minimal circuit.

one thing I found out though during the install, it is easier to route the wire on the passenger side than the driver side. If wire needs to go inside the cab, it is also easier to go through the firewall where the hood release latch is.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  14. Apr 28, 2014 at 5:19 PM
    yoBr0ski

yoBr0ski Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB OffRoad
  15. Apr 28, 2014 at 5:28 PM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    I just popped the fuse for interior lights under the hood and pushed back down with wire under it to power mine. On the corners use some 3m molding tape. I also used the flex conduit and added some wire ties with mounting holes. Put the wire ties on and pull up to put upward tension at corners.

16. Apr 28, 2014 at 5:59 PM
    Critical B

Critical B [OP] Member

Member:
    Cleveland, OH
    Vehicle:

Good point - I don't anticipate having to leave my tailgate down that long, but if I ever did it's an extremely low draw on the battery and if I was really concerned about it I suppose I could just pop out the fuse.

I recognize for others that could be a problem, so for them I'd recommend just putting a toggle switch somewhere in the circuit and mount it inside the bed where it's easily accessible. That way you could switch the lights off when the gate is down if needed, otherwise they'll come on for you automatically. Best of both worlds :)

17. May 2, 2014 at 4:05 PM
    Arrowshot

Arrowshot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4X4
    A Crap Load

How many of the Hitlights connectors did you use??? I am thinking that you used two to connect the three light strips together and then one to connect them to the magnetic switch. Is that correct?
    Thanks

18. May 2, 2014 at 4:31 PM
    Critical B

Critical B [OP] Member

Member:
    Cleveland, OH
    Vehicle:

You're right about the two connectors for the three strips, but the strip comes with leads already built into one end, so that wires directly to the switch behind the hole I drilled in the bed.

19. May 6, 2014 at 3:40 PM
    Critical B

Critical B [OP] Member

Member:
    Cleveland, OH
    Vehicle:
    Speaking of those connectors, I noticed the lights dimming from time to time and becoming increasingly erratic. I checked the wiring and found some of the crimp connectors that I had wrapped in flex tubing and electrical tape had mostly corroded to powder. I pulled them out this weekend to rewire the whole thing (at least everything in the bed) with solder and shrink tubing. I took the opportunity to shorten the hit light connectors and I think they ended up looking a lot better this time.

[​IMG]

20. May 7, 2014 at 6:26 AM
    Arrowshot

Arrowshot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4X4
    A Crap Load
    Very good solution as well as looking good. Got my lights from Amazon the other day and waiting on the connectors.

Products Discussed in

To Top