1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone have a truck "cap" "topper" "shell" hoist?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Madtown Taco, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Apr 14, 2011 at 8:45 AM
    Sawtooth Drifter

Sawtooth Drifter New Member

Member:
    Rob- this looks like a great idea. Do you have any actual pictures of your shell in the hoist system? Also, I'm not sure I understand the notching in the 2x4s. I was thinking I'd use eyebolts in the ends of two 2x4s that span slightly longer than the width of the shell, and then just set the shell on top of those boards, connect cables to the eyebolts, and lift. I would love to see actual pics of your system if you have them. Any reason this wouldn't would for a full-size shortbed shell? Thanks.

2. Apr 14, 2011 at 8:55 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    I put together a simple setup to pull my shell off last weekend. I ran some 8" eye bolts through the joists in the ceiling of my garage. Drilled all the way through with a washer and nut to prevent any chance of it pulling through. I don't trust lag bolts in this situation.

Then I just bought some 2" heavy duty ratchet straps (rated for about 1000 lbs each).

Backed the truck in, unclamped the shell, lifted it a little bit with my legs and stuck some 2x4 blocks between the bed rails and topper to space it away from the bed to allow me to slip the straps under. Then just ratcheted it up off the truck. The just drive out from under it.

I did have to shift it in the straps slightly once it was lifted since it was lifting to the side of the ratchet more than than side without.

3. Apr 14, 2011 at 9:39 AM
    LGE RAW

LGE RAW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Dothan
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off Road DCSB 6AT Magnetic Gray Metallic
    New Mods in the works.
    These are available at Lowes or Home Depot.

4. Apr 25, 2011 at 7:57 PM
    erion109

erion109 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jayson
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD SPORT
    Weathertech FR & RR, DDM Tuning HID 55W 5000k Bi-Xenon, ARE topper, Yellow painted fog-lamp mod, anytime fog-lamp, Ipod interface, Red Top OPTIMA, Bilstein 5100s and 1.5 Toytech AAL, Redline Hoodstruts and EZdown tailgate.
    I've got a leer topper that I'm looking to lift off of my truck as well. I'm definitely on a budget build, so any tips are greatly appreciated. It looks like the least expensive method is with 2x4's. I have a finished garage, so rafters aren't easily accessible. I will have to screw something into the studs and mount pulleys and some sort of winch setup.

5. Dec 18, 2011 at 9:00 AM
    Old Taco

Old Taco New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma 4x4 xcab
    Many thanks to db, that was just the solution I was looking for!

I used to do the 2x4/strap hoist...ugh, what a hassle. But I did not have bars then either.

Since then I got a cheap set of bars, but still did the 2x4/strap hoist. Still sucked.

After looking at db's post, I zipped down to the hardware store and in less than an hour I had a working setup. The most expensive part was the pulleys; my choice was 40 lb. working load ($3) or 420 lb. working load ($9), so I went with seven of the higher load ($63, ouch! I am sure you can do much better at a big-box store). $6 for poly-rope and i was ready to go. Almost.

Working out the math, for a 200 lb topper there should only be about 50 lb. of force on the rope-end, but it ended up being too much to safely pull down by hand, especially since the four corners did not raise evenly and I had to keep stopping and leveling it. I then hooked up a ratchet lever thingy (a " come-along" around these parts) and it zipped right up into the rafters. I am going to get a cheap hoist to finalize the project: the come-along doesn't go backward.

with some help I easily loaded it back down onto the truck. yea.

so-o-o, I am looking at about $100 total, which is more than I wanted to spend, but it is so worth it, and much safer than my 2x4 gig. You ought to be able to do it for 2/3 that if you shop around.

6. Dec 18, 2011 at 10:45 AM
    Rotorpilot

Rotorpilot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Marietta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DC TRD Off-Road 4x4 MT - Quicksand
    Bed Extender (in the works: Rigid Industries Rock Light kit, Amp PowerSteps, Matte Grey TRD wheels with KO BFG's)
    what top do you have there?
    with the rack built in ...?

7. Dec 18, 2011 at 10:47 AM
    dfxdig

dfxdig Well-Known Member

Member:
    myrtle beach, sc
    Vehicle:
    06 trd offroad sr5
    k&n intake, custom bed rack
    will my wife fit on that?

8. Dec 18, 2011 at 4:08 PM
    Old Taco

Old Taco New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma 4x4 xcab
    not sure who you are asking, but if its me I can attach a pic and description

9. Dec 18, 2011 at 5:50 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    Was there enough cable or did you have to buy more? Does it take much effort to raise or is there plenty of mechanical advantage? How do you lower it? It looks like it is against the wall and you would not be able to crank the handle?

10. Dec 19, 2011 at 6:21 AM
    Rotorpilot

Rotorpilot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Marietta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DC TRD Off-Road 4x4 MT - Quicksand
    Bed Extender (in the works: Rigid Industries Rock Light kit, Amp PowerSteps, Matte Grey TRD wheels with KO BFG's)
    sorry...
    I was talking about your topper DB.

11. Mar 3, 2012 at 7:32 PM
    Box Rocket

Box Rocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    3xLocked, lifted, well used
    Some great ideas here. Thanks to those who posted.

12. Jul 28, 2012 at 8:04 AM
    jmayday23

jmayday23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '10 4WD TRD Sport DCLB
    Grillecraft, Hella 500 HIDs, weathertech mats, yellow fogs, OME 885's with shocks and AAL. Bridgestone Revos 285/70-17
    Anyone ever hoisted their topper by connecting to a Yakima or Thule roof rack? I'm curious if they would support the weight of the topper, I have an ARE z-series. I'll probably play it safe and just run some 2x4's underneath.

13. Aug 24, 2012 at 7:50 AM
    unstpible

unstpible Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cedar City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 boosted V6 Auto 334k miles
    CX Racing Turbo kit TransGo shift kit All Pro Apex bumper and skids Smittybilt XRC 9.5 winch All Pro Upper control arm's Bilstein 6112's with 600lb coils Eimkeith's lower control arm reinforcement plates with Perry Parts bump stops All Pro spindle gussets and alignment cam tabs All Pro standard 3" leaf springs Bilstein 5125's rear Extended rear brake line Rear diff breather relocation MagnaFlow catback with resonator Bluetooth stereo Memphis 6x9 door speakers with tweeters Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro Amber fog lights Single piece headlights aftermarket grille Anzo taillights LED 3rd brake light 4runner sunglass holder and dome lights Master Tailgaters rear view mirror with 3 directional cameras, G shock sensors, and anti theft system Honda windshield washer nozzles Stubby antenna Scan Guage II 2nd Gen Snowflake wheels powder coated black Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx 235-75/16 Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Speedytech7's big wire harness upgrade Aeromotive 340 fuel pump
    all you have to do is get 4 of the big wood screws with a loop in the end of it and 4 tie down straps drill them straight in to the rafters its super easy and works like a charm can all be done for under $20.00 its what we used for my dads full size dodge.

if you have a finished sealing in your garage just use a hammer or the back of a screw driver to tap on the sealing you can hear a differance in the sound where your studs are "they should be every 18 inches apart"

or if your really not sure just take a small screw and punch a hole through the dry wall if it goes through easy you missed the stud.

or you could go in the attick and poke a hole from the attick down on both sides of the stud so you know right where they all are and you can center your bolts

simplywinter likes this.
  14. Aug 24, 2012 at 9:01 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Eyebolts

and standard construction layout is 16" on centre or for modern buildings , 24" on centre

15. Aug 24, 2012 at 9:07 AM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    Wait...what?

16. Aug 15, 2013 at 9:02 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Resurrecting this puppy. I finally have a real garage that will support this.

But I'd love to see more posts and pics...

17. Aug 15, 2013 at 11:15 AM
    TacoDaTugBoat

TacoDaTugBoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goshen, Ct
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport
    Same question. I know it would hold it long enough to get it off, but would you hang it from that or use something to hold it from the bedrail?

18. Nov 9, 2013 at 7:57 PM
    luvium

luvium Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB 4x4 TRD Offroad M.G
    Trimmed front flaps Extra D rings
    As long as the bolts holding the rack to the shell have a good backing plate to distribute the weight you should be ok
    I have a hoist system I use. When I had my 96 taco I had hard racks bolted to the shell 4 bolts per rack, 2 on each side, 1/4 bolts with 2" x 4" plates on the inside and I would have it hanging for months. The racks had a type of eye on the end so i would lower the lift to the top of the shell, clip the carabiner to each corner and lift it to the rafters, pull the truck out and secure the corners to fixed cables. I built it out of 1 5/8" unistrut bolted together and a harbor freight electric wench. Now I have a snug top super sport shell without racks so I built bars to go under across the shell and lift it from the ends of the bars so the shell is basically sitting on the bars. Once its raised up I have straps to secure it to the rafters in case the "high quality" harbor freight wench gives out.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  19. Aug 17, 2016 at 1:57 PM
    Nitsud

Nitsud Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab TRD Off-Road
    I know this thread is pretty old. Anyone come up with new ways to hang their topper? I'm looking to store mine in the garage, but don't have the top bars to attach to. I can try the 2x4's underneath the shell. Just wondering what cable, crank, etc. to use for the setup.

20. Jan 8, 2018 at 4:34 PM
    yote

yote Washington State University

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Ext Cab TRD Off-Road
    :worthless:

Jk, but *thread revival* now that I have a house AND A GARAGE I can take my canopy on/off

That's a good idea... just not sure what you meant either by notched 2x4's and lifting from within and not from the outer edges

RZRob[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top