1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any Toyota techs that can lend some advice?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SpeedoJosh, May 25, 2015.

1. May 25, 2015 at 8:55 AM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    2010 tacoma, 120k miles
    All maintenance performed by dealer

So my tacoma makes all kinds of pings and/or spark knocks. I've googled my head off, and have found countless threads and videos of the same issue. Mine sounds similar to them all.

I was happy when I saw there is a TSB for this issue, but then saw it was only 2012+.
    Is it possible to get that on a 2010? Does a reflash for pinging even exist for a 2010? I listened to a video of a guy and his 2012 tacoma sounded exactly like mine, and he stated a reflash fixed his.

Another thing that drives me crazy is the weird shifting when slowly pulling out on a downhill. The truck has a weird lag and when you try to give it gas the RPMs shoot up like the trans is slipping. Another 3 hours of google shows a lot of people had this fixed with the gas pedal trim recall done b/c the dealership also flashed the truck in the same trip.

Well my truck must not of been reflashed, b/c it still does it, and it not only drives me crazy, but is almost dangerous. I live on a hill, and when I pull out sometimes cars come speeding over the top of the hill, and if I can't hurry up and speed away, then it presents a dangerous situation. The only way I can avoid this long lag is to roll through the stop sign at about 3-5 and hit the gas before starting the turn, then continue the acceleration through the turn.

So what kind of reflash do I need? Is there even a reflash for this? I'm not too knowledgable in the reflash department, so I'm not sure if there are multiple reflashes for a vehicle and they all just accumulate on a hard drive. Or, if there is just a current reflash, and it overrides all previous ones.

Tried calling my dealer about the TSB for the first problem, and asked about the 2012+ issue and he said I could bring it in and pay $120 for them to run a diagnostic on it. Well I don't really want to pay them to just tell me I have what a bunch of other tacoma owners have. Then also pay them to reflash it with something that is not going to even fix my issue.

Any advice from a tech or anyone on the forum that's pretty savy in this area?

2. May 25, 2015 at 9:32 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    sounds like you may need a proper diagnostic for your complaint . whats the mileağe ?
    what have you done to the truck ? lift ? bigger tires ?

3. May 25, 2015 at 9:35 AM
    SpeedoJosh

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Mileage is 120K. Only modification in 265's A/Ts.
    The hesitation in the diagnosis is there are 100s with same issue and known fix. So I'd rather not pay the dealer $120 to tell me there isn't a fix for the 2005-2011 tacomas like the 2012+, other then running higher octane fuel.

4. May 25, 2015 at 9:45 AM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    when was last tune up ? spark plugs , throttle body cleaning ? transmission relearn ?

5. May 25, 2015 at 9:48 AM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    There would be a new software file for your specific configuration of truck, which will replace all previous versions.

Does your 2010 already have the short gas pedal and the brake override? (if unsure, take it for a drive, apply the brakes lightly after full throttle - it should smoothly return to idle). I can't recall if the factory made the changes in 2010 MY, or 2011 MY.

If you do have the brake override software, you will have to pay out of pocket for the reflash. If you don't, go in for the recall, you'll get it free. As for their diagnostic charge, I'd politely but firmly request that they reflash with the newest software only. Get a price up front. If given the run-around from the service writer, ask to speak to the service manager and explain what you would like done. If any trouble beyond that, go to another dealer. It shouldn't be a difficult process.

Keep in mind that they won't guarantee a fix from the reflash, and you shouldn't expect one. Make them aware of that if you're willing to take the risk.

Check the transmission fluid level, either yourself with the DIY on here, or have your dealer do it. Lots of shifting issues from under-filled transmissions from the factory out there too.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
    patbegley likes this.
  6. May 25, 2015 at 10:49 AM
    SpeedoJosh

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    As far as last tune-up, it'd be when recommended by dealer. Truck has been taken in every 5k and followed the recommended service intervals. I'll check the records for a more precise answer on that.

Landfill, after talking with a tech, he said I could just request a reflash, which is $60ish I believe. Does the reflash for the 2010 have the same thing on it that the 2012+ have for the spark knock though is what I can't figure out.

Fluid level should be good as I had the dealer service the transmission 10k ago. Where they drain and refill just what's in the pan. I'd hope they made sure level was correct at that point.

7. May 25, 2015 at 11:21 AM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    the reason i mentioned a tune up is because its the most common problem associated with your complàint . look for spark plug replacement in your service records . chances are the plugs have never been done . chances are the throttle body has never been serviced . its common for dealers indicating they have performed a service only to find out later it was never done yet they have no problèms charginģ you .
    Edit : I have also been waiting for a re-flash similar to what the 2012 and up received . To this day , I do not believe there is a re-flash available that compensates for your complaints . This is why a tune up is so important for the 2011 and older

Last edited: May 25, 2015
    SpeedoJosh[OP] likes this.
  8. May 25, 2015 at 9:07 PM
    SpeedoJosh

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Gear, I'll look into it.
    Is there a recommended plug type I should get?

9. May 25, 2015 at 9:36 PM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
    ^^^
    THIS

Goes on all of the time. Too easy for them to get away with.

10. May 26, 2015 at 2:03 AM
    jmich2001

jmich2001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Toms River, NJ
    Vehicle:
    12 Access Cab TRD OR
    Yellow Fog Lamps, Ham Radio
    OEM Denso's are the preferred plug.

11. May 26, 2015 at 8:02 AM
    volks71folk

volks71folk Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have the same problems you are having with my 2010 with 38,000 miles. Ugg....

12. May 26, 2015 at 10:43 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    You hope they check level correctly but they may have or may have not.

Products Discussed in

To Top