1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any OTC waxes/compounds recommended?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by jkshel24, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Nov 6, 2018 at 3:32 PM
    jkshel24

jkshel24 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma TSS
    Ok, you go to the auto dept store and there's walls of different labels and banners all promising to remove scratches and smudges....Anyone out there found one that is tried and true, and actually does what it claims?

Thanks!

Jd6400 likes this.
  2. Nov 6, 2018 at 4:16 PM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Most will do what they claim if used with a machine (dual action polisher). Working by hand, if you plan to actually correct paint, lower your expectations by... a lot.

So do you have a machine? That has a lot to do with what products i would recommend.

3. Nov 6, 2018 at 5:10 PM
    jkshel24

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma TSS
    no. I've seen the orbiter type ones. would that be enough i wonder? The high speed buffer types might be a little to much power for me.

4. Nov 6, 2018 at 5:23 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    Yep the DA's are best for people like us. Fool proof (almost). Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Polish are good otc products.

Nirvana likes this.
  5. Nov 6, 2018 at 5:26 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    General rule of thumb- if you can feel a scratch with your fingernail, it's too deep to remove. But with some compound and polish, you can improve them. For wash induced swirls and light scratches, you should be able to get rid of those with a DA polisher.

The Griots Garage 6" polisher fitted with a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads is a great starter pack. The Griots Boss pads are great.

BVita and cookiedough like this.
  6. Nov 6, 2018 at 5:26 PM
    jkshel24

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma TSS
    great! thanks for the information

7. Nov 9, 2018 at 11:46 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    Well I don’t buy my detailing products from an auto parts store. My first tip is that you don’t either.

I don’t buy anything MacQuires, Turtle Wax, Armor All, or any other of the super cheap brands. With the exception of Mothers Clay bars, I do like those.

Go with professional products from a reputable brand: Ammo, Chemical Guys, Adam’s Polishes, etc.

I have not experienced a professional level product that has caused harm or damage to my vehicles. I’ve only had some products work better than others. All do as advertized.

Is there something specific you are looking to do? We can make more specific recommendations.

8. Nov 9, 2018 at 11:50 AM
    Sig45

Sig45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 & 2021 Tundra SR5 DC 4x4
    AVS in-channel window visors Husky Mud Guards Husky Liners X-act Contour Floor Liners Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT- 265/75/16 C Toyota 16" Black TRD Trail Team Edition Wheels Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover OEM Bed mat OEM Running Boards Marathon custom fit seat covers Front window tint Rear Leaf Spring 4 Pack - TSB Front - 5100's with stock springs set at .85" Rear - 4600's
  9. Nov 9, 2018 at 10:33 PM
    Slick Taco

Slick Taco Id Rather Be Airborne

Member:
    Lost somewhere in the PNW
    Vehicle:
    Current vehicles: 2019 Rav4 Lunar Rock. 2018 TRD OR DCSB KD Max tuned. 2010 Tundra Limited Crew Max . 1991 4Runner Crawler. Ivan Stewart Edition
    KD Max Tune, King 2.5 coil overs T.C. UCA's, Deaver leafs, 17x9 Black Rhyno Warlords, 33" Toyo M/T's, Metal Tech rear bumper, Westin HDX drop steps with Bullet Liner coating, K&N CAI, Baja Designs fog pods, Rigid Midnight addition 3" pod ditch lights. Cali Raised brackets and 32" behind the grill mounted light bar, Southern Style Offroad Lopro Stage II front bumper, Warn winch, FACTOR 55 Ultra Hook, FACTOR 55 Hawes Fairleed, full debadge, Cosmetic goodies such as 15% carbon tint, matte black in channel rain guards, interior LED's, Teton Workshop shift knob, Inferno vinyl detailing on the interior, Cali Raised multi rocker switch cubby insert with Mc Tuning LED switches and a few other mods I've probably left out.
    Retired self employed independant auto, marine and aviation detailer for 30 years and I can tell you I have used Meguires for many applications and it rivals the so called "professional" compounds. My goto were 3M products but that's because I could buy compounds, waxes and sealants by the gallon from them. You specifically asked for over the counter and I would reccomend Meguires as they are "professional" grade. Mothers is also another quality OTC manufacturer of detailing products. Any of the other brands you see on the shelf should be dismissed as garbage.

10. Nov 9, 2018 at 11:08 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    Agreed. Meguiars puts out some top shelf products. They're kind of the Budweiser of detailing products. Just because they sell it in box box stores doesn't mean it's junk.

11. Nov 10, 2018 at 5:46 AM
    Sig45

Sig45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    AVS in-channel window visors Husky Mud Guards Husky Liners X-act Contour Floor Liners Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT- 265/75/16 C Toyota 16" Black TRD Trail Team Edition Wheels Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover OEM Bed mat OEM Running Boards Marathon custom fit seat covers Front window tint Rear Leaf Spring 4 Pack - TSB Front - 5100's with stock springs set at .85" Rear - 4600's
    Applied Mothers Synthetic back in May - still doing its job.

[​IMG]

NMTrailRider likes this.
  12. Nov 10, 2018 at 9:03 AM
    Slick Taco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Current vehicles: 2019 Rav4 Lunar Rock. 2018 TRD OR DCSB KD Max tuned. 2010 Tundra Limited Crew Max . 1991 4Runner Crawler. Ivan Stewart Edition
    KD Max Tune, King 2.5 coil overs T.C. UCA's, Deaver leafs, 17x9 Black Rhyno Warlords, 33" Toyo M/T's, Metal Tech rear bumper, Westin HDX drop steps with Bullet Liner coating, K&N CAI, Baja Designs fog pods, Rigid Midnight addition 3" pod ditch lights. Cali Raised brackets and 32" behind the grill mounted light bar, Southern Style Offroad Lopro Stage II front bumper, Warn winch, FACTOR 55 Ultra Hook, FACTOR 55 Hawes Fairleed, full debadge, Cosmetic goodies such as 15% carbon tint, matte black in channel rain guards, interior LED's, Teton Workshop shift knob, Inferno vinyl detailing on the interior, Cali Raised multi rocker switch cubby insert with Mc Tuning LED switches and a few other mods I've probably left out.
    Yeah mothers is a great OTC product as well but I can see by the size if the beads of water it's about time for a removal and a recoat. You will notice after your first wash after a fresh application of wax the beads of water are very large in general and roll off with ease. But as time goes on and the wax wears off the beads wil get smaller and smaller and stick to the paint rather than roll off. You're probably at the stage where I'd think about a new coat fairly soon still. And for some really great paint protection I reccomended a Polymer sealant durring the winter months. Stick with wax in the spring and summer and use a sealant in the fall and winter. :thumbsup:

cookiedough and Sig45[QUOTED] like this.
  13. Nov 10, 2018 at 9:10 AM
    Sig45

Sig45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Getting ready to do just that soon. 2X per year works for me. Usually May & Nov.

Slick Taco[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Nov 10, 2018 at 10:51 AM
    PackCon

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    I personally boycott the brand because I have had bad luck with the name.
    I know they make some good stuff I’m too scared to try something and it causes thousands of dollars of damage to my car.
    Bad experiences so I don’t trust the brand anymore.

And I will say this, most of the stuff they do sell at auto stores for cheap isn’t very good quality. You need to go online to get their better stuff.

15. Nov 10, 2018 at 1:02 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    What did you have bad luck with? I can't think of a single megs product at autozone that doesn't produce at least above average results compared to the rest of the otc pack of products.

Slick Taco likes this.
  16. Nov 10, 2018 at 2:16 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    There is ZERO reason to use a wax. More often than not it will melt off during summer heat.

PackCon and NMTrailRider like this.
  17. Nov 10, 2018 at 5:31 PM
    Slick Taco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Melt off? Good one :rofl:

Tacos4ever15 likes this.
  18. Nov 10, 2018 at 5:35 PM
    Slick Taco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    And I suppose if you use wax in the winter it will freeze and crack your paint ?

Tacos4ever15 likes this.
  19. Nov 11, 2018 at 6:50 AM
    PackCon

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    Their wheel cleaner and rubber cleaner stained my concrete driveway. I had to treat with muriatic acid to get off.

I don't want to know what that stuff will do to an aftermarket or high quality set of wheels. Luckily I only used it on the alloy stock set I had and not my current set of T4R TRD Pro wheels.

Their Ultimate Black also stains paint requiring paint correction to remove.

The wheel cleaner did it for me. Trust in their products is gone and I'm too scared to try anything out of fear it's going to do serious irreparable harm.

I have a bottle of their Stratch X 2.0 and that's all I've tried that I've cared for. I keep it for little by hand polishing I need to do. It's a poor product for use by machine because it's thin so it just flings everywhere.

NMTrailRider[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Nov 12, 2018 at 5:13 AM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    Basically the wax evaporates off the car especially in warmer climates. Fact is unless it’s a show car there really is no reason to use a wax anymore. Between sealants, SIO2 sprays, coatings...wax is a dinosaur product.

PackCon likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top