1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anxiety / Depression

Discussion in 'Health' started by crashngiggles, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Aug 6, 2018 at 6:06 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Ive had depression a few times, first time I didn’t recognize it for months. Didnt want to do anything, went to work, came home, repeat. Caused a huge issue with the wife but I finally recognized and accepted the issue and started doing things to fix it.

I really think a lot of people suffer from depression and anxiety but cover it up by acting macho and tough. Especially here on a “tough guy truck forum” but I’m glad to see people writing about it and supporting others here.

I’m a high school teacher and see signs of both in students all the time. I’ll say here what I’ve said to some of my students, find something that makes you happy. Spending time outside is a huge benefit, unplugging from tech and especially social media is another.

Don’t be ashamed to admit that you need help.

Capt_Awesome, Age315 and Tatts521 like this.
  2. Aug 6, 2018 at 6:14 PM
    Tatts521

Tatts521 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    New Jersey, Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2012 tacoma-00 honda accord-04cbr1000rr-22ktm890duke R-19 wr450f-98rm250
    Thanks for sharing. I always feel it's easier to talk to people that deal with the same issues.

Age315 likes this.
  3. Aug 12, 2018 at 5:09 AM
    Markcal

Markcal Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks for the work you do teaching and going above/beyond with the advice you offer your students. Ironically, I need to heed your advice myself, as I find myself getting in a rut and seems to be like lifting a mountain at times to get myself to do things, but when I take the advice you offered everything in my life seems so much easier. Being outside and unplugging make life so much more enjoyable, kind of wish we were pre-1995 when there was no internet and more social interaction.

4. Aug 12, 2018 at 4:26 PM
    Tactical_Panda

Tactical_Panda Armchair Anarchist

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Double Cab, Off-Road Edition
    AJT Designs Shifter AJT Designs Battery Hold-Down ARB Awning 2500x2500 ARB Twin Compressor w/ Slee Offroad Mounting Bracket Avid Brush Bar Avid Step Bars Black Rock Wheels Series 997 Type 8 Circuit Breaker/Relay Panel Custom TRD Decals Bulletproof Fabricating Raptor Grill Bulletproof Fabricating Cooling Panel Bulletproof Fabricating Tow Hook Duluth Trading Company Dog Hammock Exhaust Breather Mod eBay Special 3-Gallon Air Tank Expedition Essentials TPAM EZ Down tailgate damper Flagpole Mounts, Dual Foglight Mod Front Camera Rear Camera; full time available General Grabber tires Goat Armor Hella Supertone Horns Iggy Switch Panel Icon Dynamics Stage 3 Suspension Katskin Leather Interior KickAss camp shower LED Bed Lights LED Interior Lights Midland MXT275 GMRS Two-Way Radio OEM Audio Plus Reference 500 audio upgrade Plano Cases. 42" roof mounted, X2 Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle Prinsu Cab Rack Prinsu-like Shell Rack Redline Tuning Hood Struts Rigid Industries 40" Light Bar Rigid Industries Ditch Lights Rigid Industries Spotlights Toyota Bed Step UltraGauge EM Plus v1.4 Vixen Air Horns, Four-Trumpet Whole bunch of decals worth about 5HP each Yakima Road Shower, 10-gal
    Yo! Checking in.

I was first diagnosed in 1994 but hindsight tells me I've probably had it since childhood. I'm fairly stable but I take a shit-ton of medications to stay that way.

5. Aug 12, 2018 at 5:03 PM
    Markcal

Member:
    Kudos to you Tim for sharing something so personal and for having the courage to seek treatment.

P.S. - I have been trying to spend less time on TW and just read an article how our phones get us hooked. One of the things they mentioned is how the color red gives us "Phone-gasm", as we get a small release of dopamine. The color makes us uncomfortable on a subconscious level. Seeing it can release a small dose of cortisol, the stress hormone, which makes us want to click the app to get rid of them. This stress is followed by a small release of dopamine — the pleasure hormone, the same as when you orgasm — when we read the message, creating an addictive cycle which can be hard to escape, so I have decided to turn off all my alerts on TW and see if that make this site less appealing.

6. Aug 12, 2018 at 5:21 PM
    Markcal

Member:
    @Salty_Dog - I think turning off my TW alerts is what I needed. You just liked my comment and usually when people do that I do get a little dopamine buzz (...haha), but I didn't feel anything when you like my comment, so I hope that will make this site less appealing and me doing more important things in this short life we all live. :bananadance: :fingerscrossed:

P.S. - Sorry if I gave you an unwanted dopamine buzz with the red alert when I tagged you if you have them enabled.

7. Aug 12, 2018 at 5:23 PM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    AJT Designs Shifter AJT Designs Battery Hold-Down ARB Awning 2500x2500 ARB Twin Compressor w/ Slee Offroad Mounting Bracket Avid Brush Bar Avid Step Bars Black Rock Wheels Series 997 Type 8 Circuit Breaker/Relay Panel Custom TRD Decals Bulletproof Fabricating Raptor Grill Bulletproof Fabricating Cooling Panel Bulletproof Fabricating Tow Hook Duluth Trading Company Dog Hammock Exhaust Breather Mod eBay Special 3-Gallon Air Tank Expedition Essentials TPAM EZ Down tailgate damper Flagpole Mounts, Dual Foglight Mod Front Camera Rear Camera; full time available General Grabber tires Goat Armor Hella Supertone Horns Iggy Switch Panel Icon Dynamics Stage 3 Suspension Katskin Leather Interior KickAss camp shower LED Bed Lights LED Interior Lights Midland MXT275 GMRS Two-Way Radio OEM Audio Plus Reference 500 audio upgrade Plano Cases. 42" roof mounted, X2 Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle Prinsu Cab Rack Prinsu-like Shell Rack Redline Tuning Hood Struts Rigid Industries 40" Light Bar Rigid Industries Ditch Lights Rigid Industries Spotlights Toyota Bed Step UltraGauge EM Plus v1.4 Vixen Air Horns, Four-Trumpet Whole bunch of decals worth about 5HP each Yakima Road Shower, 10-gal
    I set mine to notify me only if someone quotes my post or tags me. I turned off the alert for "Likes".

8. Aug 12, 2018 at 5:31 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    I guess that’s why I loved my old red mini truck; the “pleasure hormone” and twisting the torsion bars all the way down didn’t hurt

9. Aug 12, 2018 at 5:31 PM
    Markcal

Member:
    Yeah, I was thinking about doing that, but I like it too much now not having any alerts. Maybe in the future, I will enable just those two. Addiction stinks and cold turkey is my only hope...haha. Take care, Mark

10. Aug 12, 2018 at 5:32 PM
    Markcal

Member:
    :rofl:

11. Aug 12, 2018 at 5:39 PM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    A lot of people see medications as an admission of weakness. I don't. For me they were a lifesaver. Literally.

jeff b[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Aug 12, 2018 at 5:42 PM
    Markcal

Member:
    I know where you are coming from Jeff b, at least you aren't in denial and they say that is the first step. Sometimes I feel like I get so caught up in my own thoughts that finding a solution doesn't seem possible.

jeff b[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Aug 12, 2018 at 5:51 PM
    Markcal

Member:
    Tim, please don't listen to those people because you are proof that it does work.

14. Sep 30, 2018 at 12:52 PM
    fedup

fedup Well-Known Member

Member:
    If a person has made it to 50 years, they've suffered depression at some point, likely anyway. Pre-1990, people were expected to just be quiet about it, people are more open about it today. I used to have a big problem with in it my teenage years and off and on in my 20s. It got so bad at times that I'd feel nauseated. I'm that guy, "Hey Todd, let's go to this party." "Nahhh, I don't really want to." "Yeah you do, c'mon, c'mon." "I don't want to go man." "Yeah you do, it'll be fun, c'mon." "No I'm just going to stay here." "No, c'mon man, nothing to do here, c'mon, c'mon, c'mon." "OK! Gawww! I'll go!" I read some books to try to figure it out, did a lot of running, walking and thinking at the time. Then one night, while I was running, I figured it out. It was a combo of basically two things. I was expecting too much out of life, and there wasn't a job out there I could think of that I'd enjoy going to. I was trying to see myself through the eyes of other people, hadn't met myself yet. "Hey Todd, just be yourself." I didn't know what the hell that meant. Later, in the biz world, I was a Systems Analyst at the time and hated it. My weekends were often ruined because problems would pop up on Friday so I'd spend the weekend trying to figure it out. I'm not selfish but I'm about 'me' now and not about what others expect, within reason. The depression went away almost immediately after all those years, I can't imagine being depressed like that today and can barely relate to having the depression I used to have. Health issues can be tougher though. I remember getting depressed when I was 9 or 10 years old when I realized my parents were going to die some day so it started early.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    Tatts521, JmsWms and jeff b like this.
  15. Sep 30, 2018 at 12:56 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    B6E4DBAB-282D-48C3-811B-D2C1E7B85C09.jpg I just enjoy the dog and pony show. Edit: and dreaming of things to do to this

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  16. Dec 13, 2018 at 9:07 PM
    sr5tacoma17

sr5tacoma17 Active Member

Member:
    Anxiety and depression are very common mental health disorders (you’re not alone) and also very treatable disorders. Don’t live with anxiety and depression! They are treatable. See a therapist.

17. Feb 18, 2019 at 4:36 AM
    crashngiggles

crashngiggles [OP] Tacomaworld's Resident Psych Dr.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Wilbraham, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM TRD 4x4 DCLB Trail Limo
    this is something that I would like to put out there. It is a five minute YouTube video that I have a lot of my clients watch. The good thing about it is that it can evoke a number of different emotions but also give you the sense that you are not alone throughout whatever you are going through. I urge the community to watch it and pass it along recognizing that, sometimes, we all need the help of others to navigate this very difficult world we now live in.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7OGY1Jxp3o

vssman, c0climber and Markcal like this.
  18. Feb 24, 2019 at 8:56 AM
    Azza

Azza ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ

Member:
    Anxiety? Shit, my anxiety has anxiety.

19. Mar 25, 2019 at 6:50 PM
    Mulepadre

Mulepadre Mulepadre

Member:
    Central Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2003 Std Cab 2.7L 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Deaver Leaf Springs, JBA UCAs
    I used to have panic attacks.
    It ended up getting me to leave my career as an architect and go into the ministry.
    Now I give other people anxiety...

20. Apr 18, 2019 at 7:01 PM
    crashngiggles

crashngiggles [OP] Tacomaworld's Resident Psych Dr.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Wilbraham, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM TRD 4x4 DCLB Trail Limo
    Please take some time to watch this video. So many people battle each day in the shadows. So many of their loved ones not knowing how to support them thinking that it's a choice, a light switch to just turn off. Learn how to support them, Don't just hear but listen. Anxiety IS REAL. Depression IS REAL. Addiction IS NOT A CHOICE. Please don't be afraid to ask for help. After 12 years in my practice, seeing hundreds if not thousands of clients, I have made a conscious choice to not only help people as my profession, but anyone who I have ever come in contact with.
    #dontbeafraidtoask
    #alwaysheretohelp
    #alwaysheretolisten
    #recoveryispossible
    https://youtu.be/gRGRduyCy_M

gasparic104 and Markcal like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top