1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

any recommendations for an easy trail/camping spot?

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by aficianado, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Jan 16, 2011 at 6:53 PM
    aficianado

aficianado [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    my wife gave me homework. she wants to do some hiking, and car camping bad. i keep promising, but dropping the ball.

i need to do this.
    i need some help. i need to find a spot that is great for camping. campfire friendly. i dont want to be all crammed up next to some other family in another camp spot. so i want some isolation. i figured a great spot you need to mildly wheel into will eliminate alot of the crowd. this place needs to be great for 2 days out. unload a truck, set up a comfy posh camp, and do day hikes into the wilderness.

anything sound familiar? i am in the bay area. 3 hours away would be doable. we can do this late spring when it is still very cool but not freezing.

we need "alone" time. hahahah.

2. Jan 16, 2011 at 10:09 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Well, you're closer than you think to the cool stuff.

Mt. Madonna County Park has some great sites and is hiking friendly (Santa Clara County), Memorial Park (San Mateo County) offers camping and hiking also. Farther down the coast you've got Piffer Big Sur and any number of campgrounds along the way down Highway 1 (Not to mention Sunset State Beach--in Santa Cruz County).
    All of these are places you will be next to someone else but my advice is go there first--just in case the wife decides a hotel or restaurant is in order ;)

None of those has wheeling...but...if you want to head up to the Lost Coast, there's a little there plus there's the isolation your seek. The same can be said for the Eldorado forest--late spring/summer/fall are better for this. If you want, Big Sur has some remote camping too.

Good luck in your search!

3. Jan 17, 2011 at 9:26 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    OK, you just described national forest or BLM "dispersed" camping.

Stanislaus national forest. In spring, there won't be any campfire restrictions. In fact, you may want to bring your own firewood, kindling, and tinder because everything will be so wet you may have trouble getting a fire going unless you're *really* good at it.

Order a map from the National Forest Service online. Drive in - pick a likely spot, set up camp. Don't camp too close to an OHV parking/staging area or you'll be hearing ATVs and motorcycles.

You need to bring *everything* you'll need, including water, TP, a little shovel for digging catholes, etc... Make sure your wife is OK with the zero-plumbing option though. Girls can be funny about that.

Sorry, I am *not* giving out GPS locations of the good spots I've discovered.

4. Jan 17, 2011 at 9:29 PM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    The other option to get what you want is midweek camping.

All our nearby campgrounds turn into mini-cities on Friday and Saturday night. Camp on Monday and Tuesday night - and you've got the place to yourself.

5. Jan 17, 2011 at 9:30 PM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    A little further away, Death Valley has some great isolated spots for dispersed camping on road that are accessible by a stock 4x4. No campfires allowed outside of established campgrounds there, though.

6. Jan 17, 2011 at 10:48 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    A place that I have gone to the last 2 years with friends is Stumpy Meadows Reservoir in the El Dorado National Forrest. It's about a 3.5 hour drive from the East Bay. There's a ton of trails, with a variety of length and difficulty. THe campsites are super quiet and there's a lot of space between them. There's no showers but they updated the vaulted toilets recently.

There are short trails from the campsites to the reservoir or you drive to a ton of different trail heads nearby. There's a 2-3 mile hike to University Falls, manmade waterfall slides. And if you're really up to off roading, there's the Rubicon right there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Jan 31, 2011 at 2:45 PM
    SACTOWN

SACTOWN ???????????????????????

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    '18 ZR2, 04 Rubicon, &19 lx570
    Got to love icehouse!!! One of my fav spots!!!!!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top