1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anti freeze stink

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by FTB530, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Jan 14, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    FTB530

FTB530 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yuba City Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2005 toyota tacoma
    level kit,air raid intake,
    I had my radiator flushed at the dealer a couple months ago(working a lot no time to take it back in) I see no leaks , the level is fine. no heating problem.fluid is full. most of the time when i start the truck and turn on the fans i smell coolant,and its a bad smell, any ideas why it happens,?

2. Jan 15, 2012 at 9:38 AM
    FTB530

Member:
    Yuba City Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2005 toyota tacoma
    OK maybe bad wasn't a good choice of word to use.
    How about it is a sickly sweet smell that is to much to have to inhale all the time while driving my truck ,Better,i knew it was sweet smelling i meant it was a bad to have to smell it.

P.S. i'm not a English major sorry !

3. Jan 15, 2012 at 9:42 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Top it off and monitor the coolant level. You need to make absolutely sure that's what you are smelling. If the level goes down then you have a leak. If it's just inside the truck, it's possible the coolant flush destroyed a soldered seam in the heater core inside the dash. Stop leak might fix that temporarily but it really should be replaced.

It's also entirely possible you just have a loose hose that is leaking under the hood and then the smell comes in your vents. I have had hoses leak only when cold. Start the truck first thing in the morning, drive a few blocks, stop and check under the hood. Anything farther than that and the engine warms up and evaporates the coolant.

This is why I don't allow anything to be "flushed". Drain and fill only on coolant and lubricating oils. Flushing tends to dislodge gunk that is covering up marginal seals and gaskets.

4. Jan 15, 2012 at 10:40 AM
    FTB530

Member:
    Yuba City Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2005 toyota tacoma

Products Discussed in

To Top