1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another "Lift" question..Now with results

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by wedgemoose, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Aug 17, 2015 at 1:54 PM
    wedgemoose

wedgemoose [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wedge
    Worcester,MA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport
    I'm sorry men because I know there are a million threads on this. and I have been reading for hours. I even called a reputable shop that does lifts. After hours of reading and my phone call it turns out Tacoma's aren't a good idea to put a lift in? I'm kind of in shock!!! I have a 2014 sport and still paying on it. I don't want to lose the good ride or anything like that. But it seems like they are nothing but trouble? CV alignment, rough ride, UAA change sometime, driveshaft problems, etc. I want it to ride like it does now just 2" or 3" higher.

Am I out of luck? Or are people exaggerating on the problems that can happen. I don't care if the right kits are expensive. I just need to know is there one I can buy that would keep my new truck like new, but make it a few inches higher(so I can put nice rims and tires on and not look ridiculous).

I know the Bilstein leveling kit isn't ideal because the shocks don't have that much before they are maxed out(fully extended over a bump). I need a kit that keeps my geometry perfect but a little higher. Again, sorry because I know there are a million threads on this.

Thanks in advance.

valt0five likes this.
  2. Aug 17, 2015 at 2:07 PM
    Mavrick

Mavrick Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSBOR
    Is this a daily driver or do you actually need height for four wheeling?

3. Aug 17, 2015 at 2:11 PM
    Josh828

Josh828 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Avery NC
    Vehicle:
    14 White TRD Off road, Mid travel mountain truck
    FOX 2.5 extended travel, Fox 2.0 rears, LR UCA, XSPX rims, some light bars, and switches
    luchin, rico2834 and Kyitty like this.
  4. Aug 17, 2015 at 4:11 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Welcome to TW.

The amount of issues encountered depends on how high you go and the quality of product you buy. Stay around 2" and geometry remains good. Push to 3" and you open up a whole can of worms. I went about 2" up front, 1.5" in the rear and did not need to replace my UCAs or have any driveshaft issues, and have a good alignment, as Toyota offers the same 2" upfront from the factory on the TRD Pro model.

OME is an excellent quality lift and a favorite for good ride quality, you just need to choose your spring weight wisely. Another option for Bilstein is to get the 6112 and 5165s instead of the 5100s that are most common, these are similar to the TRD Pro model suspension.

I suggest lifting as low as necessary for a daily driver to retain the highest quality ride, handling, power and fuel economy (the later being affected by the heavier tires that come with the larger lifts).

mahaloTaco likes this.
  5. Aug 18, 2015 at 5:25 AM
    wedgemoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Wedge
    Worcester,MA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport
    Yes daily driver Maverick. Mostly for looks. But like to go in the woods now and then. But I would go now so as long as it would be like today I would be fine.

6. Aug 18, 2015 at 5:32 AM
    wedgemoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Wedge
    Worcester,MA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport

You have no idea how good this makes me feel Crash. Because I saw a dealership with a few TRD out front that were high and was saying to myself "how come they can have a lift and not me". And a 2" inch lift is fine. I just want mine to look like the TRD's I saw at that dealership. What lift do those come with? Can I make mine like the TRD pro buying parts from Toyota? In other words how do these Pro's get that height. do you know? is it suspension only? and will they fit my 2014 or are the 2016 totally different now

Sorry for all the questions but you knew exactly what I meant and after hours of reading you cleared everything up for me. I owe you sir!!!!

7. Aug 18, 2015 at 5:33 AM
    Mavrick

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSBOR
    If its just for looks I would give it some more thought. I've known guys that lifted their trucks and while it looks good you bring on other problems like low mpg, vibrations, steering wheel shake, poor handling, etc...

8. Aug 18, 2015 at 5:38 AM
    wedgemoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Wedge
    Worcester,MA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport
    Exactly Maverick. That's why I'm here. I really couldn't believe it when I started reading it. But I should of been more clear. I only want a little lift. It all started when I saw brand new trucks at as dealership that were the perfect height. I guess they are TRD Pro models. So I was wondering if I raise it 2" will I have these problems.

thanks for your help. Time to investigate the TRD Pro

9. Aug 18, 2015 at 5:40 AM
    Mavrick

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSBOR
    I don't know about only a 2 inch lift but just wanted to point out your opening a can of worms. If it was an off roader then go for it but for a daily freeway driver I would be hesitant. They do look cool going down the road but your not experiencing what the driver is fighting.

10. Aug 18, 2015 at 5:41 AM
    geekhouse23

geekhouse23 The "Liftman" - @DrFunker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2GMGMDCSB4WDTRDFTMFW!! TL;DR
    mostly stock, grocery gettin' Prius
    Any ideas on budget to helps us help you?

11. Aug 18, 2015 at 5:55 AM
    jethro

jethro Master Baiter

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    Again, we ask, what is the lift for? Form or function?

12. Aug 18, 2015 at 6:14 AM
    wedgemoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Wedge
    Worcester,MA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport
    I Mostly form. I want it like it is now but higher. Right now my Tacoma drives like a Cadillac on the hwy going 75 mph. But if I wanted to go off road I can because I have a Toyota Tacoma. I know I can't rock climb like it is now but I can go in the woods (for camping or fun or just drive down a dirt road for the hell of it).

I want it to be the exact same(still great on the road going 75) but just a little higher. 2" high is fine. Even 1.5" would be good.

I live in Worcester Massachusetts. There is a dealer here called Harr Toyota. They have four tacoma's out front lifted with beautiful rims and tires on them. I just called to see what was up. The guy I got on the phone said "they lifted them". Not Toyota parts but aftermarket lifts. They look to be about 2" higher than my stock Tacoma.

I attached a pic. I'm wondering why a dealer would lift a brand new truck if there is the possibilities of problems? Unless they just want to sell the people taking them in the woods mainly. Or like Crash said, a 2" won't hurt it much. Budget is no problem. I would spend whatever it takes to do this. Of course within reason. I don't want to drop 5G into a lift. But not afraid of up to $2000 if I have to spend that to make it right.

P.S. you can see the other trucks in the background. I didn't have my Tacoma when I stopped to take these. But these are about 2" higher than mine is with out actually measuring. I'm wondering if they used the OME lift. I'll go check it out better tonight. I live close by. what do I look for? It looks like they have the stock Bilstein shocks in it?

How is this dealer doing it? Or a0815151925.jpg re they just idiots and these people that buy these are going to have problems?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  13. Aug 18, 2015 at 6:21 AM
    Rippin101

Rippin101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Jax Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport 4x4
    -Nitto G2 265/70/17 -Level 8 MK6 Wheels -Katzkin Leather Black on Black -BHLM -Weathertech -Extang Solid Fold -Bedlight LEDs -TRD Skid
    ^ looks good, but I suspect like most dealers, they used a spacer lift...

DustStorm4x4 and ready6delta like this.
  14. Aug 18, 2015 at 6:21 AM
    Bluegrass Taco

Bluegrass Taco Politically incorrect low tech redneck

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Mt Washington Ky
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB, TRD OR, 5100's, 885's 285/75r16 Cooper STT PROs.
    If you change ANYTHING.....It's gonna be "different". That doesn't always equate to "bad".....just different.

Then, throw in personal opinions, based on anecdotal observations, and you don't always get the straight scoop.

And THEN, no 2 people interpret opinions/comments/facts/observations the same way.

Point being? You could have 100 different people climb in the cab of the very same truck, and you might get 100 different opinions of "ride quality", etc.....

I've played around with 4wds since the early '70's. I'm on personal 4wd #17 at this moment. I've put lift kits on for a number of friends, both years ago, and here recently. The recent ones have been 3 Tacomas. (1 mine, 2 friends)

Mine got a packaged 4-1/2" "lift kit" that included shocks, coils, rear springs, etc. It made the truck ride a little stiffer at low speeds, but I expected that. I've heard numerous comments on how this kit rides. It was anywhere from "WAY BETTER" to "Rides like a log wagon". I find it just fine and as I said, what I expected.

Next I did a "leveler kit" on a buddies truck. It uses stock shocks and coils, and a 1" rear block. Spring rates stayed the same. 1" blocks don't cause spring wrap up that I can tell. The truck rides IDENTICAL to what it did prior to the kit, just 3" higher. The change actually brought the front end geometry CLOSER to spec than it was before the kit. The truck DRIVES much better. (straighter, less drift side to side) If you read enough, you'd begin to think spacer kits were the cause of the Bubonic Plague, they killed John Kennedy, and your truck will explode if you try to wheel it.....I'm seeing different results.

The 3rd kit was bought second hand. It was MOSTLY as packaged kit from a reputable brand. It raised the truck 4". It is one of the most popular brands of kits available with the exception of having a different brand of REAR shocks included with what my friend bought. It rides a little harsh at highway speeds for my liking. If you read enough, you'll think this kit is capable of turning a dump truck into a Lexus as far as ride. I found it to be different.

Back to that "point" thingy again...... NOTHING you do to alter a vehicles suspension will leave it the very same in all instances. What some people say is a mistake may be PERFECT for your needs. If you want a ride like a Lexus....Get a Lexus.....If you want a 4wd truck that LOOKS like a 4wd truck and performs like a 4wd truck should, you probably won't get it to ride like you're floating on a cloud. But it IS possible to get a decent ride, decent performance, and good looks. You just have to make compromises in some situations.

Just MY opinion, and worth EXACTLY what you paid for it. YMMV.

@Bnavillus, AZ2013, Coolerman and 2 others like this.
  15. Aug 18, 2015 at 6:21 AM
    geekhouse23

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Anytime a deal has a lifted truck, it could likely be Pro Comp or Pro Crap. The rear has the baby blue shock boots like the stock Bilsteins have so it could just be a block spacer or AAL in the rear at least. That leads me to believe that it's blocks and spacers all around. Subbed to see what lift it is provided you can get some pics tonight.

My recommendation for an inexpensive 2" lift

Bilstein 5100s on all 4 corners on stock coils and either Wheeler's or Icon's progressive AAL pack.

16. Aug 18, 2015 at 6:38 AM
    wedgemoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Wedge
    Worcester,MA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport
    Exactly Bluegrass. That's why I'm here. I was going crazy reading all the bad points. And your right, I know it won't be "exactly" the same. I should of said "close" instead. And yes I know I have a truck. And love a truck being stiff!!!!! I think the suspension is too soft in these things as it is. But I don't want rock solid stiff. Just a little stiffer than stock. I like when a truck is brand new and you hit a bump and feel that nice stiff suspension. But not so stiff that it throws me all over the road. You guys are great. You know exactly what I'm asking and answering me perfect. you guys are the best!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Aug 18, 2015 at 6:41 AM
    wedgemoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Wedge
    Worcester,MA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport

I will look tonight. I took a peak last time but didn't know what I was looking for then. I'm a wrench but didn't get down and dirty last time. This time I'll stick my ugly head everywhere possible to see what those Taco's have in them

18. Aug 18, 2015 at 7:06 AM
    lee enfield

lee enfield Member

Member:
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Pyrite Mica 4dr
    just starting
    Interesting stuff. I'm shopping around for a similar lift and looked at a Ready lift 2.25"/1" spacer kit. Will keep an eye on this thread and a few others here before pulling the trigger. Thanks

19. Aug 18, 2015 at 7:10 AM
    wedgemoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Wedge
    Worcester,MA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport

Just remembered something GeekHouse. I did get on my knee's and look at the rear springs. It didn't have blocks. I looked to see if it was a body lift but saw no hockey pucks. Then I looked at the leafs and did NOT see a block. But I'll double check tonight to be sure

20. Aug 18, 2015 at 7:11 AM
    geekhouse23

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Interested to know a leaf count in the packs.

Products Discussed in

To Top