1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another Stealth CB Installation

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jbrnigan, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Jun 16, 2015 at 5:51 PM
    jbrnigan

jbrnigan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport, 4X4, 4.0L, Auto - Access Cab
    I decided to move the Cobra 75WXST C.B. radio from my motor coach to my Tacoma. The nifty thing about the 75WXST is that by purchasing just the remote connector, the radio can be moved from vehicle to vehicle. I started first by cutting the power/ground wire and installing a metri-pak connector, then hard wiring the power/ground wire to the fuse block under the dash using a fuse tap. This allows the remote connector to be easily disconnected from the wire harness. I then crafted a base for the remote connector using plexi-glass to attach a strip of Velcro to secure the remote to the carpet under the passenger seat.

I used Wilson magnetic antenna

Using adhesive wire clips, I secured the antenna coax to the rear window and placed a clip in the door jamb where the coax enters the cab.

The coax connects to the remote connector under the seat

The control unit plugs into the remote and hangs on a microphone clip, clipped to the glove box

The microphone clip is crafted from an adhesive clip, glued to an old credit card, heated with a heat gun to bend it into a hook, then trimmed to fit the clip. It can be removed by opening the glove box.

Lastly, for use on the trail where low clearances may be an issue, I crafted a bracket (similar to an inverted "L"), mounted to the bed rail that sits just under the tonneau cover. The antenna can be moved from the roof to the tonneau cover. The antenna is secure up to 65 mph.

My SWR readings are 1.2 on channels 1 and 40, on the roof, 2.8 on the bed mount. The whole shebang is easily removed without a tell tale trace of ever have been installed.

Products Discussed in

To Top