1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any interest in shimms.........

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by chris4x4, Jun 25, 2008.

1. chris4x4

chris4x4 [OP] With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Thor

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, lots of buttons, and yellow flashing lights on the dash.
    for the '05+ Tacomas? Im thinking of machineing some shims, as I have read that some people have a Truck that does not sit level from side to side. They will be made from Aluminum, and fit on top of the spring pack. :)

2. bauermike

bauermike Western Alliance

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08' Prerunner, Radiant Red
    Billet Grill
    Do the Tacomas start to sag in the rear as they get older? I see it every once in a while on the road. I think it looks rediculous.

3. chris4x4

chris4x4 [OP] With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Thor

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, lots of buttons, and yellow flashing lights on the dash.
    Any vehicle's springs will sag over time. :)

4. bauermike

bauermike Western Alliance

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08' Prerunner, Radiant Red
    Billet Grill

I have seen some bad sagging though. few inches sometimes.

5. Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 4.0L 4x4 TRD Sport Access Cab A
    Advantage Torza top (tri-fold), Husky floor mats, RuffTuff seat covers, C2C hood struts, Homelink mirror, USA Spec PA15-Toy (120gig Classic & 8gig nano), Garmin Nuvi 660, Protecta Bed mat, Pop-n-lock, TSB Springs, Scangauge II, Heated drivers seat, Fumoto drain valve, Aries pushbar, PIAA 540 fog lights, Hood scoop grahics, Flowmaster 50 series dual catback exhaust, RainX Latitude windshield wipers, Husky rear floor liner (ontop of folded down seats). Console Vault.
    Shims? or lift blocks?

And...mount them ontop the spring pak?

I'm confused.....:rolleyes:

6. Banchi94

Banchi94 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Parker, CO
    Vehicle:
    2008 Indigo Blue TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    ToyTec 3" basic lift
    I don't want to speak for chris, but I think he does mean shims. You place these in the rear under the spring pack. At least, that's what the installers did in my truck. Helps keep vibes down, too, I think.

7. Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Advantage Torza top (tri-fold), Husky floor mats, RuffTuff seat covers, C2C hood struts, Homelink mirror, USA Spec PA15-Toy (120gig Classic & 8gig nano), Garmin Nuvi 660, Protecta Bed mat, Pop-n-lock, TSB Springs, Scangauge II, Heated drivers seat, Fumoto drain valve, Aries pushbar, PIAA 540 fog lights, Hood scoop grahics, Flowmaster 50 series dual catback exhaust, RainX Latitude windshield wipers, Husky rear floor liner (ontop of folded down seats). Console Vault.
    Shims & blocks are different.

Shims are sloped to point the pinion to a certain angle to relive driveline vibrations. - installed under the leaf springs.

Blocks wouldn't have a slope and would act like a suspension lift mounted 'underneath' the leafs.

8. Banchi94

Banchi94 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Parker, CO
    Vehicle:
    2008 Indigo Blue TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    ToyTec 3" basic lift
    My bad...sorry. Just showing my inexperience for you all to know. :anonymous:

9. Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    No no ...you were right the first time. Shims get installed to help with vibrations and go under the leaf pak.

Chris mentioned for 'leveling' purposes - and that made me think he was making mini lift blocks.

Although you could have a combination lift block with a non-90degree edge on it to act as a shim. I was just wondering what he meant....

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    San Francisco
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back twin exhaust,elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella550's, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    a lot of guys get a lil overzealous with the hauling and wind up collapsing the leafs:eek:-also you could be looking at a truck that was smakked in an accident and the BODY is what's tweeked....some crap body shops will put a pretty face on a wrecked vehicle but do nothing about releveling unless the driver piks up on it!

To Top