1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any & All LED/HID Questions!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Xenon Depot, May 1, 2020.

1. Sep 1, 2020 at 6:10 PM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    You're going to find that any reputable manufacturer or marketer of drop in LED bulbs has pulled them off the market due to pressure from federal regulatory authorities. The junk that's left on the market isn't even worth talking about.

El Duderino likes this.
  2. Sep 1, 2020 at 10:32 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Note that all reputable manufactures removed their replacement LEDs from headlight listings after regulators starting cracking down as they are not legal. Unfortunately there is a bit of a legal loop hole for fogs, as H10 like @GRNT4R is inquiring, but most know better that it is a poor idea and produces excessive glare and non-uniform pattern performance and is an overall downgrade. The correct way to run LED fogs is with a replacement SAE LED assembly, designed from the ground up to properly run LEDs. Almost all the SAE fogs are covered in the thread below. The best performing by far are the Diode Dynamics SS3s linked at the top:
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/the-led-sae-j583-fog-pod-fog-light-review.554813/

GRNT4R[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Sep 2, 2020 at 4:19 AM
    GRNT4R

GRNT4R Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC - Triad
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport DCLB 4WD Silver
    TBD
    @crashnburn80

I actually looked at and read through that thread before picking up my taco. The Diode's do have the best output but the design to me is not appealing to the appearance of the truck. Id prefer a more OEM looking/style light housing.

I see there are OEM LED fog lights based off the video in your thread and they appear to look pretty good in 5000k. Do you know if they make them for a 2010 2nd gen that i can swap out with my stock fogs?

Whichever has the better output between OEM LED and Morimoto, i would be open to as they are basically the same price as cheaper bulbs or kits. I am not able to find any OEM Toyota LED fogs for a 2010. Did they every make them to fit the 2010 or does anyone know of a seller. I have tried eBay but i am only seeing later models in OEM

The Morimoto LED's look okay in the 5000k temp but they appear to be a lower light that the OEM model.

Im actually leaning towards ordering the reverse bulbs you suggested but i was wondering to they or anyone make that bulb with a whiter light to it and have you had any issues after running them all this time?

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Sep 2, 2020 at 4:12 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Options are pretty limited for the 05-11 trucks, especially if you want to keep it stock-ish looking. For that your only option is really the Morimotos. The later OEM LED fogs will not fit the pre-12 trucks, nor will KC's G4. Toyota did not offer LED fogs on the 2nd Gens.

The HIR reverse bulbs have been in my truck for years without issue. There is no whiter version though, if you really want whiter light you'd have to go LED.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Sep 2, 2020 at 4:32 PM
    GRNT4R

GRNT4R Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC - Triad
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    thanks. Maybe I can run across a set of MM on here someone is selling. Looks like I just missed a set last week before I picked up my truck. Several years sounds like the HIR will be the way to go. Think I saw them in bulbsunlimited for around 7$ each.

6. Sep 10, 2020 at 9:02 AM
    GRNT4R

GRNT4R Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC - Triad
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    Crash, do you have a current link for a place to get the 921 bulbs at stateside with decent shipping times? Thanks and would you suggest i order 3 to be safe or get 2 sets

7. Sep 10, 2020 at 9:21 AM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Thread here. Bulbs here. Either way with 3 bulbs or 2 sets, it would be a safe way to go. It isn't uncommon to break one the first time, so you just want to have at least one spare on hand. I've done it several times since on other vehicles and never broke a bulb after the first one, there is just a short learning curve.

8. Sep 10, 2020 at 9:25 AM
    GRNT4R

GRNT4R Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC - Triad
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    Thank you. I appreciate it

crashnburn80 likes this.
  9. Sep 10, 2020 at 9:46 AM
    GRNT4R

GRNT4R Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC - Triad
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    Just ordered 3. Now the wait until the 22nd for them to arrive. Cant wait to see the results of these.

crashnburn80 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top