1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any basic advice on buying a Taco

Discussion in 'New Members' started by mode3sour, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Jan 18, 2010 at 5:59 PM
    mode3sour

mode3sour [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Saguenay, QC
    Hello Tacoma World

After spending the past few days looking through your picture threads, my new priority in life is to join the club!

My dream taco would be a TRD Off road/sport extended cab, M/T, Gray/Silver/Blue w 3” lift and all-terrain tires

Does anyone have basic advice on finding my truck? (sorry my research is based on pictures so far) Is there a best time of the year to buy from Toyota? Do they offer 0%? I heard they don’t budge on price much? I have cash and willing to buy used as well especially if I found one with the right mods

Is there a 3rd gen coming out 2011? What year would you look for? (price vs upgrades) Any other Tacoma-specific things to know about? (common issues w certain yrs?) How much cheaper are they in the States vs Canada? (I might be posted to AK or OK)

I’m sick of towing my toys with my poor Honda

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jan 18, 2010 at 6:13 PM
    Drakken

Drakken Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    Silver Streak Mica 2006 AC 4X4
    Welcome to TW.

End of the year model closeouts are always good if looking to buy new. Also demo models for ones with low mileage. Going used kinda depends on location so don't know if I can offer much advice in that regards except make sure to check it out thoroughly before you buy. Good luck.

3. Jan 18, 2010 at 6:26 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    in 2012 there supposedly coming out with the 3rd gen:spy:,

(I have no idea if this is true but with the gas prices rising, recent going green trend and the new 4 runner this is what i think it will have)
    IMO i think it will have the new revised v6 with the 270 hp, a more bloated body, less room in the wheel wells:(, no long beds:(, and no more offroad models:(.

also i have heard that it is more expensive and there are less options when you buy tacomas in canada.

Good luck finding you truck:)

4. Jan 20, 2010 at 4:26 PM
    mode3sour

mode3sour [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Saguenay, QC
    Yea a closeout model would be sweet although I'm picky on option

The used ones seem to hold their value here. I was wondering if there have been major upgrades from previous Tacomas this gen, or are they all the same

5. Jan 20, 2010 at 4:30 PM
    paulm09tacoma

paulm09tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 access cab trd
    my personal experience is go new. they hold value so strong that the price between new and 20k miles is like 2 grand. plus you get more on rebates and financing when you go new. so you got my take on the deal. good luck.

6. Jan 20, 2010 at 4:33 PM
    ashjwilliams

ashjwilliams Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm not sure why you'd want a manual trans if you are towing. Also you may want to shop for a model with the towing package.

7. Jan 20, 2010 at 4:36 PM
    mode3sour

mode3sour [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Saguenay, QC

I'm actually glad if it's not coming in 2011! I'm disappointed with a lot of new vehicle trends I dunno if it's just me.

Does anyone know what kind of options are only available in the States? I might have to wait until I'm posted

8. Jan 20, 2010 at 4:46 PM
    mode3sour

mode3sour [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Saguenay, QC
    Thanks this is what I figured. I'm used to cars that drop 50% in a year

Maybe I should think again. I've always owned a manual car although it's annoying to back up a trailer

It would prevent the gf from driving my truck, which could be a negative at times

9. Jan 20, 2010 at 5:12 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    I would get the AT if you plan to tow. Always wait till near end of the month. When negotiating a deal, try and go through the dealers internet office first. Usuall,y you can haggle a better price through them. Bounce offers off dueling dealerships through the Internet office. When you get a deal you like them go meet them face to face. Any extra stuff you want, haggle that into the price.

Stick to your guns. And get what you want for the price you want. They will bend to you.

Best of luck!

Products Discussed in

To Top