1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any good/bad experiences with the A.R.E. tonneau's?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by AZDesertTRD, May 14, 2012.

1. May 14, 2012 at 7:29 PM
    AZDesertTRD

AZDesertTRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pamela
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Sport
    I am looking into getting a A.R.E. Tonneau for my 2012 Sport Prerunner. I liked the looks of them since before I actually got my truck. They add to the already beefy look of the Tacoma. I also like that they seem really strong and secure. I also like that they are colr matched.

I am interested in the LS II or the LSX Ultra. The LSX add's the keyless entry, carpeted shrould over the locking mechanism and a light which seems like nice add ons. I particularly like the keyless entry. Not sure it's all worth the extra money though.

Now I know these kind of tops are a hassle if you need to haul something larger. I'm thinking it would make the bed a litle more useful on a daily basis, much, much more storage space. This is especially helpful if you have the cab loaded with people since storage goes out the window then.

I believe the rails are still usable and the top is slightly raised to allow for extra height in storing things. I was hoping to add an OEM bed divider near the tailgate to keep things from sliding all over especially smaller things like groceries, a cooler or whatever.

I'm looking for some opinions/experiences especially from owners of A.R.E. tonneaus.

Thanks ahead of time!

2. May 14, 2012 at 7:37 PM
    lj973gm

lj973gm Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    I had one on my previous truck.

Really takes away from the use of the truck since it is pretty dam heavy if you have to take it off and the tacoma bed is too small already.

If you use your bed often I would pass. The security it offers is kinda weak in my eyes. Two bars go across and can be pried open if you want it.

The cost is high.

It is a well built and decent looking unit but was not worth it in my eyes after owning it.

Hope that helps.

Also when installed they typically silicone the mounting setup to the truck for leakage in my area. Tell them no if you plan to take on and off for large loads.

I would buy a undercover that is color matched if I wanted something that looks good and was solid but light enough to take off. For the cost of the ARE I would lean towards a jackrabbit or the other rolling cover brand since it gives bed space.

3. May 14, 2012 at 7:47 PM
    Schwinn

Schwinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Georgina, ON
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport with Trail Teams package
    Had one on my Ranger and I loved it. They custom each one to match the contours of the hood of the model it's for. I had one of the first Ranger Edges, and it was the only cover that matched the hood.

As for security, I liked the fact it prevented the gate from being opened when the cover was closed. I used to come out of my apartment at least once a week, and someone had tried to open the gate. (The cover allowed the gate to be unlatched, but not opened).

As for removal, I used to slide it on my back, carry it to the grass, stand it on its end, then carry it to where ever I was storing it. Wasn't super-light, but given the looks and features, in my mind, worth it.

Products Discussed in

To Top