1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone got a long term product report for the 4x innovations rear wrap around tubebumper for 1stgen?

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by ToyotaDriver, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Jan 7, 2020 at 7:27 AM
    ToyotaDriver

ToyotaDriver [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    ‘04 V6 5 Speed SR5 TRD downward spiraling project, ‘15 V6 6speed TRD daily
    The 1st Gen: All pro 3” lift (650 lbs coils, expedition rears with bilstiens),Timbren rear bumpstops, ubolt flip, diff drop, carrier bearing drop, 33’s on beadlocks ,ARB Bumper, winch, hand throttle, ARE canopy, roof bars, poly bushings all around minus the body mounts. The 2nd Gen: Leveling kit, roll up tonneau cover. 265/75/16’s
    Looking for a product report from someone who has had and has used and abused the 4x innovations rear wrap around tube bumper. I’m fairly set on this bumper at the moment, but am also looking at the relentless fab plate bumper. (I think I completely talked myself out of the relentless fab when I typed out the below list of pros and cons of each, but here they are from a pure internet research and halfway informed assumptions)

I’d be stoked to hear reviews of both of those products from people who have had them a while and have thrashed on them, slid all of the weight of their truck on them off a boulder, done recoveries with them and have modified them. Not interested in, I just put it on my mall crawler a couple of months ago and looks good. No offense, I just plan one thrashing on it!

My list of pros and cons for choosing the 4x innovations over the relentless at the moment are

4x innovations pros:

-Appears to be lighter weight, but probably just as strong. Trying to keep the truck as light as I can considering that I have a hard shell topper and a arb bull bar with steel rope winch. I also will add a tire/jerrycan carrier down the road to keep my bed open for sleeping with the dog and the gal. So, the lighter the bumper is, the better.

-They claim their 2” receiver is rated. I do tow from time to time, so this is important to me.

-wrap around “wings” are reinforced directly to the mounting points
    Good clearance!

-reasonable cost. $494 + shipping listed on the website

Cons:

-No recovery points incorporated into bumper. Probably not a huge deal, but would like to run a shackle somewhere other than centerline. I’d think you could just wrap a strap around the tube, but... ‍♂️

-No fixed highlift jacking points. Probably fine, but might be nice sometimes.

-No aux light mounts. Not a problem, but will have to weld some tabs on

-Looks pretty good, but not as good as the relentless fab!

-License plate placement is kind of ghetto in my opinion... will be able to relocate to tire carrier down the road, but I have a lot of projects that I want to have completed before I put a tire carrier on it.

Relentless fab pros:

-Looks F***in’ bad ass!

-Integrated recovery points

-Cut outs for flush mount lights

-Integrated hi lift jacking points

-Did I mention that it looks cool?

-Just a guess, but it looks like it’s probably the stronger of the two bumpers

Cons:

-Ex-pen-sive! $999

-Heavy - 130lbs

-Their tire carrier, should I choose to use their’s would be almost as expensive as the bumper in the configuration I would want.

Anyone have any input on the pros and cons of either, or if you have any wheeling experience with either, I’d love to hear about it!

2. Jan 7, 2020 at 7:33 AM
    Reh5108

Reh5108 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 4X4 2.7L Extra Cab
    OME lift, 4x sliders, Demello rear bumper, custom front bumper, Engo 9000lb winch
    ToyotaDriver[OP] likes this.
  3. Jan 7, 2020 at 10:10 AM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 TRD 4x4, '23 Bronco Wildtrak, 2017 HSQV FE350
    Drop bracket lift and booger welds
    Indeed I do and I have beat the fuck out of mine. It’s super stout, it does actually have integrated recovery points (though 5/8” shackles instead of 3/4”) and it’s still in great shape. Idk how heavy a plate bumper is but this one is still pretty heavy.

My only complaint so far is that it’s made so you can adjust it vertically and horizontally how it mounts. My problem has always been if I drop hard on a ledge, it will push it inwards and up, and the tailgate can’t open or will open and get dented. When I boxed the frame i tried to weld the one nut that usually was a movable nut in place to keep it from happening anymore but it still does, so I am still trying to work on a solution for that, but otherwise it’s stood up to anything I can throw at it including getting rear ended by a Dodge Ram.

4. Jan 7, 2020 at 10:31 AM
    ToyotaDriver

ToyotaDriver [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    ‘04 V6 5 Speed SR5 TRD downward spiraling project, ‘15 V6 6speed TRD daily
    The 1st Gen: All pro 3” lift (650 lbs coils, expedition rears with bilstiens),Timbren rear bumpstops, ubolt flip, diff drop, carrier bearing drop, 33’s on beadlocks ,ARB Bumper, winch, hand throttle, ARE canopy, roof bars, poly bushings all around minus the body mounts. The 2nd Gen: Leveling kit, roll up tonneau cover. 265/75/16’s
    Appreciate the info! Hope you find a solution to that problem. Glad to hear that yours has recovery points. I wasn’t seeing that in the pics on their website. I’ll have to look a little harder and ask them about it before I order.

Products Discussed in

To Top