1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

any tricks or secrets installing ARB bumper 2014 Dbl cab

Discussion in 'Armor' started by yort, May 22, 2018.

1. May 22, 2018 at 6:28 PM
    yort

yort [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Troy
    Spokane, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB
    OME suspension (front & back), ARB front bumper w/ Smittybuilt 10k winch, ARB fog lights, KC drive lights, 235/85/16 K02 tires, ARB front & rear lockers, RCI sliders, seat covers (front & back), Weathertech liner, aluminum seat spacers (A MUST HAVE)
    Hello,
    I just bought the ARB deluxe bumper today and will be picking it up tomorrow and installing it on Saturday. I’ve watched videos, researched forums, spoke with the Shea’s person, etc..

Just would like to put out feelers for any advice, tricks, secrets on the install. Additionally, I purchased a Smittybuilt X20- 10k winch to install along with a full OME suspension, new Uni-Ball upper arms and tires. Got my work cut out for the weekend.

Thanks in advance for any advice, dos and donuts, secrets and tips.

2. May 22, 2018 at 6:40 PM
    vssman

vssman Rocket Engineer

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Naugatuck, CT
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 double cab
    I cut the plastic bumper a bit long to make sure there wasn't any gaps. You'll need help placing the bumper on the brackets with the winch installed. Also, I used a few small pieces of wood abou 3/4" thick to act as a spacer between the bumper and the fender. Other than that, it's pretty straight forward.

3. May 22, 2018 at 7:58 PM
    yort

yort [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Troy
    Spokane, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB
    OME suspension (front & back), ARB front bumper w/ Smittybuilt 10k winch, ARB fog lights, KC drive lights, 235/85/16 K02 tires, ARB front & rear lockers, RCI sliders, seat covers (front & back), Weathertech liner, aluminum seat spacers (A MUST HAVE)
    Thanks VSSMAN~
    I’ve read lots of the forums and recall to cut the number 1 ¼” longer then the ARB install manual says to. The wood spacers is a great idea for even seems throughout. I’ve got my right hand man lined up to help with the entire install.
    Thanks again for the tips

vssman likes this.
  4. May 25, 2018 at 9:24 AM
    BrackAttack

BrackAttack Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCSB 4x4
    All hardware comes in one large bag- Separate it all FIRST

Make sure the two lower tabs that mount to the underside of the frame on the MAIN LARGE FRAME BRACKET are correctly angled to in order that they will mount flush. Mine were too acute and I had to remove the entire bracket in order to bend them in place.

When installing the actual bumper to the frame bracket use a chain/rope thrown over a tree branch or something similar in order to keep it elevated. It's quite heavy.

Also, cut the original bumper long like the user above mentioned. I used a rotozip which ate through it way too FAST. A sawzall with plastic blade would be much better suited for precision.

Take your time, don't get in a hurry. Be attentive. It took me 16 hours over the course of a Saturday and Sunday. The removal and re-installation of the main bracket took an additional 1.5 hours. Additionally, if you organize all the hardware beforehand you could shave another 1 or so off the time.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  5. May 25, 2018 at 5:51 PM
    yort

yort [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Troy
    Spokane, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB
    Thank you BrackAttack- those are hints and idea are well appreciated.

6. May 26, 2018 at 8:52 AM
    BrackAttack

BrackAttack Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCSB 4x4
    In regards to the UCA.

The main bolt on the UCA is a pain in the arse. Everything I read said to bend the wheel well in order to get the Bolt out. However, that didn't work for me and I ended up having to cut the metal in order to make room for the bolt head to have clearance. When you go to install the new UCA it is perfectly acceptable to install it in reverse.

Make sure you install the zerk fittings facing outward. Also, don't over grease the bushings!!

For future reference Triflow lubricant works very GREAT to keep the uniballs lubricated. Goes on wet, dries dry. Got mine on Amazon.

7. May 26, 2018 at 6:48 PM
    yort

yort [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Troy
    Spokane, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB
    Awesome, thanks. The UCA on the drivers side was a pain. It took way to long to do. The passenger side 15 minuets with the new strut. Tomorrow tackling the bumper. Thanks for the line tip on the UCA. Any recommendations how oten to grease them?
    Thanks again, I appreciate the feed back
    Troy

8. Aug 16, 2018 at 8:58 AM
    fatfurious2

fatfurious2 IG: great_white_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Ashburn, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access Cab
    @inesshell

inesshell likes this.
  9. Aug 16, 2018 at 9:23 AM
    Louisd75

Louisd75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Washington
    Vehicle:
    '02 Xtra Cab, '15 DCSB
    20180806_152516.jpg
    All of the above, and an engine hoist makes things much easier. You should have a local shop that rents them. If you're installing a winch do it before you install the bumper. With a winch installed the two mounts (where I lifted the bumper from in the pic) are very close to the center of gravity and the bumper will sit level.

The instruction book can be downloaded from ARB with color pictures.

The little plastic covers that you're supposed to remove to bolt through are rectangular and set back aft a bit, they're not the ones near the forward end of the frame rail.

When you wire the turn signal and DTRL (the white part of the turn signal) be advised that the wiring colors don't match what is on the truck.

A 90° drill attachment and a short drill bit will make the four holes easier to drill. They're also easier if you wait to put the fog and signal assemblies in til last. I did that part backwards, if I were doing it again I'd put the bumper on, mount the fogs on the fog surround, install the fog surround onto the bumper, then install the signal last. That will give you the best access to all the screws and clips.

10. Sep 1, 2020 at 7:26 AM
    ardrummer292

ardrummer292 500k or bust

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB V6 A/T 4x4 1D6
    Overbuilt daily driver
    Reviving a dead thread. @Louisd75 (or anyone else), do you know which wires are the correct wires to hook up to for the turn signal indicators and clearance/parking lights? Do they match what the instructions say, or is there some deviation?

11. Sep 1, 2020 at 8:40 PM
    Louisd75

Louisd75 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Washington
    Vehicle:
    '02 Xtra Cab, '15 DCSB
    Hi Austin, I don't recall anything peculiar about wiring it up but it's been a while since I messed with them. I want to say that they were plug and play on the 2nd gen but I really can't remember (nope, read edit below). I can check for you if you can wait a few weeks, I'm a couple thousand miles from my truck at the moment.

Edit to change my comment... I just reread my previous post and apparently they weren't plug and play, but I don't recall what colors I wound up connecting to what.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    ardrummer292[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Sep 2, 2020 at 2:29 AM
    ardrummer292

ardrummer292 500k or bust

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB V6 A/T 4x4 1D6
    Overbuilt daily driver
    I plucked this from the relevant installation manual:

wiring.jpg

Does this seem about right? Or is the manual incorrect?

Products Discussed in

To Top