1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another stupid "locker mod" question?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TRDfly, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Dec 8, 2009 at 7:55 PM
    TRDfly

TRDfly [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Traverse City, MI
    Vehicle:
    Silver 07 DC, TRD off-road....it's the bomb!!
    DRL, Black Headlight mod, H.I.D's, Wet Ass Seatcovers, White instrument cluster, Illuminated 4x4 switch.
    So I've been reading about a hundred different "locker mod" threads and I seem to be no better off understanding this. Here is the situation; I have an 07 TRD Off Road with a locker and none of that other fancy stuff, VSC, side airbags etc. I live in an area where there is snow form 3-6 months out of the year. I end up using 4HI most times but are constantly switching back to 2WD which really is like 1WD!! My right rear wheel will spin if I'm in an area with a bit of sleet and I give it just too much gas. Will doing this "mod" help? In other words, can I use this "locker mod" all the time, some times and will it work above 5mph? I've read the manual and I understand under "normal" use the locker locks the rear diff but states "do not driver faster then 5mph". Will doing this mod allow me to keep the rear locked as a cheap mans suedo LSD, eliminating the 1WD (one wheel spinning)? Is this bad for the Diff/rear end? Will my ABS still work? Will the sky start falling? Will cats and dogs start living together? Are there any other components I could be harming with doing this? :annoyed:

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Dec 8, 2009 at 8:23 PM
    xodeuce

xodeuce mmmmmmbourbon.

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    If you're spinning one wheel without the locker, with the locker you might break free if the other has significant traction. Generally speaking though a locker on snow / ice is a good way to lose the back end. With it locked, the inside wheel will be forced to spin the same speed as the outside wheel which will be faster than it needs to. This in turn will break traction on the inside wheel, and you'll be using only traction on the outside wheel. This will more than likely not be sufficient traction to keep you on line in your turn, and you'll lose the back end. If we're just talking going in a straight line to get started, the locker might have an application there, but I would never ever use it on snow / ice while driving normally.

3. Dec 8, 2009 at 8:37 PM
    Cryer

Cryer O shizzle!

Member:
    Bryan, Tx
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma TRD Sport
    3" lift
    i have this mod done. it will engage in 2wd. and yes you can go more than 5 mph. just try not to turn on pavement. it will make some wheel hop and possibly mess up the diff.

it also is just like having the locker on normally. kills abs and traction stuff. as far as i know

Products Discussed in

To Top