1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ants, ants and more ants around the door frame

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Mr.Gadget, May 6, 2013.

1. May 6, 2013 at 9:13 AM
    Mr.Gadget

Mr.Gadget [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC 4x4 SR5 SB/2012 DC 4x4 SR5 LB(sold)
    2012, got a problem with a bunch of ants all the time.
    Wife has a 2011, never problem, park in the same place other then work and nothing around the spot at work.
    For some reason they seem to be aroud the driver side door. THe around the rubber molding gasket and plastic at the bottom of the door.
    I'm seeing them all the time.
    I spray and they die only to come back in short order like something is drawing them to the door area or truck.
    Is there someplace that would hold water in the door or around the trim.
    The trim is wet from time to time for no reason and dirt at the bottom at the holes that look like drains in the door skin.

Any thoughts, anyone else seen this.
    BTW never see them on the outside of the truck around any tires or anyplace they would get on the truck.

Not reall seeing them inside other then a few as when you open the door some may come in.
    most just around the Driver door and one time the PDoor.

2. May 6, 2013 at 9:17 AM
    Hairy Taco

Hairy Taco Jungle of Love

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    North of Hell
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD
    Bizzare. Can't see why ants would nest in a truck. Do you have a lot of crap accumulating underneath from mudding or something? What would they nest in otherwise?

3. May 6, 2013 at 11:14 AM
    J88logue

J88logue NorthWest Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    HWY 30
    Vehicle:
    02 D.C. TRD
    Clicko BUILDo
    I use WD40 to kill ants.

4. May 6, 2013 at 1:08 PM
    Hairy Taco

Hairy Taco Jungle of Love

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    North of Hell
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD
    an unfortunate series of events...

5. May 6, 2013 at 1:17 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    And windex

6. May 6, 2013 at 1:20 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Open the door , pop open the little cover at the base of the frame ( on the truck not the door ) towards the front fender , lots of debris can get caught in there

7. May 6, 2013 at 1:27 PM
    aubi1414

aubi1414 War Eagle!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Pensacola, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport Blue Ribbon Metallic
    LED Dome, LED Map, LED License Plate Bulbs, , Konig SixShooters Matte Black, Toyo Open Country ATII's 285 70 17, Satoshi, Bilstein 5100s (set to 0), 885s, LR UCA's, Icon RR 2.0 +2, All Pro Standard 3" Leaf Pack, All Pro Flip Kit, Sway Bar Relocate, Exhaust Chop, Antenna X 14", Debadged, Tint, Matt123 Black TRD Skid, Black Weathertech Mats
    409 works too. This happened on my old 95.5 tacoma and I had no mud on it no food crumbs etc. in my vehicle. I have no idea but I just dumped 7 dust all on them and where they were coming from then vacuumed out. I also spread the seven dust all on the ground around my truck and never saw them again :)

8. May 6, 2013 at 1:29 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Your user name is both fitting and is quite excellent.

9. May 6, 2013 at 1:30 PM
    whahahajr

whahahajr Lone Star Club

Member:
    First Name:
    jimbob
    New Braunfels, Tx
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD
    Camburg Uniball UCA, ARB Front Bumper, TAG rear bumper, OME rear shocks, All Pro 3" leaf springs
    Had this problem with my old truck which had a water leak. I think they were water ants. I spayed it and cleaned out all the mud. I used the ortho home defense spray to keep them out. Worked for me.

I also sprayed every where I thought they could come in under the truck

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  10. May 6, 2013 at 1:59 PM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Since most ant species are genetically programmed to dig & tunnel, they don't usually nest in solid metal vehicles & similar. Thus, they're far more likely coming from somewhere else.

I'd look into where the truck is being parked for extended periods. Are you parking in an area (at home, at work, in the garage, etc) that is infested with ants? If so, you may want to address the problem at the source (by parking elsewhere, treating the problem area with pesticides, etc).

11. May 6, 2013 at 2:04 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Look here

[​IMG]

12. May 6, 2013 at 2:13 PM
    Gooiegoogoo

Gooiegoogoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gustavo
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD SR5
    2" lift
    sprinkle a product called Maxforce Complete by Bayer in the truck and around the truck where ever you park it. It is a granular bait for ants which they take into the colony it works very well. If they are super tiny ants crush the granular into a powder to make it easy for them to carry and eat. Gid rid of the colony = get rid of ants in your truck.

13. May 6, 2013 at 2:16 PM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    I'm sorry man but that shit made me laugh out loud. Sorry about your girlfriend. It just sounded like one of those... "hold my beer and watch this!" moments.

14. May 6, 2013 at 2:27 PM
    Mr.Gadget

Mr.Gadget [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC 4x4 SR5 SB/2012 DC 4x4 SR5 LB(sold)
    Yep did that, wife has a year older truck and is next to mine other then work and the two guys I park next to never had a problem and we looked to see if they are around the parking lot in that area. Did not find any.

Truck does not go off road really, I pull on a farm path in Oct Nov Dec for hunting but not any mud and most the time never need 4x4.
    Always parked on a hard surface for the most part.

It looks like it is in the door area and door only as I do not find only a few that are inside the truck.
    Some try when you open the door.
    I think they are around or behind the rubber seal in the door or the door it self. I may take some WD 40 and spray inside the drain holes at the bottom of the door.

15. May 6, 2013 at 3:13 PM
    stewartx

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    ^^ Well, you can always try chemical warfare. Ants use scent trails to direct other ants in the colony to food sources, dangers, and so on. If ants are returning to that area over and over, it's likely been marked by such a scent trail. That scent can be easily overwhelmed by any strong chemical odor (perfume, Lysol spray, etc). Treat the area several times over a week or so and see if the problem disappears.

By the way, this same tactic can be used to completely destroy an ant nest. Stir up the nest using a stick or similar. Dig deep to get as many warrior ants to the surface as possible. Once enough warrior ants are on the surface to defend the nest, spray them with Lysol spray (the ammonia stings them and the perfume masks the scent of the other ants in the colony). Those warrior ants will then go about the task of killing every single ant (a perceived enemy) in the colony. Afterwards, they'll die because there are no worker ants finding food to feed them.

16. May 6, 2013 at 3:27 PM
    EG555

EG555 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Edgar
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    stock '13 PreRunner TRD O/R
    I have got to try this to get rid of the ants outside, looks like fun:D

17. May 6, 2013 at 3:49 PM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    That's some wild $hit right there! lol

18. May 6, 2013 at 4:57 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    ^^ ??

19. May 6, 2013 at 10:04 PM
    stewartx

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    Just make sure not to wait too long between stirring up the nest and getting the heck out of there. You want enough warrior ants on the surface to do the job (wait for it), but remember they'll spread out searching for whatever is attacking their nest. That means you. Watch carefully, spray the Lysol, and then find somewhere else to be.

LOL. True. But it really does work. I've done it many times - perfecting the system each time. If it wasn't for the risk of getting bitten by the ants (or, in my case, bitten by the resulting lawsuits), I'd package it as a product for sale.

20. May 6, 2013 at 11:17 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    One word: SUGAR
    It attracts ants like no other, you haven't spilled a soda or lost a piece of candy under the seat or something have you? They could be trying to get in just for that. You'd be amazed what they will do for sugar.

Products Discussed in

To Top