1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone experiencing issues w/ playback speed over Bluetooth Audio on Entune units?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by bunmango, May 4, 2017.

1. May 4, 2017 at 11:06 AM
    bunmango

bunmango [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi all,

First time poster - I actually don't have a Tacoma, but a (2017) Sienna. I've posted about this problem on various other Toyota forums across the Interwebs, and am wondering if the TW community has run into it as well.

Whenever I start the van, the audio starts automatically playing from my iPhone (which is expected since it's paired via Bluetooth with my Entune unit.) However, the audio playback is super fast - at least 2-3x normal playback speed, as seen in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLFP3SSQNNo

It happens with all apps using Bluetooth audio - I've replicated this with Spotify, NPR One, and Google Maps. Disabling Bluetooth and re-enabling it on my phone to let it reconnect addresses the problem, but it returns the next time I shut off the vehicle and start things back up.

Has any one else experienced this problem? This is on an iPhone 7 running iOS 10.2.1. Using my Google-fu I found two others having the problem who posted on the Spotify forums, but no resolution.

2. May 4, 2017 at 12:22 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Try a different phone.. Not the same as yours.
    Just because it pairs with it doesn't mean the software, phone, radio are compatible.
    I had one simular and it was the phone.
    If it's the same with another phone then it could be software or the radio itself. I don't remember seeing a update yet but that doesn't means there isn't one or one is coming out. Talk to the dealer and see about that if using another phone does not change the situation. Good luck.

3. May 4, 2017 at 12:44 PM
    bunmango

bunmango [OP] Member

Member:
    thanks for your response - my wife (who has an iPhone 6s) has the same problem as well... I probably should've included that in my original post :)

was hoping to avoid having to go back to the dealer...

4. May 4, 2017 at 12:49 PM
    TacoMacMD

TacoMacMD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mac
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma BBP Limited DCSB
    I had this exact same problem when I switch from Android to iPhone. It turns out that some Entune systems have bluetooth issues if multiple phones are paired. I removed the pairing of the old Android and the issue was resolved. Hope this helps.

5. May 4, 2017 at 1:09 PM
    angrysam

angrysam Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Somebody's Shit List
    Vehicle:
    2.9 Gen- Not a cunt.
    Fleshlight and an old Farrah Fawcett poster.
    Entune is a piece of shit. May be the single worst thing ever invented. It will be a miracle if I don't shoot my radio one of these days.

SC4333 likes this.
  6. May 4, 2017 at 1:22 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    These comment sound familure....

7. May 4, 2017 at 1:25 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Thats the same phone per say.
    Try a non iPhone .

8. May 4, 2017 at 1:44 PM
    angrysam

angrysam Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Somebody's Shit List
    Vehicle:
    2.9 Gen- Not a cunt.
    Haha- Hey you wouldn't know off the top of your head if there is an update for the Entune in my 3rd gen would you? Built 1/17. Phone doesn't always connect, Pandora doesn't work, doesn't receive texts anymore, just before it quit doing that it wouldn't read them for me.

Debating if it's worth making an appt or not.

9. May 4, 2017 at 1:55 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    I haven't done an update on a 3rd gen yet. Doesn't mean there isn't one.

If you called and gave them the radio number. Very small numbers around the faceplate area. Maybe they could look it up at some point during the day and call them back before closing. If they have time one of the writers could look it up. Not all radios have updates at any one time.
    After they see a few and know a radio has an update they can give that info right off the top of their head. Would save a trip in just to say no update.

angrysam[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. May 4, 2017 at 1:59 PM
    angrysam

angrysam Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Somebody's Shit List
    Vehicle:
    2.9 Gen- Not a cunt.
    Cool. Thanks, man.

11. May 7, 2017 at 8:41 PM
    bunmango

bunmango [OP] Member

Member:
    Alright, did a little experimenting based on both of your suggestions. I had to dig up my old Galaxy S3 - after years of iPhone use, it took me a while to figure out how to use Android again :p

Definitely something funky going on with having more than one phone paired with the Entune unit. Regardless of whether it's both iPhones, one iPhone and one S3, or what - the iPhone would always start with the increased playback speed.

However, I tried a few different times with the S3 and couldn't get it to behave the same way.

I'm going to play around with things a bit more, but we might be on to something that impacts only iPhones when multiple phones are paired with the Entune unit...

12. May 8, 2017 at 7:21 PM
    Snowtrooper17

Snowtrooper17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '17 White TRD OFFRD V6 4x4 ACLB
    I've had the same problem with my iPhone as well as my gf (same phone) running IOS 10.3.1 ever since I got the vehicle from the dealer.

13. May 9, 2017 at 5:44 AM
    bunmango

bunmango [OP] Member

Member:
    Have you tried unpairing one of your phones and leaving the other paired to see if the problem goes away?

14. May 9, 2017 at 9:34 AM
    Snowtrooper17

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    No, but I'll give it a try.

15. Jun 2, 2017 at 10:41 PM
    NordGord

NordGord New Member

Member:
    Calgary Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Tacoma TRD Sport Upgrade Auto
    Just wandering if anyone has found a solution yet? I also have the same issue with an iPhone 6. I picked up a 2017 Tacoma a week ago.

16. Jun 3, 2017 at 8:37 AM
    Snowtrooper17

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    My gf was out of town for the weekend and I unpaired her phone leaving mine as the only phone the system recognized and it worked flawlessly for those days. When she returned it still worked well for a bit but as soon as she paired her phone again with the system I found the playback to be messed up again within a day or so regardless of whether her phone was in the the car with mine.

17. Jun 8, 2017 at 7:02 PM
    bunmango

bunmango [OP] Member

Member:
    How many phones do you have paired?

18. Jun 9, 2017 at 9:45 AM
    NordGord

NordGord New Member

Member:
    Calgary Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Tacoma TRD Sport Upgrade Auto
    If I pair more then one phone it fails (fast playback and skips). The only way I can get it to work is to delete both phones and pair only one. With that, the messaging doesn't always work ( I have to toggle "show Notifications" on the bluetooth connection from my phone. I have tried both Android and Iphone

19. Jun 16, 2017 at 9:26 AM
    MNKSTER

MNKSTER Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TOYOTA TRD PRO 2017
    My 2017 tacoma does the exact same thing. Extremely annoying. I have not tried to unpair my spouses phone yet, will do that later today. But what has worked for me and is extremely inconvenient is disabling blue tooth from my phone then enabling it. It will begin to work just fine. An extra step but the skipping thing is extremely annoying. Sometimes I also may need to attempt to connect her phone, then when it cannot find it I just reconnect mine.

20. Feb 8, 2018 at 8:12 PM
    bunmango

bunmango [OP] Member

Member:
    Quick update to this issue - I showed the service advisor this problem during my 10k service back in December and he had a tech take a look. While the tech couldn't reproduce it, there was a software update available. The head unit was originally 010189 and the tech updated it to 01018D which seems to have fixed the problem. You can determine the current software version by navigating to Apps - Setup - General - Software Update - Audio

Products Discussed in

To Top