1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone flushed brakes with engine on?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by LVTacoma, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Feb 16, 2010 at 8:58 AM
    LVTacoma

LVTacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Did my brake flush yesterday on the Tacoma as I have done to any other car I've owned; hand pump kit, Valvoline ABS brake fluid. Did in usual correct order from furthest to closest etc etc.
    Anyway, after about four times of flushing all over again because the pedal would not firm up (slight bubbles non stop), I finally got frustrated and waited for the lady to get home to pump them with the truck on so the lines would be pressurized to help blow out the bubbles. Never heard anyone trying it with the ignition on, but it cleared those lines out on the first bleed on every valve. woot.
    Anyone else do it this way? Is it bad to with the truck started? Or is my brand new hand pump gun garbage as my roommate swears that they are all piles and a waste of 30 bucks. :confused:

2. Feb 16, 2010 at 9:23 AM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    you can put more pressure on it for sure.

3. Feb 16, 2010 at 9:30 AM
    kws129

kws129 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road Double Cab
    I'v ehad the hand pumps not work on occasion if the brake proportioning valve "flipped" to force all of the brake fluid to one set of brakes. Like it would do if you blew a brake line going down the road. I've had to start vechicles to utilize the vacuum booster to get enough pressure to equalize the proprotioning valve and get the brakes to bleed correctly.

The little vacuum guns are nice but they don't work all teh time. The old pump and bleed is pretty much fool proof.

4. Feb 16, 2010 at 9:35 AM
    LVTacoma

LVTacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yeah it was strange, I would do the rears, brakes would be stiff. then do one of the fronts and back to sponge. Bled the hell out of them with the hand pump with no avail. Will def be going old school brake bleed everytime from now on.... oh how I miss my aircooled VWs hahah

5. Feb 16, 2010 at 10:07 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    On all the cars I've done it on, ignition key was on (not running) and one person pumping the pedal and one person at the caliper. Never an issue doing it this way

Products Discussed in

To Top