1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any PC Builders Out There?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Tacoma_SR5Pro, Nov 19, 2017.

1. May 10, 2018 at 9:59 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Okay, looks like the first leaks may of been wrong. Looks like the new cards will be the 11XX series from nVidia.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/nvidia-volta-specs-release-date-rumours-2952823

The rumors are now looking like a late summer or fall release. Still conflicting reports if it's Volta or Ampere chips that will be used. My money is that it's something different, maybe Ampere is just Volta but with some sort of blocks to stop mining. That would make sense considering nVidia appears ready to release mainstream cards without display ports. Maybe nVidia blocks GTX cards from mining but allows mining on miner cards? That could fuck with me because I used my GTX series card for image processing which requires CUDA.

TacoCat likes this.
  2. May 10, 2018 at 12:26 PM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    An 1180 is set to pass the titan xp, so an 1170 would be equivalent to a 1080ti maybe? That would be nice.

3. May 10, 2018 at 12:46 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    It makes sense. The 10 series did the same thing to the preceding 9 series and Titan cards. A 1070 delivers frame rates just above a 980 and far above it in certain games.

I also expect that new lighting mode to role out which will be similar in effect to when FXAA came out. Long story short, the image on your screen will look even better especially in games that support the new lighting calculations BUT there will be a heavy performance penalty that only new cards will be able to play.

TacoCat[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. May 10, 2018 at 1:11 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    It seems like nVidia and AMD might slow down to a 2 year release cycle as they hit the 10 nm barrier. Intel has already switched to a tick-tack-tock model from their tick-tock model for that reason.

TacoCat likes this.
  5. May 10, 2018 at 4:46 PM
    TacoCat

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    Last i read, they are having difficulties getting their 10nm to work. Its been delayed several times. I think now its pushed to either end of 2018, or maybe into 2019 now.

6. May 10, 2018 at 5:26 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Yeah, the crazy thing is that AMD says they will have their 7 nm ready to go next year.

7. Jun 7, 2018 at 12:58 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    Crazy. I have been out of that industry for about 12 years now, but about the time I got out we were working with ASML as they were trying to get down to 32nm. They were doing funky things with mask designs and using a layer of flowing purified water to stabilize the light waves. They are reaching the limits of the way IC's are made -- light waves can't make it through the masks to make the imprint.

Anyway, in other news, my computer STB earlier this week. 5 years old, 4th gen i7. Pretty sure it's the mainboard, but I decided to just build a new one and try to resurrect the old one later since things have moved on to socket 1151 and DDR4. Sucks, that was a good computer. Not doing anything super special, just another mini ITX build with an ASUS board and 8th gen i5.

I was just doing updates on the old one, rebooted after Windows updates, then applied the latest Radeon driver and it wouldn't even POST on the next reboot, and it went into a reboot loop. I got it out of the reboot loop, but it just sits there. Tried several things to supposedly kick in the backup BIOS, tried clearing the CMOS, removing all drives, but nothing brought it back. All fans come on, but it never posts. Ah well, I will tinker with it once I get the new one built . . .

8. Jun 8, 2018 at 2:02 AM
    TacoCat

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    If you have a spare power supply try that. I have seen flaky power supplies that are on their way out do exactly what you mentioned.

9. Jun 8, 2018 at 4:58 AM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    Hmm, yeah, that thought occurred to me but the fans coming on made me think it was fine. I didn't have a spare until all my parts arrived, I got rid of all my spare stuff in our last move (I had a LOT of if). But, now I am up and running on the new one, all my data was fine.

The old one was a quality PSU that was oversized for its job (Corsair CX600). Looking through the mainboard, I didn't find any popped caps or obvious signs of failure, but that doesn't mean much.

I was planning on getting another case and nursing the old one back to health. Maybe I'll start with a PSU. If it isn't the PSU, at least I will have a spare.

10. Jun 8, 2018 at 7:22 AM
    TacoCat

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    I have seen computers with what would be diagnosed as a failed mobo, only to swap power supply and everything is fine. Back in my tech support days. And in those couple of cases, the fans all spun up, but mobo would not post

11. Jun 8, 2018 at 7:24 AM
    Fatmonk8

Fatmonk8 Did anyone ever tell you you're my hero?

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Delco, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 Barcelona Red Taco 3.5 V6
  12. Jun 8, 2018 at 7:59 AM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, if I'd had a spare good one sitting around, I might have tried that first, but it is 5 years old and compatibility of parts is becoming an issue, so I just bit the bullet and built a new one. Now that you mention it, its behavior when trying to POST was a bit odd -- it tries to spin the fans up to a high speed, then throttles down, then back up and keeps going back and forth. Occasionally it will just restart over and over, but most of the time it just sits there spinning fans up then back down. That kind of sounds like when it is trying to pull more power it is unable to get everything it needs. It's got a Gigabyte Ultra-Durable board, and I don't really run it very hard, so PSU sounds like it is the likely culprit.

I'll start with that and run through some more troubleshooting to rule out a memory module or slot if that doesn't do the trick. I learned a long time ago not to use the cheap PSU's -- that used to be the component I swapped out the most until I started buying better ones.

13. Jun 8, 2018 at 4:16 PM
    replica9000

replica9000 Das ist no bueno

Member:
    Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    I was thinking it was a GPU issue. I've had MBs fail to post because of that. That was also before the days of integrated GPUs though.

14. Jun 8, 2018 at 4:21 PM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    I removed the video card and disconnected all drives to try to force it into the BIOS. No dice. So it's either PSU, CPU, RAM or MB. I've never seen RAM or CPU just STB on a simple reboot, so my bet is either CPU or PSU. So STFU, LOL. TGIF.

My Ubiquiti stuff just arrived, new Wifi setup on the way . . .

TacoCat likes this.
  15. Jun 8, 2018 at 4:33 PM
    replica9000

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    In my experience, I usually find the order of failure is PSU > MB > RAM > GPU (non-integrated) > CPU. I've had a RAM or MB STB on a reboot. I've also had MBs fail to post because there was a flash drive inserted :notsure:

TacoCat likes this.
  16. Jun 9, 2018 at 1:00 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    I've had Ram work fine through BIOS but crash immediately on Win 7/8/10 boot. Really confusing until you run memcheck.

17. Sep 19, 2018 at 2:13 PM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    Having an issue with my Asus G73jh.

Somehow in the last week it starting freezing up just sitting idle. In the past, this has been associated with either a program in the catalyst settings or a software issue with sound. I have been able to fix it in the past.

Probably auto update installed a new driver with either the video or sound.

However now, I am not even able to get into device manager or programs to uninstall to an older driver because it freezes up before I can uninstall.

So I decided just to format and start fresh.

The problem lies here.
    Sometime ago I was in the bios doing some tweaking and set a password to either the bios or and admin password to even get to the login screen.
    I can't access my bios to change the boot drive from C: to thumbdrive.

Even on bootup. I can hold F2 and it doesn't go into the bios. The admin Or bios password box comes up. So I put that password in and still hold F2 and it just goes right to the log in screen where I'm asked for my log in password.

I've tried it a zillion times and can't get into the bios to change boot option.

Any Ideas?

18. Sep 19, 2018 at 2:58 PM
    replica9000

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    Use a jumper to reset the bios

TC_Mic and TacoCat like this.
  19. Sep 19, 2018 at 3:13 PM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    I think that's going to require me disassembling the entire laptop. I've done it once to re thermal paste the gpu and cpu.
    I'm not sure what a jumper is or how to do it.
    Not even sure this model has a cmos battery.

20. Sep 20, 2018 at 5:00 AM
    replica9000

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    Looks like there may be a reset button somewhere underneath.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/g73jh-asus-bios-reset.512238/

Matic[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top