1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another newbie, non-Tacoma owner (yet)

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Steve-B, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Dec 28, 2007 at 12:05 PM
    Steve-B

Steve-B [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 GMC Sierra
    Thought I would take this opportunity to say 'hello'. I'm 49, married w/two daughters (18 & 20). I've been researching trucks and have all but settled on a Tacoma. I've always owned full-size trucks, but since the 2nd Gen Taco came out, I discovered that it's almost as big (interior cab) as my current ride ('97 GMC Sierra extended cab). I'm leaning more toward the Double Cab PreRunner, because I tend to drive my vehicle a long time and I want to have room for future grandchildren. A friend has owned 3 Tacomas and assured me he had no problems with any of them (that alone is reason enough to buy one). The superior MPG (over any full-size) is another reason I'll almost certainly buy one.

2. Dec 28, 2007 at 12:10 PM
    Steve-B

Steve-B [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 GMC Sierra
    I'll need something that can be used as an alternative family vehicle to cut down on the miles we're putting on my DW's '02 TrailBlazer.
    How does the ride of a Double-Cab PreRunner compare with vehicles similar to my wife's?
    Also, are any of the various MPG-stretching modifications worth the money spent?

3. Dec 28, 2007 at 12:10 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    Welcome. I don't think you will go wrong with the Tacoma. I have the same setup that you are looking at and I am very happy with it. I've heard that the TRD seats are much better for extended drives, so I'd look into that if I was you. I wish my seats (non-TRD) were a but more comfortable.

Your daughters will be safe here, I think they're too old for the Carolina Alliance guys. Seriously, you should avoid them at all costs.

4. Dec 28, 2007 at 12:14 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    Driving like a grandpa would help. I drive like a teenager again and I get pretty bad mileage (~14 mpg all city.) The ECO-VP thing was tested here pretty extensively and it looks like it does help, but I'm not jumping onboard yet.

We seem to have rain whenever I need to haul luggage in the bed of my truck. I don't have a cover, so we usually end up taking my wife's CR-V. I wouldn't dream of ever getting a trailblazer. My tacoma is too much fun to drive and I can handle taking the CR-V to the airport every once in a while.

5. Dec 28, 2007 at 12:31 PM
    2003greenbean

2003greenbean Carolina Alliance Costal Div

Member:
    socaste,sc
    Vehicle:
    03 trd
    cold air intake, step bars, custom grill, 3in lift,12 in audiobahn sub, 285/75/16 procomp tires, 20% tint,
    not all of us are that bad
    you cant go wrong with the tacoma

6. Dec 29, 2007 at 8:21 AM
    Don G

Don G Old Goat

Member:
    Southern Tier New York
    Vehicle:
    "08" Tacoma Access Cab TRD Sport 4X4
    Welcome Steve! !! You came to the right place:)

Happy New Year! !!

Don G

7. Dec 29, 2007 at 8:32 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....

you got that right.......on both statements!!

welcome to tw!!

8. Dec 29, 2007 at 9:03 AM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Welcome Steve, I have a DC but it's a 4x4. I enjoy the fact that if it rains I can put items in the back seat, and if I ever get friends they also could ride in there. Two years ago I drove an 05 across the country, no complaints. The real fuel milage gains are better but not earth moving, the auto might serve you better if more than you would be driving the truck, the 6 speed is a little different and might cause a furrowed brow. All this said, I feel that the Tacoma is the truck to have, I have driven them all and most will work but there is something really special about a Taco. Good luck, keep us informed, don't let the dealers beat you up, this is a buyers market. :D

9. Dec 29, 2007 at 9:36 AM
    Charli

Charli Stealer of Souls

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck?
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '06 Black Sand 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport V6 Access Ca
    Towing pkg with Mossberg hitch cover, Toyota tube steps, 3" Toytec lift and TSB, 1" diff drop, Tacoma World sticker, sockmonkey decals
    Welcome! This is my second Taco, and I've not had problems with either (so far on the new one). Hubby had a Taco as well that he finally had to let go of because of frame rot (it was a 1988), but he still waxes nostalgic about that beast and it had well over 200,000 on it. The engine would still be going (and possibly is!) if it weren't for the frame crack. As everyone has said, you can't go wrong with a Taco!

10. Dec 29, 2007 at 9:47 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    cajuns have jokes on fellow southerners..i see how it is....plus my wife is 21, so HA

11. Dec 29, 2007 at 9:51 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    hey, and my wife is about to be 27 in a few months. i reckon Isocoee is wrong again!!

Products Discussed in

To Top