1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any redflags in my 2023 build?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Minimus Maximus, Mar 18, 2023.

1. Mar 18, 2023 at 4:12 PM
    Minimus Maximus

Minimus Maximus [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off-Road
    Hi I recently purchased a 2023 Tacoma TRD Off-road and am looking to upgrade the suspension and fit larger wheels and tires. I've read quite a lot on these and other forums and have a basic game plan but I wanted to post the details here for others to proof read for possible issues and just to get some thoughts on it.

Here my current shopping cart

OME/ARB NitoCharger Front Shocks - 90000
    OME Coils - 2886
    Freedom Off-Road Upper Control Arms - FO-T701FU

OME/ARB Nitrocharger Rear Shocks - 60091
    TORCH Off-Road Add-A-Leaf Single Blade - ‎689355918781

PRO COMP Series 46 Prodigy Wheels - PXA7046-7983
    17x9 / 6x5.5 / -6mm Offset / 4.75 Backspacing

I'm still choosing what tires I want but I'm leaning toward a 295/70/17 Toyo Open Country R/T

As advertised this should give me 3 inches front and 2 inches in the rear

My plan is to preform a Cab Mount Chop and cut the bumper and fender liner as necessary to fit these tires. I will be ordering an aftermarket high clearance bumper eventually which will cut away more material but I may have small "Viper cut" for awhile while I choose a bumper and wait on the lead time.

I'm looking particularly at a Southern Style Off-Road Slimline Hybrid Full Plate Front Bumper. Which doesn't cut as high as most other aftermarket bumpers and allows you to keep your factory fog lights. However I am concerned about its Off-Road capability's when compared to other bumpers with a higher clearance but I will probably make a separate post about this.

My idea with the Add-A-Leaf is to get the lift I need without replacing my stock leaf springs. I want to get some life out of them as they are hard to sell. Ill probably replace the pack around 60k miles once it starts to sag.

A few questions I have.
    Will the backspacing and offset of these wheels be too little or too much and will I need Wheel spacers and if so what size?

Are Freedom Off-Road UCAs a viable substitute to OME or SPC UCAs? They seem well spoken of for these trucks but would love thought/opinions.

Can I purchase extended Front bump stops to avoid rubbing the fender flares when off-roading? Will it even be necessary at this tire size?
    I understand some people with "35s" cut their fender flares to solve this problem and I want to avoid cutting my flares at any cost.

Any help is appreciated and thanks to everyone on here in advance. This forum has been invaluable to me in planning this. ~ MM

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
  2. Mar 18, 2023 at 4:27 PM
    01 dhrracer

01 dhrracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palm Desert/Bermuda Dunes
    Vehicle:
    Still Shopping
    How and where do you plan to use your truck? With your current cart it might be fine as a mall crawler but it will ride pretty rough and your ride height will have the suspension close to full extension and you will not have any dropout.

bulalo, AmateurTaco1313 and na8rboy like this.
  3. Mar 18, 2023 at 4:34 PM
    Minimus Maximus

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off-Road
    I definitely plan on off-roading the truck. Do you mean that there isn't enough weight on the suspension? The coils I bought were recommended for a steel bumper/winch combo which I do plan on buying. Sorry I probably should have mentioned that. Also Plan on using a full toolbox in the bed or maybe a camper shell eventually. Ill probably always have about 200-300 hundred pounds in the back. Also will be getting sliders at some point.

4. Mar 18, 2023 at 4:48 PM
    na8rboy

na8rboy 18 DCLB Sport Cement

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB SPORT CEMENT
    Replace needle bearing.

Chew and AmateurTaco1313 like this.
  5. Mar 18, 2023 at 5:05 PM
    Minimus Maximus

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off-Road
    I've never looked into getting that replaced. I could probably swap that out while I'm doing the lift. Do the stock needle bearings fail often? Thanks!

6. Mar 18, 2023 at 5:07 PM
    na8rboy

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB SPORT CEMENT
    Yes, most get vibration from it. Popular one is ECGS clam shell, bushing/bearing.

Another thing to consider carrier bearing drop, rear axle shims.

7. Mar 18, 2023 at 5:40 PM
    AmateurTaco1313

AmateurTaco1313 Long travel, she calls to me….

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport 4WD DCSB
    Too many
    Be sure to hammer and seal your pinch weld so it doesn’t slice your tires when stuffed off road. Then again if you leave your fenders in you will just rub tire against fender, then fender against pinch weld.

super interested in the final product of this. I would do upgraded bump stops and a u bolt flip kit with the upgraded bump stops if you plan on off roasing

8. Mar 18, 2023 at 5:53 PM
    na8rboy

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB SPORT CEMENT
    You also might want to consider a research. From what I have read. Most whom end up running 285's and larger end up regearing. Just food for thought. You are going to drop mpg drastically with this setup, expect 12 to 15 mpg tops.

Chew likes this.
  9. Mar 18, 2023 at 5:55 PM
    Minimus Maximus

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off-Road
    Yeah Im gonna hammer down the pinch welds whilst doing the Cab mount chop following a few videos on Youtube that go through it. Looks pretty easy. As far as the fender cutting Ill do as much as I need too I just want to avoid cutting into the flare ideally. Ill probably do some testing with the suspension after the initial lift to see how much rub I get and buy the bump stops if I need to.
    Ill make sure to post pictures of the finished product later this month.
    [​IMG]
    This Is the cutting I want to avoid

10. Mar 18, 2023 at 5:56 PM
    jamie_aug

jamie_aug Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota Tacoma
    Accutune Offroad 05+ Tacoma Mid Travel Suspension Kit, Stage 5A – Fox SKU: AOR-3000-0021 Adventure tune -Front Coilovers: Fox 2.5 Performance Elite Series, DSC -Sway bar relocation brackets included with shocks -Front UCA: AccuTune Offroad -Rear Shocks: Fox 2.5 x 12″ DSC – Modified -Rear Archive Garage Shock Relocation Brackets -Rear Springs: Icon RXT Pack -Archive Garage Rear Shock Relocation Brackets -Archive Garage Hammer Hangers -Rear U-Bolt: AccuTune Offroad -Rear +4″ Crown Performance Brake Lines Remove: Front UCA - Icon Delta Joint Add: Camburg Kinetik Series Billet Upper Control Arm, Uniball, 05+ Tacoma, 03+ 4Runner SKU: CAM-310103 Add: CAMBURG TOYOTA TACOMA PRE/4WD 05-20 PERFORMANCE SPINDLE KIT SKU: CAM-310114 Add: CAMBURG TOYOTA TACOMA PRE/4WD 16-20 PERFORMANCE LOWER ARM KIT Code: CAM-310126 Add: '05-CURRENT TOYOTA TACOMA CAMBURG FRONT BYPASS SHOCK MOUNT KIT add recommended FOX 2.5 bypass shock PART#: CAM-310052 Durpbumps - 3rd Gen Tacoma Front Off Road Bump Stops (2016-2023) DBF212 DRT Fab TACOMA CAB MOUNT RELOCATION DRT Fab UNIVERSAL HITCH SKID PLATE Fuel Offroad - Block Model D752 - 17x9 Matte Anthracite w/ Black Ring Negative -12 offset Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/70r17 Nitro Gear and Axle '16-CURRENT TOYOTA TACOMA W/8.75 INCH REAR 4.88 RATIO FRONT AND REAR GEAR PACKAGE KIT VENDOR: Nitro Gear and Axle PART#: GPTACO2016-4.88-8.75 Yes to REM gear polish OV Tune Tacoma 3.5L vF Tune Pack Get right tune for gearing of 4.88 Vftuner.com Nitro Gear and Axle '05-CURRENT TOYOTA TACOMA 8" CLAMSHELL STUB AXLE BUSHING VENDOR: Nitro Gear and Axle PART#: NITRO-AKT8S S.O.S Performance Stoptech 6 PISTON FRONT BIG BRAKE KIT fits 2005-21 TOYOTA TACOMA TR340.6TA SOS PERFORMANCE 4x4 Black Slotted rotors Paint fender flares cement gray to match Custom Viper Cut Front bumper. Seibon Carbon - TR-STYLE CARBON FIBER HOOD FOR 2016-2021 TOYOTA TACOMA, custom painting to look like a TRD Pro. C4 Fab - TACOMA ROCK SLIDERS / 3RD GEN / 2016+, shipped raw, line-x by local shop TACOMA BED STIFFENERS - 3RD GEN, 2016-2023 TOYOTA TACOMA ACCESSORIES,REAR CHANNEL BED STIFFENERS, PART #48676 Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Full Custom Stereo with 2x8” subs behind the seat, Kenwood head unit. Taco Garage - Dashtop Multi Mount (DMM) for RAM mount system Toyota - TRD Pro Skid Plate Toyota – Bed Mount Step
    +1 for the needle bearing.
    Don’t know much about the freedom Offroad UCA’s, but UCA’s are a must. They may be okay.

Honestly if it was me, I’d just wheel the thing stock until I could buy the good stuff.

Camberg/icon/total chaos uca’s or something similar.

Buy some decent shocks
    They’re pricey but it’s makes a world of difference.

Basically everything you’re talking about bolting on will have to be done again with higher quality components later.

Buy once, cry once.

The Taco is incredibly capable offroad in stock trim, and it definitely drives better on road than anything modified.

11. Mar 18, 2023 at 6:17 PM
    Brownmatthall

Brownmatthall Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    This. Also heavily agree with wheeling your truck first, I think I wheeled mine for about a year on just tires before I started upgrading. It's one thing to go for a certain look (which is totally fine, nothing wrong with that), but a) lifting it 3" is going to do way more harm than good and b) the components you listed are on the lower end of the spectrum, even for a weekend warrior build

12. Mar 18, 2023 at 6:28 PM
    jamie_aug

jamie_aug Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota Tacoma
    Accutune Offroad 05+ Tacoma Mid Travel Suspension Kit, Stage 5A – Fox SKU: AOR-3000-0021 Adventure tune -Front Coilovers: Fox 2.5 Performance Elite Series, DSC -Sway bar relocation brackets included with shocks -Front UCA: AccuTune Offroad -Rear Shocks: Fox 2.5 x 12″ DSC – Modified -Rear Archive Garage Shock Relocation Brackets -Rear Springs: Icon RXT Pack -Archive Garage Rear Shock Relocation Brackets -Archive Garage Hammer Hangers -Rear U-Bolt: AccuTune Offroad -Rear +4″ Crown Performance Brake Lines Remove: Front UCA - Icon Delta Joint Add: Camburg Kinetik Series Billet Upper Control Arm, Uniball, 05+ Tacoma, 03+ 4Runner SKU: CAM-310103 Add: CAMBURG TOYOTA TACOMA PRE/4WD 05-20 PERFORMANCE SPINDLE KIT SKU: CAM-310114 Add: CAMBURG TOYOTA TACOMA PRE/4WD 16-20 PERFORMANCE LOWER ARM KIT Code: CAM-310126 Add: '05-CURRENT TOYOTA TACOMA CAMBURG FRONT BYPASS SHOCK MOUNT KIT add recommended FOX 2.5 bypass shock PART#: CAM-310052 Durpbumps - 3rd Gen Tacoma Front Off Road Bump Stops (2016-2023) DBF212 DRT Fab TACOMA CAB MOUNT RELOCATION DRT Fab UNIVERSAL HITCH SKID PLATE Fuel Offroad - Block Model D752 - 17x9 Matte Anthracite w/ Black Ring Negative -12 offset Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/70r17 Nitro Gear and Axle '16-CURRENT TOYOTA TACOMA W/8.75 INCH REAR 4.88 RATIO FRONT AND REAR GEAR PACKAGE KIT VENDOR: Nitro Gear and Axle PART#: GPTACO2016-4.88-8.75 Yes to REM gear polish OV Tune Tacoma 3.5L vF Tune Pack Get right tune for gearing of 4.88 Vftuner.com Nitro Gear and Axle '05-CURRENT TOYOTA TACOMA 8" CLAMSHELL STUB AXLE BUSHING VENDOR: Nitro Gear and Axle PART#: NITRO-AKT8S S.O.S Performance Stoptech 6 PISTON FRONT BIG BRAKE KIT fits 2005-21 TOYOTA TACOMA TR340.6TA SOS PERFORMANCE 4x4 Black Slotted rotors Paint fender flares cement gray to match Custom Viper Cut Front bumper. Seibon Carbon - TR-STYLE CARBON FIBER HOOD FOR 2016-2021 TOYOTA TACOMA, custom painting to look like a TRD Pro. C4 Fab - TACOMA ROCK SLIDERS / 3RD GEN / 2016+, shipped raw, line-x by local shop TACOMA BED STIFFENERS - 3RD GEN, 2016-2023 TOYOTA TACOMA ACCESSORIES,REAR CHANNEL BED STIFFENERS, PART #48676 Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Full Custom Stereo with 2x8” subs behind the seat, Kenwood head unit. Taco Garage - Dashtop Multi Mount (DMM) for RAM mount system Toyota - TRD Pro Skid Plate Toyota – Bed Mount Step
    Totally agree…

It’s easy to make it “look” cool, and nothing wrong with wanting to crawl the mall and look cool if that’s your jam, I don’t discriminate.

But if you’re actually gonna upgrade the suspension, you need to spend some $$$.
    Otherwise it will probably run better stock.

I think your onto something.

My recommendation for this guy would be:
    Stuff the biggest tires you can without rubbing, onto a stock truck. BFG KO2’s or something like that and go drive the thing.

Save your $ and splash out $5k+ on UCA’s, Kings or Fox’s and a wheel tire combo down the road.

Ballz likes this.
  13. Mar 18, 2023 at 6:33 PM
    Minimus Maximus

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off-Road
    My understanding was the OME/ARB shocks were pretty good and comparable to Bilstein. I dont think I will ever need Fox or king shocks.
    I was worried about the UCAs specifically but many on the forums seem to think they were perfectly fine. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...are-rebranded-hardrace-suspension-uca.716794/
    Definitely going to have to replace the AAL eventually though

14. Mar 18, 2023 at 6:35 PM
    Brownmatthall

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    Doesn't even have to be all at once, I swapped out piece by piece based on my needs as I went. You can easily fit 255/85r16s in the wheel well and that way you have a 33 that's taller than a 285 without needing to trim and cut

15. Mar 18, 2023 at 6:38 PM
    Brownmatthall

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    They may be comparable to the 5100 but again, those are entry level shocks that you will more than likely regret sooner than later. I do agree fox and king are overkill for most, I run bilstein 6112/5160s. Also for what it's worth, I'm still on factory uca's :anonymous:

chico47 likes this.
  16. Mar 18, 2023 at 6:38 PM
    boston23

boston23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    OP, OME nitros are twintube shocks, kind of old tech now. I suggest considering an entry level monotube shock like the bilstein 5100’s or the eibach pro truck kit

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
    Jr., Ricardo13x and AmateurTaco1313 like this.
  17. Mar 18, 2023 at 7:22 PM
    jamie_aug

jamie_aug Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota Tacoma
    There is nothing wrong with with OME/ARB shocks.
    I just don't think the ride will be worth it over stock.
    I've heard some decent things about the OME BP51's, but for a kit with rear leafs the kit is still $3k, wheels and tires, install and your right where I said you would be $5k+.

Sure, most of us really don't NEED, Kings or Fox's. But they sure are epic offroad. They work pure and simple.
    And they are a major upgrade over stock. That's why guys run em... expensive sure. But they work.

If you're not going to be doing hard core off-roading where you don't "need" kings or foxes, why not stick with a stock truck and save your money for at least something decent down the road.

The UCA's your looking at are $360... SPC UCA are $690, Camburg UCA's are $750.
    Sure they are more, but at least your getting something proven. ALOT of guys run SPC's... and like someone else said, they are running stock ones for now.
    The stocks won't last if you do offroad a bit, but you don't have to do them right away.

It took me a few years to get where I'm at... I had a 2017 Taco before my 2021. My 2021 is so overkill it's dumb... you don't have to be dumb.
    But get some decent stuff and you won't be sorry.

My 2017 had SPC UCA, King's, stock leaf's with a 1" block, wheels and tires, light fender trimming, and it was awesome. Loved that truck.
    Looked good, wheeled good, was super happy with it.
    You could literally do this same thing with a shock spacer kit to start, and then save up for the shock replacement.
    That way you can go piece by piece.

Here is an idea for you.

Wheels and tires
    keep the stock UCA
    Shock spacer kit for the front
    1" Block in the rear, set of inexpensive rear shocks.
    Trim up the fenders if need be.
    This is an inexpensive way to get the look you want.

Then when you save up in six months, get the UCA's

Then in a year or two, replace the shocks...

Just a though...

hiPSI likes this.
  18. Mar 18, 2023 at 7:27 PM
    burgershot

burgershot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bro just drive your truck before loading up your 'shopping cart'

19. Mar 18, 2023 at 7:32 PM
    TacoSR523

TacoSR523 Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma SR5 Barcelona Red
    Just a few accessories, mud flaps, bed cover , racks, seat covers, ….
    You may want to take a look at this yet video, before you go ahead with your shopping list! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WOxFPUoQ4I

20. Mar 18, 2023 at 7:41 PM
    Minimus Maximus

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off-Road
    Why? Ive heard this before but I dont really believe in this mythical "getting to know your stock truck" phase. Im just taking parts off and putting new ones on. Its just a machine. Probably going to regear it and spend another 3k in different things all before 5k miles.

boston23 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top