1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone carry a gun in their taco?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by benjammin5150, Jun 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 14, 2013 at 7:06 PM
    Germ

Germ Master Navigator/Zipper Operator

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR DCSB
  2. Jun 14, 2013 at 7:17 PM
    Zarcero

Zarcero Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    Speaking of .22, that crap M-16 we carried was nothing but a glorified .22 cal. I always thought we should have adopted the G-3 NATO Battle Rifle, or just kept the M-14. That shit-ass M-16 was designed to be a "humanitarian" weapon. What a joke!

3. Jun 14, 2013 at 7:20 PM
    EF

EF Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Off Road Blue Ribbon
    Wow, those Weathertechs are taking a beat down and doing the dirty work. They should be in an ad!

Has anyone ever had a need to quickly unholster and show the weapon from the truck?

Non LEO scenorios are what I mean.

4. Jun 14, 2013 at 7:22 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    . . . Sub'd

5. Jun 14, 2013 at 7:23 PM
    Rainman998

Rainman998 Well-Known Member

Member:
    "The QC" AZ
    Vehicle:
    SEXY 2010 Double Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Waiting for my sugar mama to hook it up
    I just carry mine on me lol. Go HR218

6. Jun 14, 2013 at 7:23 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    The m16 was designed to burden the enemys medical system.

7. Jun 14, 2013 at 7:25 PM
    Germ

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR DCSB
    HAHA that they are. They are clean compared to what they will look like after monsoon season. I'm out in the boonies so aside from an LED bar to spot the Elk, Weathertechs have been the best investment.

The only time I've upholstered was on my property to blast a rattler.

8. Jun 14, 2013 at 7:29 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    The seats looks so clean.... weird...

9. Jun 14, 2013 at 7:32 PM
    Germ

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR DCSB
    They've got a fine layer of dust as does everything else. The dirt on the floor is just crap that's stuck to my feet from getting in and out. The sand is very fine so it's easily picked up by shoes.

10. Jun 14, 2013 at 7:34 PM
    Zarcero

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    Yeah, Charlie had a great "medical system" to bring down. LMAO!

The "medical system" retort/excuse came out later. The original intent of the M-16, and it was hailed as such, was to be a "humanitarian" rifle. "Oh! Let's not actually kill the bad guys." We started early with the "Hearts & Minds" bullshit. Eh? It's like deja vu all over again.

Well at least the M-16 is lighter than the M-14. I am sure Debbie Moore or the first Airborne Rangerette won't have any trouble carrying it :rolleyes:

11. Jun 14, 2013 at 7:37 PM
    Moco

Moco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    96 Regular Cab 4x4 5spd
    Jesus Christ, crawl back into your hole.

Why did the Soviets switch from 7.62x39 to 5.45x39 if our .223 is such a puny cartridge?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  12. Jun 14, 2013 at 7:41 PM
    Zarcero

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    No. So now you are supporting small rounds? Thought from your statements upthread you were a big round man.

I wouldn't exactly be taking my lead from the Soviet Union. It's not like they have a record of excellence. In fact last I heard they weren't even a country anymore ;)

13. Jun 14, 2013 at 7:47 PM
    Dave333

Dave333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Loganville
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD long bed dbl cab
    Borla Exhaust, D/T LT, TRD CAI, Hella Rallye 4000, ARB, M/T Sidebiters 16", 265/75/16, Stubbs HD SKO Sliders, OME 3" lift with 886, Dakar Rear leafs, Satoshi
    1) I think its crazy to point out on this forum if you carry in your vehicle and where. That's like saying, "I have a gun safe in my house and here's the location." Some of these mounts look cool until you get pulled over and the cop has you lying face down in the pavement, or you get into a wreck and don't know where the weapon ended up. On your person is usually the best place.

2) The M4 works. 5.56 is a capable round and has stopped many individuals. One of the main reasons we chose that round was it's capabilities to tumble through the body at a proper effective range, it is lightweight which enables more rounds to be carried by the individual soldier and due to marksmanship declining after WW2. Are there superior rounds out there, of course. Do you want to carry magazines of 7.62, 5.6 or another heavy round along with body armor and everything else...not really. At least I don't. I carried 8 magazines of 5.56 plus the one on the weapon, so I had 270 rounds on me. Then 9mm had 3 mags and one on the weapon, so 60 rounds. With a 10 man ODA who exceed in marksmanship, that's a pretty mean fire team to come across. None of us ever carried anything else and we were given the option. I live by carry what you can shoot effectively. I carry 9 mm more than .45. My groups are tighter with a 9mm and ammo count is greater. I shoot both rounds alot, just prefer the 9mm more. That's just me. It's worked so far. To each his own.

Just my .02 but what do I know...I could be totally wrong.

14. Jun 14, 2013 at 7:55 PM
    ProForce

ProForce IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    Agreed!! The whole point of CCW is for people NOT to know you carry. This thread makes me laugh, especially peoples outrageous methods of carrying in their vehicle. This is why all my posts of my gun in my car were clearly a joke like the tactical thigh holster lol. Clearly this isn't how I carry in my truck hahaha. I think the majority of people in this thread should retake their ccw class. And yes as I stated already as well, on your person is the safest and best way to carry in your vehicle for ccw.

15. Jun 14, 2013 at 8:01 PM
    Moco

Moco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    96 Regular Cab 4x4 5spd
    Are you serious? You mean you dont understand the difference between a .22LR and .223?

The .223 comes out of the muzzle at approx 3000 fps and transfer a ton of velocity into the target. Out of a 20 in barrell it is frightening accurate up to 500M. I can teach a grandmother to hit a man size target at 500 yds with open sights on a calm clear day with an M16A2.

The M4 loses a certain bit of range due to the shorter barrell. But the actual round itself is a terrific round for what its intended to do - high velocity target strikes. Within near ranges <200M, .223 is a ferocious round - very tramatic tissue damage.

Granted, an M4, gives up some long distance capability in comparison to an M14. But the M16A2/A4 is a better rifle than the M14 of yesteryear - lighter, higher rate of fire, more magazine capacity.

We're not taking the lead from them, they copied us, when they saw the devastating impacts on the corpses of VC and NVA in the 60's and 70's. If you cared to research it, the Mujeheddin in the 80's really feared the round out of AK74. The devastating wounds suffered from it, were hard to treat in the field and very lethal. A captured AK74 was highly valued.

16. Jun 14, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    Moco

Moco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    96 Regular Cab 4x4 5spd
    Thats nice that you have an opinion.

Unfortunately, unlike the rest of us in Free America, the slaves in your People's Republic arent allowed to CCW in most counties. You seem to enjoy the the privileges granted by the Commissars in LA County and the Apparatchiks they serve in Sacramento.

Before you worry about us, why not train your brother LEOs in SoCal so they can avoid clusterfucks like this:

[​IMG]

17. Jun 14, 2013 at 8:08 PM
    Zarcero

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    Thanks for the reply. Someone who knows how to "discuss." Nice to see. Yes, I have to agree about the open carry in the car. I'm not sure what the laws are in the jurisdiction in question. Here in Texas one had better not do that. The concealed weapon is to be concealed, and one should avoid being "printed" as well. One should avoid being in a situation where a civilian makes a 911 call yelling "man with a gun!" That call could have the cops surrounding you in no time at all. Good CHL training will include training in how to keep you from even getting in a situation where you have to draw, but when you do draw make it effective.

Of course the 5.56 is a capable round. A .22LR has also felled many, which the main reason I took this discussion this way, just to make the point that bigger is not always better. Personally I do not carry a .22LR pistol.

The tumbling of the 5.56 was not by design, it was an accident of design that was discovered later in the M-16. The light weight of the round and the carbine itself is indeed a good thing just like you say. What you say about the marksmanship decline since WW2, I think is generally agreed upon. I am not sure if that's a function of our military, our just our urbanization. Young boys don't hunt as much as they did even when I was a youth. I think you are correct in that carrry what you can shoot effectively. So for your squad the M4 may be right. But you probably know, or have heard, that some M-14 rifles are finding their way back into theater. I do not agree that there should be only one rifle in a soldier's inventory.

18. Jun 14, 2013 at 8:09 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Because when you burden the medical system operations are reduced. Also the with the extent of the injuries and disfigurement that the 5.56 produces without killing is demoralizing and reduces the will to fight.

19. Jun 14, 2013 at 8:18 PM
    ProForce

ProForce IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    Lol. I'm not a LEO first off, not sure where you got that idea. Fancy holsters dont imply cop. Even if I was a LEO, I wouldn't "train" others to avoid clusterfucks like that because just like them, I'm not perfect. None of us are. Not every cop is perfect, and unless you were standing there when that happened with the gun in your hand and adrenaline rushing and you had to make that decision, then you shouldn't comment on it. They may or may not have been justified, but that's not for you or me to decide. Besides, that is completely unrelated to this thread or your comment, which made no sense either. So on that note, you can take your hating somewhere else. I didn't put you on blast so idk why you did to me. Just like you, I am entitled to an opinion, so until my opinion involves you specifically, you can mind your own. Thanks

20. Jun 14, 2013 at 8:28 PM
    Moco

Moco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    96 Regular Cab 4x4 5spd
    BS.

LEO in CONUS operate with (much) more permissive ROE than Joe's and Marines in AFG. If a rifle squad had lit up an Afghan bongo truck the way these idiots lit up a Tacoma with 2 ladies inside when they were looking for a TITAN with a black man inside, the CO, PLT SGT, and SQD LDR wouldve been immediately relieved and likely charged.

I've been that Marine at the end of the buttstock having to make that decision. The most basic level of training and common sense (know what your target is and what's behind it) with a dab of situational awareness have led to the right result in those situations. I don give a shit if the LEO were scared, everyone's scared when its real life.

I refuse to accept that its OK that some goatfucker in a 3rd world shithole has more protections against use of force by U.S. .mil that a U.S. citizen in the U.S. has protections from their local LEO.

So until LEO can quit lighting people up with dubious justification and quit negligently discharging rounds left and right, I dont want to hear about Joe Sixpack needing remedial CCW classes - given that Joe Sixpack CCW probably makes it out to the range more often than the average LEO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top