1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any Canadian border issues?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by mk5, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Dec 4, 2019 at 1:32 PM
    mk5

mk5 [OP] Probably wrong about this

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '05 access cab 4x4
    Hi everyone, I'm sitting here on a gloomy winter afternoon daydreaming about next summer's adventures. One region I'd really like to visit is the Canadian Rockies!

But... Have any of you had problems driving your overland/camper/mall-crawler/whatever-looking trucks into Canada from the US recently?

I'm concerned about trying to cross the border with a highly modified truck loaded to the gills with camping gear. Yes, I am capable of researching and following the laws, and can ensure there won't be any contraband in my vehicle. [This is in fact how I drive at all times!] But nothing screams "gun-toting drug-addicted American in midlife crisis" like a socially awkward balding white man driving a worn-out pickup truck that's decked out for the apocalypse... and let's be honest, that is what the border agents will see when I pull up.

Will they tear my truck apart and strip-search me looking for drug residue and assault bullets?

I'm okay with reasonable searches and questioning, but if it's likely that they'll eviscerate my truck with a box cutter and crowbar, I'd rather rent a jeep for that leg of the trip, or skip it entirely.

Tacotj likes this.
  2. Dec 4, 2019 at 2:38 PM
    turbodb

turbodb AdventureTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Xcab 4x4 SR5 V6 TRD
    AdventureTaco
    You'll be fine if you follow the rules. Have your passport (of course). They've always asked me about guns, alcohol, and fruits/veggies. Then, they've always asked a second time about guns and weapons. They've always asked where I'm headed and for how long. And then they've always just sent me on my way.

Only coming back to the US have I ever had the truck searched. Once they were "nice" about it, and the other time I had to spend 15 minutes putting all my clothes, etc back into my bag in the cab.

Trips where we went through...

Oregon-to-Canada on the WABDR (Jun 2018)

Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route (Jul 2019)

Whipsaw Trail 1 - Finally Four, We Venture North

[​IMG]

Taco*Sauce06 and DavesTaco68 like this.
  3. Dec 4, 2019 at 2:45 PM
    YOTA 4X4

YOTA 4X4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road
    OME HD Lift all around, SCS SR8 Rims, 255 85 R16 Cooper ST Maxx, Decked Drawers, 30" Rigid Pro Light bar above bumper on Rago Mounts, Rigid Dually Side Shooters on Rago ditch brackets, Hondo Garage Un-Holey Phone Mount X2, Hondo Radio Knobs AR Bolt Face, Garmin InReach SE GPS synch'ed to Iphone for GPS only mapping, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Husky Liner Contour floor mats, 63 QT ARB Fridge on Alu-Cab tilting slide. GoFastCamper (#41), ARB 2500 Awning with Full Room, Mobtown Off-road Sliders and Full Aluminum Skids.
    I lived up near Watertown (NY), very close to the Canadian Boarder crossed it many times with loaded up trucks (packed for multi week moose hunting or fishing trips). Brought guns, ammo, generators, ext ext over more times than I can count. Heck when 22lr was super scarce here I brought back over 10,000rds. No one blinked. I did always follow the law, crossing with guns is more of a money grab than anything but still simple. Honestly crossing with fresh food is more difficult than with guns or alcohol. Read up on the current and particular laws and follow them, be honest and friendly.

Oh, I do imagine the the more “remote” boarder crossings are a bit more laid back than some of the big cities. You’ll be fine, if you don’t break any laws how could you get into trouble right?

4. Dec 4, 2019 at 3:04 PM
    velogeek

velogeek Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2024 4Runner
    Just be careful with food and knives and don't bring a gun you don't plan to hunt with and you're pretty much good to go. They'll ask what is in any large containers like coolers or a Pelican (I have a 1650 for all my camping gear and they've asked every time) but otherwise, the only issue I've had was admitting carrying a pocket knife (Benchmade mini grip) when specifically asked and they confiscated it. Probably a slight overreach but the Axis lock doesn't require touching the blade to flick it open which is a very literal interpretation of the law. I'm just not one to piss off LE in another country and give them any reason to pull me aside for search over an $80 knife.

All that matters is you don't declare it is for protection or they will take it. Pretty much why I'll be carrying a Leatherman instead going forward.

5. Dec 4, 2019 at 3:52 PM
    mk5

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '05 access cab 4x4
    Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I'll probably be okay.

My family drove into Canada when I was a kid, on a road trip near Glacier Park. I don't know why, but they pulled us aside, interrogated us individually, ransacked our luggage, and tore our car apart. That car rattled and whistled and leaked rainwater for the rest of its miserable existence, and a bunch of my clothes got run over by a truck in the next bay. But perhaps the worst part was the interrogation--some of those questions still haunt me today...

"Is that woman really your mom?"

"HOW ARE YOU SO SURE???"
    I have no idea why we we got the royal treatment that day, but I've flown to Canada many times since without issue.

And I'm still pretty sure that my mom is really my mom. Like 98%.

whatstcp likes this.
  6. Dec 4, 2019 at 3:59 PM
    GasPowered

GasPowered Well-Known Member

Member:
    OK
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD OR 4x4 SSM
    I've heard that Bear Spray is a "no no" as well.... I that still the case?

Cheers

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  7. Dec 4, 2019 at 4:00 PM
    YOTA 4X4

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road
    OME HD Lift all around, SCS SR8 Rims, 255 85 R16 Cooper ST Maxx, Decked Drawers, 30" Rigid Pro Light bar above bumper on Rago Mounts, Rigid Dually Side Shooters on Rago ditch brackets, Hondo Garage Un-Holey Phone Mount X2, Hondo Radio Knobs AR Bolt Face, Garmin InReach SE GPS synch'ed to Iphone for GPS only mapping, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Husky Liner Contour floor mats, 63 QT ARB Fridge on Alu-Cab tilting slide. GoFastCamper (#41), ARB 2500 Awning with Full Room, Mobtown Off-road Sliders and Full Aluminum Skids.
    No bear spray or pepper spray

GasPowered[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Dec 4, 2019 at 4:04 PM
    mk5

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '05 access cab 4x4
    Thanks for the info, I really enjoy reading your trip reports.

Ironically, on that ill-fated childhood roadtrip to Canada, after spending several hours detained at the border, we lost interest in seeing the provincial park or anything else in Canada. We stopped at a gas station, ate some snacks mostly in silence, then just turned back towards the U.S. When we got to the border station, the guy just smiled and waved us through, without checking our IDs or freshly-faxed birth certificates or anything else. He just said "welcome back, folks!"

So I guess things have changed since 9/11.

turbodb[QUOTED] and BalutTaco like this.
  9. Dec 4, 2019 at 4:07 PM
    BalutTaco

BalutTaco Moja_Przygoda

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Limo Trail Edition -> 2022 Magnetic Grey OR
    Bird nest engine bay.
    butter knife it is! :rofl:

10. Dec 4, 2019 at 4:09 PM
    Findus11

Findus11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Durango
    Vehicle:
    07 Taco
    Take a ferry. It's more relaxed and you get to chill on the boat while you enjoy the sweet views. Also a good time to make lunch.

11. Dec 4, 2019 at 4:09 PM
    YOTA 4X4

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road
    that’s weird... or something they did a long time ago. Agents talking to you going into Canada are Canadian. The ones letting you back in are American... NEVER the same guards, wouldn’t even make sense

12. Dec 4, 2019 at 4:25 PM
    pnw.river.junkie

pnw.river.junkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW

Wrong, you can most definitely bring bear spray into Canada. They'd prefer you do instead of having to export your remains back to the states. I've declared it at the border many times with no problems.

You'll be fine OP, they don't care what your rig looks like. I've been searched both ways, but it's really rare. I think I've had my truck searched once each direction, and I've crossed the border hundreds of times. Just follow the rules and answer their questions truthfully.

Gunshot-6A likes this.
  13. Dec 4, 2019 at 4:42 PM
    Rexfordian13

Rexfordian13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Albany/NY Capital District
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DCSB MT
    I was stopped at a crossing leaving Glacier and going into Alberta. I had picked up my college girlfriend from her summer internship and we were going up to Canmore Alberta to Hike, Mt. Bike, climb, etc. We had been WW kayaking earlier in the trip, so my extended cab ‘93 was full of very well organized gear.
    We yes sir’d and no sir’d, had passports ready, and did everything possible to show respect for the international border and the border patrols duties. I immediately declared my bear spray, saying I wasn’t sure if it was allowed and I was willing to give it up, showed them my leatherman, and was then asked to pull to the right.
    They proceed to empty every crevice of my truck (onto a tarp I provided) and interrogated us separately, asking about drugs and criminal activities. As two college age, rule following, outdoor enthusiast kids, we were a little shaken to say the least. They then brought us out to the mountain of our possessions next to the truck and told us to enjoy our stay. They took the bear spray (as I expected) but also never returned my leatherman...with no explanation.
    We chalked it up to us looking a little hippyish and the border patrol doing their job well, but our unplanned stop put us 1/2 day or more behind schedule on an already tight trip.
    My advice?
    Be polite, prepared and respectful. You should experience no problems other than a possible delay. Enjoy your trip, and have a Coffee Crisp for me!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    BalutTaco likes this.
  14. Dec 4, 2019 at 4:43 PM
    YOTA 4X4

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road
    I stand corrected... I’ve been asked in MANY occasions about “pepper spray” but I have have never carried bear spray over there. Carried a 375 H&H on quite a few occasions though.

15. Dec 4, 2019 at 4:46 PM
    0xDEADBEEF

0xDEADBEEF Trash Aficionado

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 reg cab 4x4 flatbed MT
    They told me the key is that is marked specifically for bears. Pepper spray, for use on humans, seems to be a no-go.

16. Dec 4, 2019 at 4:58 PM
    pnw.river.junkie

pnw.river.junkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    That's correct, the personal defense types of pepper spray are illegal in Canada in general, so that's why you can't cross the border with it. Bear spray is all good though.

YOTA 4X4 likes this.
  17. Dec 4, 2019 at 5:02 PM
    theesotericone

theesotericone Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bishop CA
    I've only ever had problems with the US side of the border. Been to Canada 5 times and Mexico 7 times. Not once did the Canucks or Mexicans ask for a search. 6 of 12 times the US Border Patrol searched my rig when coming back into the US. lol

18. Dec 4, 2019 at 5:35 PM
    mk5

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '05 access cab 4x4
    To clarify, yes, it was the US border agent that waved us through on our return.

19. Dec 8, 2019 at 10:47 AM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    Going into Canada is super simple and easy, even with guns, bear spray, ammo, etc. I’ve never had my vehicle searched at any of several border crossings over the years. Just have your paperwork ready, answer the questions and be on your way in a few minutes. Even when crossing with firearms it’s a quick trip inside to sign some paperwork and pay them $25, I’ve never had them even check the truck to see if the firearms were in it.

20. Dec 11, 2019 at 12:05 PM
    POSTacoMike

POSTacoMike On the rocks, please

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Red Deer AB
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma DC XPreRunner
    OME Suspension, ARB Bumper, frame swap, Rebco logger box.
    I'm out of Alberta, and have used that glacier crossing before. Coming thru, in a dodge quad cab, with wife, and two kids, I was pulled aside, and had everything removed form the truck, and was swiped, was questioned, and was giving a grilling like I've never had before, and I've crossed many times. And that was coming back into Canada, after spending a weekend skiing. I've avoided that crossing since. The only issue I had crossing into the US was when I referred to Oregon as Oregone, and the US BP agent asked me where it went. And then laughed at my blank, stunned look lol!! @mk5 let me know when you come up, I can do some showing off of the good spots if it works for time.

turbodb likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top