1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any OTC waxes/compounds recommended?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by jkshel24, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Nov 12, 2018 at 5:29 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    TRUTH!

Not sure why you are laughing. Thats exactly what happens. Heat will degrade the wax very quickly.
    In most daily driver situations you will be lucky to get 2-3 weeks worth of protection out of a wax.

As Ace said its pretty much a product for show cars that only leave a garage maybe once a year. And the waxes are for color effects not protection.

2. Nov 12, 2018 at 8:19 PM
    Slick Taco

Slick Taco Id Rather Be Airborne

Member:
    Lost somewhere in the PNW
    Vehicle:
    Current vehicles: 2019 Rav4 Lunar Rock. 2018 TRD OR DCSB KD Max tuned. 2010 Tundra Limited Crew Max . 1991 4Runner Crawler. Ivan Stewart Edition
    KD Max Tune, King 2.5 coil overs T.C. UCA's, Deaver leafs, 17x9 Black Rhyno Warlords, 33" Toyo M/T's, Metal Tech rear bumper, Westin HDX drop steps with Bullet Liner coating, K&N CAI, Baja Designs fog pods, Rigid Midnight addition 3" pod ditch lights. Cali Raised brackets and 32" behind the grill mounted light bar, Southern Style Offroad Lopro Stage II front bumper, Warn winch, FACTOR 55 Ultra Hook, FACTOR 55 Hawes Fairleed, full debadge, Cosmetic goodies such as 15% carbon tint, matte black in channel rain guards, interior LED's, Teton Workshop shift knob, Inferno vinyl detailing on the interior, Cali Raised multi rocker switch cubby insert with Mc Tuning LED switches and a few other mods I've probably left out.
    I guess it depends on where you live. Heat melting or evaporating wax where I live is not an issue even in the summer so in the summer i do wax. Call me old school but I like the deep rich look a wax gives paint that a sealant does not. My typical client has their vehicle waxed or sealed 4 times a year owns a daily driver and atleast one toy or show vehicle that they take out only on dry days where a sealant isn't necessary so those cars get wax exclusively. I do polymer on the daily drivers and anything that will be driven in adverse weather. But I guess we all have our preferred techniques.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  3. Nov 12, 2018 at 8:35 PM
    Nirvana

Nirvana Tesla Auto

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Morgan Hill, U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    2006 Off Road 4X4
    Icon ext. travel 2.5RR in front, Icon ext. travel 2.0RR in rear, BuiltRight uniball UCAs, Wheelers Superbumps, Goodridge steel braided brake lines, BruteForce front plate bumper w/ Warn M9000+synth line, American Auto Horns ACDF, Pelfrey Bussman mount+Sandman bussman fuse block (soon), 255/75R16s on painted stockers...because I'm not paying $800 to rock rash new wheels you scrubs. Shok Industries 2/0 big 4 upgrade and sound deadener.
    Agree. Their Ultimate Compound and Polish are pretty good for a quick pick up. Done a lot of paint clean up on some very swirled paint using them.

Never had that on my super white but I also tape off or clean off residue as soon as it gets on the paint. It doesn't last for shit which is why I won't buy another bottle. I put CarPro CQuartz on the plastics of my Fiance's Focus and they're still looking good over a year later.

RE: wheel cleaners, I feel like if you let that residue set into a porous surface from any manufacturer it's going to leave a stain. Some may break it down better and leave less of a stain but I have to imagine it's still going to leave some sort of stain.

ace96 likes this.
  4. Nov 15, 2018 at 4:23 PM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Although there are a few turds in their line - as with every brand - two of my go to products are from Meguire's. I love their M101 and M205 polishes. The M101 will correct just about anything with my Flex and finishes up beautifully. The M205 is a great finishing polish to follow up the M101 with. Sure, there are other products out there that work as well or maybe better. But when I find something that works as well as these two, I tend to keep using them. Just my 2 cents.

5. Nov 15, 2018 at 4:34 PM
    BillsSR5

BillsSR5 Looking out for #1

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5

Products Discussed in

To Top