1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anybody know anything about Mattresses?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by kris77, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Feb 8, 2012 at 7:26 AM
    kris77

kris77 [OP] Born in the Backwoods

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    In channel Vent Visors, AVS Bug Shield, Hankook Dynapro RF10 265/70/17
    So the temper pedic is the mattress of choice here.

We liked a restonic pillow top. But it was almost $1800. I could get a temper pedic for that. And they seem to be the most trusted mattress around.

2. Feb 8, 2012 at 7:29 AM
    Tenzing

Tenzing Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    The Northeast
    Vehicle:
    95 Manual Xtracab 4x4 Taco
    Awesome Skull Cigarette Lighter
    OK, so full disclosure, I work for a memory foam mattress distributor, and we sell a few types of mattresses including Tempur

Old memory foam does sleep hot, and it generally sinks a bit, leaving the classic "hand print" However, there are new advances in the foam technology that eliminate this problem. One of these is gel-technology.

Gel is infusing the foam with gel beads to open the foam, allowing more air to circulate through it. It started with Sleep Innovations/Novaform (the guys in Costco) and people have been playing catch up ever since. Tempur still hasn't caught on, so if you don't mind sleeping warm, Tempur still makes the best high end MF mattress, but it does sleep hot (uncomfortably so for me personally)

I sleep on a 12-inch Gel MF from Novaform/Sleep Innovations. The queen sized was 600 bucks or so and I bought it, even though I get a pretty good employee deal on Tempur.

Edit: This is the mattress I bought, I think they also sell it on Amazon, i could track that down if people were interested. It's about a third of the cost of a Tempur Cloud, and IMO better because it doesn't sleep hot.

If anyone has any memory foam questions or mattress/topper/pillow questions, ask away! I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, but I do do this for a living.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...=8&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

3. Feb 8, 2012 at 7:41 AM
    kris77

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
  4. Feb 8, 2012 at 7:41 AM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.

I hated the temper pedic, maybe I am not old enough and rickety enough yet, but I hated it (I also like to sleep on my stomach and not on my side). However, I would say try it, they have their money back guarantee, try it and give it back. My mom loved hers, we hated ours.

5. Feb 8, 2012 at 7:50 AM
    Killer

Killer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Al.
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 TRD V6 3.4L SR5 XCab Gold with Tan Int
    19,000 Original Miles, Factory Alarm, Factory Tow Package, Low Profile UWS Black Tool Box, 20ft. of Dynamat Xtreme, Pioneer Double Din DVD 3200BT, IPod Holder, Q Form Kick Panels, 3 Pairs of MB Quart component speakers, JL Audio Stealthbox, Alpine PDX-5 amp, PIAA Foglights, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Maxxis Big Horn Mud Tires 32 x 11.5 R x 15, Wet Okole Seat Cover for 60/40 Bench, 5100's Front & Rear, Wheeler's Single Leaf AAL, Warn 8,000 Winch, Warn Transformer Brush Guard, Stebel Nautilus Compact Horn
    I have owned both a Tempurpedic and a Sleep Number.

I liked the Sleep Number bed more because it was cooler and adjustable. My soon to be ex-wife didn't like it because when I rolled over to her side it would get hard. There is also the divider in the middle that is a little hard on the dual chamber mattresses. We had the Sleep Number for about 10 years.

So about 6 years ago, we got a top of the line Tempurpedic. I like the Tempurpedic but, not as much as the Sleep Number. The Tempurpedic is hotter, a little harder and heavy as hell. She liked the Tempurpedic more though.

To save a lot money, I would try one of the Gel filled beds that Tenzing suggested before I bought any of them.

One last thing after back problems in my 20's, I will always buy the most comfortable bed or shoes, no matter what they cost or look like. I now hardly have any back pains.

6. Feb 8, 2012 at 8:19 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Before buying anything.... do some research and read reviews online, especially about the wear & tear of each mattress, how long they last, problems they develop over time, etc.

This might help you narrow it down.

Our Simmons has developed a ridge or gulley in it after 5+ years (can't remember).... and unfortunately, I did not see this feedback when we bought it. Perhaps it was a 'new' mattress and didn't have the history for that kind of feedback back then.

But I was wondering....Can these (Simmons Beautyrest) be rotated 180 degrees? Simmons claims you never need to, but.....apparently you might.

God, I really miss that waterbed right about now!!! I slept like a baby in that thing!!

7. Feb 8, 2012 at 8:31 AM
    kris77

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    We were actually looking at a simmons. Then i read some really bad things about them...Most were exactly what you are saying too.

So that seems to be a common problem with those beds.

8. Feb 8, 2012 at 8:33 AM
    Killer

Killer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Al.
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 TRD V6 3.4L SR5 XCab Gold with Tan Int
    19,000 Original Miles, Factory Alarm, Factory Tow Package, Low Profile UWS Black Tool Box, 20ft. of Dynamat Xtreme, Pioneer Double Din DVD 3200BT, IPod Holder, Q Form Kick Panels, 3 Pairs of MB Quart component speakers, JL Audio Stealthbox, Alpine PDX-5 amp, PIAA Foglights, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Maxxis Big Horn Mud Tires 32 x 11.5 R x 15, Wet Okole Seat Cover for 60/40 Bench, 5100's Front & Rear, Wheeler's Single Leaf AAL, Warn 8,000 Winch, Warn Transformer Brush Guard, Stebel Nautilus Compact Horn
    INMO, they are still better than the beds that have springs. The springs really start to sag after a few years.

9. Feb 8, 2012 at 8:36 AM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    I've heard great things about the sleep number too. they do make a Sleep Number now with the memory foam, similar to temperpedic.

10. Feb 8, 2012 at 8:43 AM
    Loudpedal

Loudpedal Mind = Blown

Member:
    First Name:
    Blair
    Not really New, not really Mexico
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5-Hole 4x4
    Andres Devil Horns, Goodyear Duratracs, Accidental Tailgate Delete (x2), Billy 5100s, OME 881 coils, Wheeler's 5-leafs, BAMF Sliders with kickouts, Box Rocket Fab Bedrack.
    We have a tepurpedic and it's fantastic. Coworker had a sleep number and they had a lot of problems with leaks and the air pump going out.

Check this site, more information than you could possibly absorb.

http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/index.html

11. Apr 19, 2013 at 5:32 PM
    nathan3306

nathan3306 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Charleston AFB, SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 DC 4X4
    Old thread but I want to give my opinion for future reference.
    Shopped around and bought a serta I-comfort insight. It seemed to be the right blend of hard/soft for my spouse and I.
    I couldn't really get too comfortable on it in store but the sales person said it would take a couple of weeks to get used to. Made sense to me so I bought it with their 120 day in home trial and 20 year warranty.

Turns out after about a month of giving this mattress all the chances in the world, my back could no longer take the pain. Called up the store I bought it from and told them the situation. The told me it would be something along the lines of a 300 dollar restocking fee and I would have to pay for it to be delivered back to their store or I could still pay the shipping and get some store credit towards another shitty serta mattress.

Called Serta customer service and told them the whole situation. They pretty much said their hands were tied and there was nothing they could do. I could have a warranty man come out for a small fee of 90 bucks to take a look at it. I then proceeded to tell them to get F#@&%

So we began shopping (make this short and sweet)
    SLeep Number store in the mall. Tried out the C3 model. HUGE DIFFERENCE in the POS beds I've tried before!! It actually fit to your body and if you didn't like how it felt you could ADJUST IT, not be stuck with it. I was sold on it. Bought the C2(bottom of the line sleep number)
    Liked it but problems, common problems customers complain about on reviews.
    I was a 45 and wife 35. I would roll towards her side because her bed was lower. It also felt like an air mattress, too much like an air mattress. Couldn't get comfortable between 40 and 45.

I explained everything to customer support and he immediately told me this would not be a problem. They sent me out a mattress pad (same one in a C4) and 2 foam pads that would aid in raising my wife's side of the bed up all free of charge. He then apologized for our inconvenience and extended our 30 day risk free trial and additional 30 days to make sure we would be 100 % happy with the mattress.

I could not be happier with this purchase. Great customer service and a great product so far!! Feel free to ask me any questions about it because I love telling people about it!

12. Apr 19, 2013 at 8:49 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    i am also looking to buy a new mattress...

...so far, from what i've learned going around to stores is that a lot of the claims of being too hot are from memory foam that is imported from china, etc...

...also, i've been told that memory foam can settle a little bit over the years, so there may be a slight change in firmness over time... i've been told that the latex mattresses are more resilient to this...

...the latex mattresses tend to be cooler... memory foam w/ gel layers also are supposed to be cooler...

...from the one's i've layed in at the stores, so far i have a particular latex mattress that i've liked the best, ...i'm leaning toward that...

13. Apr 19, 2013 at 9:09 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Memory foam. Best mattress I've ever slept on. And I have a bad back.

14. Apr 20, 2013 at 4:56 AM
    nathan3306

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Charleston AFB, SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 DC 4X4
    Do yourself a favor and at least try a sleep number before you buy.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  15. Apr 20, 2013 at 5:04 AM
    nathan3306

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Charleston AFB, SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 DC 4X4
  16. Apr 20, 2013 at 5:22 AM
    HIst8ofMIND

HIst8ofMIND Defend Hawaii

Member:
    First Name:
    PJ
    Maui
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB TRD-OR
    Heavenly Bed.

17. Apr 20, 2013 at 5:30 AM
    slcsez2000

slcsez2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids
    Comfort Dreams Select-A-Firmness 14in from overstock...don't fall into the marketing of the name brands. I bought this one about 3 years ago in the "soft" firmness and haven't had a back ache sense from sleeping. My fiance and I love it and even though the price has gone up to $649 (I think we paid about $200 less) it is still worth it. Read all 450 reviews and decide for yourself!
    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...ize-Memory-Foam-Mattress/3437535/product.html

18. Apr 20, 2013 at 9:10 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    i was going to, but the one in my AO had a gunbuster sign on the door, ...so my business is going to one of the many other stores who don't discriminate ;)

19. Apr 20, 2013 at 9:15 PM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    The wise man invests in a comfortable sleeping couch.

Products Discussed in

To Top