1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

anyone add the OEM roof rack after buying?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ckeeton, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Apr 18, 2011 at 4:34 PM
    ckeeton

ckeeton [OP] Bazinga

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Trd Sport Gray
    trd sport with avid off road light bar, avid rock sliders. OEM roof rack, 12' LED light bar, and Sock monkey decals.
    she just didnt think im capable of doing it without messing up the roof haha.
    but oh well, its on and im happy with it.

and eh she didnt really care to much about the sky diving, i have jumped to many times for her to care anymore

2. Apr 18, 2011 at 7:41 PM
    Tricky

Tricky Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmetto, Fl
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DC
    Anytime Fog Lights Bakflip HD Billstein 5100's Blacked Out Scoop Debadged FJ62 TOYOTA Smile Grillcraft Upper & Lower K&N Intake Magnaflow Cat-Back OEM Roof Rack Pioneer Speaker Upgrade Redline Hood Struts Slimcubby's HIDs Toytec 1.5 AAL
    If you can change your oil, you can install an oem rack. Seemingly impossible to mess up if you can read, and probably real difficult to even for the illiterate.

3. Dec 23, 2011 at 3:36 PM
    FTB530

FTB530 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yuba City Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2005 toyota tacoma
    level kit,air raid intake,
    Does any one have any pictures of any thing mounted on these OEM racks,you know like a kayak or some bicycles?

4. Jul 2, 2012 at 12:42 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

kyleTRDtaco12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Base DCSB 4x4 V6 6MT (202)
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    im getting one of these very soon, how difficult is it to take off the existing roof channels?? and im still slightly confused on how to do that without breaking them lol, does that existing channel go back while installing?? or is there another piece that goes in place of it?? thanks, id really appreciate the help, thank you!

5. Jul 2, 2012 at 12:46 PM
    mountainprimat2

mountainprimat2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefan
    Proctorsville, VT
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD Off-Road 6spd man
    Eibach Pro 2.5 CoilOvers(Front), Icon RXT 2.5 (Rears), Toytec Bumps, ICON RXT Multi-Rate Leaf Spring, Icon UCAs, Toytec Carrier Bearing drop, Toytec Front Diff drop, 33inch BFG KO2s on 17'' American Racing Wheels, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust, TRD CAI, Grillcraft Grilles(U/L), MOT's Badge Grille Mod (Red), Black Bed Lined Rear Bumper, Bushwacker Pocket Style Fender Flares, OEM Roof Rack, Husky Floor Liners, TRD 6spd Shifter Knob, Cobra CB w/ Firestick II, Interior LED Map(RED)/Dome(WHITE) Lights, LED Licence Plate Lights, LED Amber Fogs, Plasti Dip Badges, Trailer Harness Relocate, Thule Tail Gate Pad + Bed Rack, LEER Bed Cap
    sounds like a stealership to me

6. Jul 2, 2012 at 2:02 PM
    speedjunkie13

speedjunkie13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    a work in progress
    start at the rear of the roof and just peal it up. the very rear will have some double sided tape and then 2 clips on the top of the roof, one in the rear and one in the front. just pull the strip, nothing will break.

After you get the strips off, just install the rack per the instructions. it's very easy. As for the clips, it says to break them, i disagree. there is no reason to break them they wont be in the way. just leave them and put the rack on. The 2 strips you take off will stay off. that area is filled by the rack.

7. Jul 8, 2012 at 12:10 AM
    sonocotaco

sonocotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Rohnert Park
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport AC 4x4 Super White
    Will torx screwdrivers be enough for this install?

8. Jul 9, 2012 at 7:19 AM
    speedjunkie13

speedjunkie13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    a work in progress
    If that's all you have, then yes. I would prefer to use something that can attach to a ratchet though, because I would want to get them a little tighter than is possible with a screwdriver handle.

9. Jul 9, 2012 at 6:46 PM
    sonocotaco

sonocotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Rohnert Park
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport AC 4x4 Super White
    Thanks. Yeah I just hand tightened them with the screwdriver for fear of over-tightening. But the front brackets you put on first, I tightened them down until the rubber washers were flattened which I hope isn't too much. Off to the pressure washer to check for leaks!

10. Jul 9, 2012 at 8:32 PM
    Molon Labe

Molon Labe Never LBS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Snellville
    Vehicle:
    2012 Spruce Mica DC TRD 4x4 Auto V6
    see my build
    well i am jumping into this late in the game. too tired to read everything so here it is. the OEM roof rack is for dc only. the install is very easy and it will come with instructions but if you did not gat them, you can google "toyota tacoma oem roof rack installation pdf and you will be able to download the instructions. it list what size torx heads you need (2 sizes) and even tells you the torq ponds for each bolt. I sold min to a member here and it took me all of 30 min to remove them and install them on his truck.
    I have seen them sell or just over 200 before shipping. i have no idea what your dealership was talking about drilling and headliner removal? on that note, most dealerships outsource installation of add on items like roof rack and step tubes, most of wich you can do yourself. good luck

11. Oct 9, 2012 at 7:49 AM
    WVTacoma08

WVTacoma08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRD PRO Super White
    Thanks for the quick break-down. I'm seriously thinking of getting one. See them for around $202 + $3 to ship. Sounds like a good weekend mod to try soon

12. Oct 9, 2012 at 7:53 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    Went with the 78" bars so I can put my canoe and stand up paddleboards side-by-side on the rack. The bar ends are pretty much even with the mirrors. Overall I like the facotry rack much better. I dont run arround with the 78" bars on there. I also believe my gas mileage has gone up slightly without all the yakima stuff up there 24/7.
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top