1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any Civil War Buffs on TW?

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by Tactical_Panda, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Mar 31, 2017 at 7:27 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Tactical_Panda [OP] Armchair Anarchist

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Double Cab, Off-Road Edition
    AJT Designs Shifter AJT Designs Battery Hold-Down ARB Awning 2500x2500 ARB Twin Compressor w/ Slee Offroad Mounting Bracket Avid Brush Bar Avid Step Bars Black Rock Wheels Series 997 Type 8 Circuit Breaker/Relay Panel Custom TRD Decals Bulletproof Fabricating Raptor Grill Bulletproof Fabricating Cooling Panel Bulletproof Fabricating Tow Hook Duluth Trading Company Dog Hammock Exhaust Breather Mod eBay Special 3-Gallon Air Tank Expedition Essentials TPAM EZ Down tailgate damper Flagpole Mounts, Dual Foglight Mod Front Camera Rear Camera; full time available General Grabber tires Goat Armor Hella Supertone Horns Iggy Switch Panel Icon Dynamics Stage 3 Suspension Katskin Leather Interior KickAss camp shower LED Bed Lights LED Interior Lights Midland MXT275 GMRS Two-Way Radio OEM Audio Plus Reference 500 audio upgrade Plano Cases. 42" roof mounted, X2 Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle Prinsu Cab Rack Prinsu-like Shell Rack Redline Tuning Hood Struts Rigid Industries 40" Light Bar Rigid Industries Ditch Lights Rigid Industries Spotlights Toyota Bed Step UltraGauge EM Plus v1.4 Vixen Air Horns, Four-Trumpet Whole bunch of decals worth about 5HP each Yakima Road Shower, 10-gal
    Since 1989, I've been living in Fredericksburg, VA; a Civil War mecca if there ever was one. But I'm a Yankee by birth and had a Great x3 Grandfather who fought in the 158th Pennsylvania Infantry. I am the proud owner of his original discharge document.

Discharge.jpg

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    irayfz6, cafereef, Ensemble88 and 8 others like this.
  2. Apr 1, 2017 at 8:54 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    I live in King William. I told my wife before we retire that I want to visit all the battlegrounds and monuments etc that is around here. There is some neat revolutionary sites too. People pay for vacations around here to visit these things and here we have them in our back yard.

3. Apr 1, 2017 at 8:59 AM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    @Fenwick1993 is the resident TW Civil War info super nerd. :)

4. Apr 1, 2017 at 7:44 PM
    Fenwick1993

Fenwick1993 Hillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Not Fenwick
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 5Lug, 2015 PreRunner
    Stonewall is the fattest 5 lug slug ever
    Now that's a cool thing to have! We don't have any of the paper documents from the countless ancestors that fought. We know for sure of 27 on my dad's side that fought in the war, all for the South. (Mostly from VA, NC, and KY.) Out of those 27, twelve were KIA or mortally wounded, four died of illness, and one died in a prison camp. Our information is woefully incomplete, but we know how hard it is to find surviving southern paperwork. Half the time, it didn't exist to begin with.
    So it's really awesome that you actually have that!

One thing I love about living here. I'm in Chesapeake.

You know it! :fistbump:

T4RFTMFW[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Apr 1, 2017 at 7:47 PM
    Fenwick1993

Fenwick1993 Hillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Not Fenwick
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    I do have one original picture of a family member. It's interesting, because he appears to be wearing a cavalryman's jacket, but he was with the 26th NC Infantry. Supposedly my Aunt has a bunch that my Grandpaw left to her.
    20170401_224445.jpg

Joe D, SC2SC and Tactical_Panda[OP] like this.
  6. Apr 2, 2017 at 2:38 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    AJT Designs Shifter AJT Designs Battery Hold-Down ARB Awning 2500x2500 ARB Twin Compressor w/ Slee Offroad Mounting Bracket Avid Brush Bar Avid Step Bars Black Rock Wheels Series 997 Type 8 Circuit Breaker/Relay Panel Custom TRD Decals Bulletproof Fabricating Raptor Grill Bulletproof Fabricating Cooling Panel Bulletproof Fabricating Tow Hook Duluth Trading Company Dog Hammock Exhaust Breather Mod eBay Special 3-Gallon Air Tank Expedition Essentials TPAM EZ Down tailgate damper Flagpole Mounts, Dual Foglight Mod Front Camera Rear Camera; full time available General Grabber tires Goat Armor Hella Supertone Horns Iggy Switch Panel Icon Dynamics Stage 3 Suspension Katskin Leather Interior KickAss camp shower LED Bed Lights LED Interior Lights Midland MXT275 GMRS Two-Way Radio OEM Audio Plus Reference 500 audio upgrade Plano Cases. 42" roof mounted, X2 Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle Prinsu Cab Rack Prinsu-like Shell Rack Redline Tuning Hood Struts Rigid Industries 40" Light Bar Rigid Industries Ditch Lights Rigid Industries Spotlights Toyota Bed Step UltraGauge EM Plus v1.4 Vixen Air Horns, Four-Trumpet Whole bunch of decals worth about 5HP each Yakima Road Shower, 10-gal
    I had a now-deceased great-great aunt who was his last surviving grandchild and she had the discharge document. One day I was visiting her (this was back in the 1990s) and she said "I'm old and won't be around much longer. You should have this because I know you'll appreciate it and take care of it." And she took it off the wall and handed it to me. Just like that.

I had another ancestor on my mother's side who was killed at Spotsylvania. I was able to locate the area where his unit fought and where he probably fell.

Fenwick1993[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Apr 2, 2017 at 4:57 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    I have recently found some info regarding Revolutionary, 1812 and Civil war records for family via Ancestry.com. Hand written records that have been scanned/archived in various states. For me, particularly Kentucky and Virginia. Widows pensions, census records, things like that.

I have followed my mothers paternal line and found a 10th great grandfather was a Sgt. in the Commander in Chief's Guard, a unit assigned to George Washington, sort of a precursor to the Secret Service.

There is a book by the same name written in 1904 about that unit, and it lists all the troops, their origins, service time, etc, and contains facsimiles of their signatures. The book is an interesting read for anyone who likes history, mostly because you learn some bits about Washington that are not normal school house material.

A few other significant names popped up along the way too. While none of those things really change who I am, they are fun to know about.

8. Apr 2, 2017 at 2:34 PM
    coffeesnob

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    you had a tornado last night?

9. Apr 5, 2017 at 6:30 AM
    Fenwick1993

Fenwick1993 Hillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Not Fenwick
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    What unit was he with?

I'd like to get my hands on that!

Friday night was wild here, couple tornadoes and loads of hail.

10. Apr 5, 2017 at 6:51 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    I want to say like the 116th PA Infantry, but I'm not sure. It was a unit from northeast Pennsylvania I'd have to ask my mom; she has all the genealogy info for her side.

The one in the discharge above was in the 158th Pennsylvania. That was a regiment of older soldiers who primarily had non-combat roles like transportation, etc. He spent most of his time pulling guard duty during the occupation of New Bern, NC. They got back to Pennsylvania right after Gettysburg and helped to chase Lee's army back south across the Potomac, so he did see a little action.

11. Apr 5, 2017 at 7:06 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Library is where I found the one I read. I copied a few pages where G10 was mentioned.

12. Apr 5, 2017 at 5:13 PM
    Fenwick1993

Fenwick1993 Hillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Not Fenwick
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    Funny, I had a ton of family in the 26th NC, and they were some of the fellows that retreated from New Bern. The skirmishing that took place leading to their abandonment of New Bern/Fort Macon was their first engagement with the federals.

13. Apr 5, 2017 at 5:15 PM
    ramonortiz55

ramonortiz55 Not A Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Offroad 4x4
    stock
    Oh my.. Yes please

Fenwick1993 likes this.
  14. Feb 27, 2018 at 10:26 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    The wife had a Hen Party at our house last Saturday and told me and my dog to get lost. Fine with me; too much estrogen for my taste anyhow.

It just so happened that the Taco was due for a State Inspection so the pooch and I drove down to Williamsburg, VA (Casey Toyota) where I bought it from. After that we drove out to the Cold Harbor battlefield and then to nearby Gaines Mill.

Cold Harbor:

Confederate trenches.

CH1.jpg

Union trenches, 200 yards east of the Confederate trenches.

CH5.jpg

Looking west toward the Confederate trenches. On June 3, 1864 men were falling here at the rate of about one man every seven seconds.

CH2.jpg

CH3.jpg

CH4.jpg

Gaines Mill

GM1.jpg

GM2.jpg

GM3.jpg

GM4.jpg

GM5.jpg

GM6.jpg

chiefcrunchy and Fenwick1993 like this.
  15. Feb 27, 2018 at 10:30 AM
    ramonortiz55

ramonortiz55 Not A Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Offroad 4x4
    stock
    Nice!

16. Feb 27, 2018 at 10:42 AM
    coffeesnob

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    we ride our bikes down the va capitol trail. Lot's of history.

17. Mar 20, 2018 at 7:14 PM
    chiefcrunchy

chiefcrunchy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Between North and South Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '15 DC MGM TRD Sport 4x4 6spd 4.0
    5100s, 885s, deaver AAL, Waiting impatiently to install Demello front bumper, Mobtown sliders & skids, and safari snorkel.
    I love the Fredericksburg sites, this spring I'm going to do some searches around my house, i livr along Bull Run creek about 3 miles from the battlefield. The previous owner found a cannon ball in the garden. So i hope to find some relics.

18. Mar 20, 2018 at 7:19 PM
    chiefcrunchy

chiefcrunchy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Between North and South Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '15 DC MGM TRD Sport 4x4 6spd 4.0
    5100s, 885s, deaver AAL, Waiting impatiently to install Demello front bumper, Mobtown sliders & skids, and safari snorkel.
    My mother has the hat pin/crest of great x2 uncle who was in a New York Cavalry unit.

19. May 9, 2018 at 4:38 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    On this day in history, May 9, 1864, Major General John Sedgwick became the highest ranking Union officer to be killed in the Civil War. It was during the Battle of Spotsylvania in Virginia; he was walking up and down the lines admonishing his men for cowering behind trees and in trenches for fear of the random Confederate bullets that were being fired their way. Sedgwick's last words were purported to be "Why are you dodging like this? They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist-" and he was shot dead by a Confederate sniper.

13092186_1230517446958722_9012328122760326733_n.jpg

20. Aug 21, 2018 at 7:11 PM
    TacoHank1998

TacoHank1998 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Panama City, FL
    Vehicle:
    1998 Green Tacoma Base
    Not many people think of Florida in the Civil War... but we did stuff too...

Pics from my local park.

20180708_181526.jpg
    20180708_181531.jpg
    20180708_181540.jpg

Also... the town of Lynn Haven was established by retiring union soldiers. It's has the only statue honoring union soldiers south of the mason Dixon line.

22963106.jpg
    45d22761-302c-4dfe-a7e6-403712c35add_d.jpg

http://www.cityoflynnhaven.com/photo/history-lynn-haven

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018

Products Discussed in

To Top