1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any sport owners regret not getting an offroad?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by bosstaco, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Nov 20, 2020 at 7:54 PM
    bosstaco

bosstaco [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD
    Good Day All,

Joined the forum and didn't mean to be so quiet with such a great group but sadly my less than 1 month old taco gained her wings. Just thinking of it pisses me off but long story short, got hit head on by a kid in daddys' charger in an apparent street race. I'm on my way home from work and saw the headlights coming in the distance but last minute, they veered into my lane before I could react and next thing I know, I'm crawling out of my truck. The look on the faces of the people around me said it all and when I saw the truck, let's just say I know it was nothing but the grace of God not to just be able to walk away, but to still be here period.

With that being said, I've got some much needed rest and am now back in the market for another Tacoma. First, I don't want to this to necessarily be a thread of sport vs offroad (trust me, I've read every single one of those), but I want to hear first hand from sport owners and if they have any regrets on not getting an offroad model?

The reason I'm asking is because I did some heavy research beforehand and ended up purchasing the offroad due to the additional offroad goodies as well as the rugged look vs the more refined look of the sport. I'm still a diehard offroad fan but my local dealer has a voodoo blue sport that I fell in love with. I ended up taking it for a test drive and loved everything about it. Like alot of others with the offroad, one thing I regretted was not getting a hood scoop and being real with myself, I'm not sure if I'll ever really use the locker, control control, etc.

From what I've read, a 4x4 sport is more than capable for what I'll be using it for but it's just that justification that they run pretty much the same price as an offroad. Another thing that swayed my decision was my salesman who was great at what he did but made it seem like the sport was nothing more than an appearance package vs the offroad and if I wanted, it wouldn't be hard to mimic the look of a sport on an offroad by getting a new hood. I do much prefer the black fender flares and wheels of the offroad but those both are things that would be easy to swap onto a sport.

Ride wise, I notice some comment on differences but it wasn't a night and day difference by any means.

Any guys or gals here regret your decision? At the end of the day, I feel like both are very solid trucks and I know it's my decision but I just want to hear from others. Again, please no bashing, just looking for honest opinions. Thinking of trying a sport this go round but just don't want to have buyers remorse every time I see an offroad (though honestly, I seem to see many more sports on the road.)

2. Nov 20, 2020 at 8:22 PM
    Jamesk

Jamesk Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    ND
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    I have had both sport and off road. The hood scoop to me is just a bug catcher! I dont do much off road but I feel you get more fore your money with the off road model.

3. Nov 20, 2020 at 8:23 PM
    CreekCrawler

CreekCrawler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Vehicle:
    2019 SSM TRD Sport
    Man, glad you’re okay.

I had a similar dilemma a couple years back, and I wound up in a Sport. Enough locking rear differential talk will make anyone second guess their decision, but the Sport is more than capable of handling anything that I’m willing to put my daily driver through. And I actually preferred the tighter suspension of the Sport over the OffRoad when I test drove both. Being honest, that “appearance package” with the hood scoop and color matched flares was a selling point for me, too. Only thing I don’t love about the Sport is the wheels, but that’s kind of a low point on both models IMHO. And I’m finally working on taking care of that now.

Funny, but feel like I see a lot more OffRoads than Sports in my area...at least 3rd Gens.

Don’t think you can really go wrong with either truck.

novamchd, Intrepid, Raylo and 10 others like this.
  4. Nov 20, 2020 at 8:26 PM
    Bleep100

Bleep100 TOYOTA 4 LIFE

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 Sport
    This is something new .

5. Nov 20, 2020 at 8:27 PM
    Bishop84

Bishop84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Honestly, if you love the truck, go for it, the shocks ride slightly rougher, but it actually makes a difference cornering, my offroad rolled a lot more than a coworkers sport and I always was envious of that until I was on a trail 1% of the time.

6. Nov 20, 2020 at 8:29 PM
    Taco1701

Taco1701 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    GA
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4 Cement
    Be prepared, these threads inevitably devolve into into a Sport vs Off Road debate. Hopefully that won’t be the case here but, brace yourself, just in case lol.

To answer your question, I have no regrets getting my Sport. I had a 2017 Off Road for 2 years and never needed crawl control or the rear locker. I just need 4wd occasionally. I spend most of my time on pavement and I much prefer the on road manners of the Sport. I also like the looks and the skewp. I think my 2020 Sport might be my favorite out of the 4 Tacoma’s I’ve had.

Also, glad you made it out of that wreck okay. Sounded rough.

7. Nov 20, 2020 at 8:31 PM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    You could always just buy a TRD Pro, has the same nonfunctional scoop and the other goodies from the Off Road. Best of both worlds.

8. Nov 20, 2020 at 8:33 PM
    Skydvrr

Skydvrr IG: @kalopsianick

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    YMH
    Vehicle:
    Black '17 OR
    Yes, they always regret it. Don't believe their lies.

9. Nov 20, 2020 at 8:34 PM
    whoispurplegoo

whoispurplegoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Sport 4x4 DCSB
    i think about it every once in a while, but my tacoma lives on pavement. i rarely even use the 4wd, so no regrets.

RON_TRD Sport, BSFord and DMZ like this.
  10. Nov 20, 2020 at 8:42 PM
    4runr30

4runr30 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Avery
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB
    Dobinsons Quick Ride 2” suspension kit, IVD Vector 6, Falken AT3W 285/70/17, SSO Slimline, Smitty 9.5
    I only regret not getting the OR when I head to the mall and don’t get the same street cred the OR guys do when hopping the curbs.

11. Nov 20, 2020 at 8:54 PM
    Pablo8

Pablo8 Here!

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Everson WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Sport 4X4 MT AC
    OVT, 4.88, ADM, F&R ARB lock, KO2's, RWD L MOD
    No regrets at all. Sometimes I wish I had a 4door.

Really though my question: Did the kid in the Charger live?

syswalla and Junkhead like this.
  12. Nov 20, 2020 at 9:12 PM
    Naonak

Naonak Mike Oxyuge

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    I purchased a Sport. After about a year of ownership, it just got to me too much and I had to trade it in for an Off-Road. Don't buy the sport if you're even a little bit on the fence. You will regret it as I did.

13. Nov 20, 2020 at 9:16 PM
    Blackbeard83

Blackbeard83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Sport 4x4 ACLB MBM MT
    currently stock
    Man that is absolutely horrible that you had to deal with that crash but glad you were able to walk away from it!!

I got a Sport but the only reason why I did was the fact that it was the only way to get manual transmission with the access cab. If the US was like Canada and able to get the Offroad access cab with manual I would have gone that route.

Eitherway, I love my taco. The sport is mostly cosmetics but has a stiffer suspension and seems to handle heavier loads in the bed better. I have thrown some good amount of weight in the bed and it handle beautifully. Like some have said, both are very capable offroading but obviously the Offroad has a little more features to help with that.

14. Nov 20, 2020 at 9:17 PM
    18trdsport

18trdsport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport ACLB MT
    Sorry to hear about the crash OP and glad to hear you made it out alive.

No regrets. For me, the locker is the only selling point for the OR. My criteria when looking for a Tacoma:

- 99% of driving on paved roads.
    - 4wd for the other 1% which may be snow packed or dirt roads. No overlanding, crawling or mudding intended.
    - Longbed for occasional hauling junk and moving large items.
    - Manual transmission. Personal preference.

I don't like the black wheel flares on the OR or Pros. I wish they were body colored. I could live with it though. I didn't need the hood scoop, but it came in handy as I have already purchased a small light bar to mount inside of the scoop.

At this point, it came down to shopping for the best deals, and I ended up with one heck of a deal ($4k off MSRP) on a fully loaded Sport that met my criteria. If the same criteria and deal was met for a manual Access Cab OR, I would have bought it all the same. I had been searching for over two years (although it was a rather lazy search as I was in no rush to buy).

Soon will be adding TRD PRO Fox suspension (Just received the kit) plus wheels & tires (still choosing).

15. Nov 20, 2020 at 9:20 PM
    shakerhood

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    The combo you wanted pretty much made the choice for you as the only way to get an Access Cab MT is in a Sport.

CygnusX191, DMZ and troutarebeautiful like this.
  16. Nov 20, 2020 at 9:26 PM
    jersey jim

jersey jim Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement DCSB TRD Sport 4x4 6MT
    No regrets here, but I don't go offroad, only dirt roads when I go camping. Shoot, I used to drive the same dirt roads in a Crown Victoria.

I like the looks, I prefer the Sport suspension for the driving I do.

Only you can decide, though.

17. Nov 20, 2020 at 9:34 PM
    Pablo8

Pablo8 Here!

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Everson WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Sport 4X4 MT AC
    OVT, 4.88, ADM, F&R ARB lock, KO2's, RWD L MOD
    Indeed bought for the MT. The rest I am making better than an OR. Not a cheap road but a nice one. I just need to decide on suspension. Sport Hitachi shocks suck on whoopdidos.

CygnusX191 likes this.
  18. Nov 20, 2020 at 9:41 PM
    18trdsport

18trdsport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport ACLB MT
    I guess that would be the reason why I never came across an OR version during the 2 year search :tumbleweed:

19. Nov 20, 2020 at 9:42 PM
    TA2016

TA2016 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport AT V6 4x4 ACLB P&T Package Red
    No regrets on my Sport. Never go off road (needed 4x4 a few times to get me through snow). Had a 30 mile round trip (pre Covid) commute to work (all freeway) so I love the cornering. In my younger days, I had a 77 Trans Am with a non-functional shaker hood scoop, so non-functional does not bother me.
    On a piece of paper, draw columns labeled SR, SR5, Sport, OR, Limited, Pro. Write in each column what you like and don't like. The column with the biggest positive number is what you should get.

20. Nov 20, 2020 at 9:43 PM
    shakerhood

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    You used to be able to get that configuration on 1st and 2nd Gen Tacoma's but for some reason on the 3rd only Canada gets it.

CygnusX191 and Junkhead like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top