1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any Engineers?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by jeckel7234, May 28, 2011.

1. May 28, 2011 at 6:28 PM
    jeckel7234

jeckel7234 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    Add-a-Leaf, Leveling Kit, 31.5 Nitto Grapplers, Mag-Lite Mod, Anit-Key in the ignition beep mod, Tail gate theft mod, Trifecta tonneau cover, washable cabin air filter,
    So Im in my first semester of college after leaving the AF as an Aircraft mechanic and I'm pretty stuck on engineering i enjoy mechanics and creating, but im not sure which field im breaking it down to either mechanical, auto, or aerospace. As of right now im just pursuing a mechanical design degree plan at a community college then tranfer to a four year, does anybody have any advice as to which field you would recomend or just what a day to day life of an engineer is? Thanks alot

2. May 28, 2011 at 6:36 PM
    IrishAmerican

IrishAmerican Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SR5 4x4
    Lift, XD wheels, Tinted, K&N, 285 Cooper STTs
    Im a petroleum engineer. I work for a very large oilfield service company. There is alot of opportunity in this field. I have traveled all over the country and to different parts of the world for work. I enjoy it most of the time but I am married with two kids so the work load can be a little much at times. The money is excellent and the opportunities are very vast. Good luck with your education.

3. May 28, 2011 at 6:39 PM
    rcbs204

rcbs204 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    EE here!

4. May 28, 2011 at 6:40 PM
    jeckel7234

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    Add-a-Leaf, Leveling Kit, 31.5 Nitto Grapplers, Mag-Lite Mod, Anit-Key in the ignition beep mod, Tail gate theft mod, Trifecta tonneau cover, washable cabin air filter,
    Thanks alot, I considered Petroleum because of the pay, but i wasnt convinced it was my kind of thing, what kind of work do you do?

5. May 28, 2011 at 6:40 PM
    jeckel7234

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    How do you like EE

6. May 28, 2011 at 6:45 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    Civil Engineering ... never used it directly ... but did use some of the general engineering principles later.

7. May 28, 2011 at 6:45 PM
    rcbs204

rcbs204 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    I love it, best job to date. I work at a Laser company called Photon Machines. Engineering is all encompassing. Day to day activities can vary greatly. If you got the math skills, i highly recommend. The coolest part is you are alway abreast of all the cutting edge micro controllers and gizmos. At least i am. There is always a high high demand for EE's. There is no place you cannot work.

8. May 28, 2011 at 6:46 PM
    IrishAmerican

IrishAmerican Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SR5 4x4
    Lift, XD wheels, Tinted, K&N, 285 Cooper STTs
    I operate logging tools for welbore formation evaluation while drilling. Pretty cool stuff IMO. We use these tools that look similar to a joint of drill pipe but are packed full of sensors and electronics to steer the drillbit to the target at the same time this tool is also logging data from downhole and sending realtime data to our computers so we can inform the customer of the formation that we are drilling in. It is refered to as MWD (measurement while drilling) or LWD (logging while drilling). Its a very laid back job and I stay clean and cool in my office. Then I get to hit some awesome trails and such with the Tacoma afterwards lol.

9. May 28, 2011 at 7:01 PM
    jeckel7234

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    lmao very nice, i think ill look into it a lil bit more

yea i was pretty good at math when i wasnt fucking off in high school, but it has been about 5 years since, im not taking any math classes this semester, i have to go take a placement test, the only "engineering" class im taking is on Materials

10. May 29, 2011 at 10:19 PM
    apotter

apotter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma
    Mechanical Engineer, but I'm working more in a civil enviroment building stormwater/wastewater equipment. Straight Engineering isn't bad if you don't mind the bean counters constantly standing over your shoulder letting you know that that you need to cut costs. Finding solutions is great..dealing with accounting and other engineers with huge egos, not that great.

11. Jun 3, 2011 at 3:52 PM
    Thucker

Thucker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2010 Mag. Gray BC LB Sport 4x4
    I'm a mechanical engineer/project manager. I'm more on the construction side. I design/manage mechanical construction of new and remodel of big comercial buildings. I'm the conflict resolution guy, I usually look over the design drawings and 3D models to make sure everything will fit within the building and all the systems will work the way they're drawn.

I use to work in an off-road fabrication shop as a design engineer, that was fun, but left it for my current job because I wanted to work more on the management side, and they pay at a big company is better and much better benefits compared to a fabrication shop.

Before the off-road shop, I worked at a performance shop. I built motors, fabricate custom parts, and tune built motors. I left that job for higher pay and benefits. Performance shop had no benefits other than you get to have fun building cars and get to test your finished product.

As you can see, I've jumped from different industries that are not related. Just shows that you can do a lot with a mechanical engineering degree and work in all sorts of industry. If you're mechanically inclined, mechanical is the way to go.

12. Jun 3, 2011 at 4:06 PM
    webb323

webb323 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    97 4x4 Regular Cab (sold), 2014 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Im studying Nuclear Engineering at the University of Tennessee. It's pretty sweet because its a five year masters program ranked 9th in the country and 100 percent job placement rate.

13. Jun 6, 2011 at 5:02 AM
    o5iiawah

o5iiawah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Philly 'burbs, PA
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x2 access cab 2.7l
    CDMA/LTE

14. Jun 6, 2011 at 5:08 AM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    i went to school for EE but am currently a service engineer fixing MRIs worldwide. (currently in Vietnam) i love the hands on...

One suggestion i can make is to add some management to your curriculum. that is where the big bucks are when you get older and want to slow down. I know Field service engineers in there 60s that want out but got stuck. Management in the portfolio can prevent that

15. Jun 6, 2011 at 5:40 AM
    gorilla33

gorilla33 Stock Radiant Red

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    05 trd sport

This guy has it figured out! Studying at a fantastic university! Go Vols!

btw, Civil Engineer here, 2008. Working at Watts Bar Nuclear Plant.

16. Jun 7, 2011 at 2:24 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    civil here. i built this and i am building this..i administer the project.

i have a great job!

ba-slide07_ph_0498569477.jpg
    cellphone pics 045.jpg

17. Jun 13, 2011 at 10:22 AM
    battlegeek

battlegeek Silly-villian

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    San Angelo, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Black Sand Pearl TRD OR DC SB
    Debadged, AVIC-Z2 HU, Volant intake
    So, does Computer Engineering count? LOL

18. Jun 13, 2011 at 10:33 AM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    I got one year left of ME. It's a tough major. For me at least. Everyone I know in my major has failed at least 3 or 4 classes. But it will pay off. If you go full time make sure you know how to say no to friends that want to hang out. Lol

19. Jun 13, 2011 at 10:43 AM
    finecamaro69

finecamaro69 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD sport 4WD
    2" spacer Suspension lift, Dakar Leafs
    Just got my PE in civil a few weeks ago. Working in Rock Hill, SC with a Transportation and General Civil firm called Campco Engineering.

20. Jun 13, 2011 at 5:50 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    well done!

To Top