1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone have experience with k&n intake on 2.7?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Backroadbomber, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Jun 11, 2012 at 1:35 PM
    Backroadbomber

Backroadbomber [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Hamburg, New York
    Vehicle:
    2011 4cyl 4wd 5sp Base
    I'm looking to get a k&n filter and intake tube for my 2011 4cyl. I know that it's not a true cold air intake and I know about the dangers of over oiling them. I was just wondering if anyone has one and if they like it or not. I had one on my 05 silverado, and I actually lost low end power because there was a tube on the intake to kinda "store" air for when you need it, like under acceleration or if you put your foot into it. It looks like there's sort of the same thing on the taco and i was curious as to if it had the same effect. Also, if anyone has a pic of one installed that would be great.

2. Jun 11, 2012 at 2:07 PM
    FLAJIM

FLAJIM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Daytona Beach, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner SR5 2WD
    ARE tonneau cover, Electric Pop & Lock tail gate, 2 lighter plugs in bed, Reese hitch/ factory wiring, OEM Bed Extender and fog lights.
    I have the same question, I will be watching for replies.

Be Safe JIM

3. Jun 11, 2012 at 7:47 PM
    Backroadbomber

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Hamburg, New York
    Vehicle:
    2011 4cyl 4wd 5sp Base
    Because I want warm air for better gas mileage and I live te sound an unrestricted cone air filter makes. I found an awesome deal on a k&n 77 series so I think I'll just get it and if it does cut the low end power I will reinstall the plenum (the box over the engine, for those who don't know) and cut down the intake tube so I can keep the maf sensor hole and cone air filter

4. Jun 11, 2012 at 8:10 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Those "tubes" and boxes are not "air capacitors"... they are 100% EPA noise-emissions control devices. Nothing more, nothing less. They have no impact on performance. They are simply mufflers for the intake.

5. Jun 11, 2012 at 9:20 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Hmm...

Air capacitor

I should patent that and sell them on CivicWorld

6. Jun 12, 2012 at 5:54 PM
    Backroadbomber

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Hamburg, New York
    Vehicle:
    2011 4cyl 4wd 5sp Base
    Then why did I lose low end power with the k&n intake? The tube from the throttle body to the filter is bigger on the intake and the filter is less restricted.

7. Jun 12, 2012 at 6:08 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Because you replaced an intake that was designed to work in the normal operating range of your engine and replaced it with one that only provides benefits at high RPM... and marginal benefits at that.

Most all "performance parts" are a tradeoff.
    You can put a "full race cam" and an open plenum intake manifold with dual quads in a 350 Chevy and get it to make 500hp, but below 3500rpm it'll be a complete dog.

That's old school technology.

Modern engines are more complex and changing the intake changes what the computer sees on the sensors and it may or may not be able to adjust to maintain ideal performance.
    Larger intake tube = lower velocity = MAF senses less air flow = computer thinks the engine doesn't need as much fuel/timing/etc...

Even the TRD intake causes a lean condition, and there are no chips to correct it.

8. Jun 13, 2012 at 12:59 PM
    Backroadbomber

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Hamburg, New York
    Vehicle:
    2011 4cyl 4wd 5sp Base
    That makes perfect sense thank you lol I guess I'll probably end up modifying it then because I rarely drive over 2500 rpm

9. Jun 13, 2012 at 5:16 PM
    lickem66

lickem66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    12 V6 DCSB 4x4 Sport 6MT
    Ride-Rites, OE tubes, Tri-Fold tonneau, extra bed D-rings, OE bedmat, center console organizer, rearview mirror bracket re-locate.
    Plus, you replaced an intake that was getting its air from outside the engine bay - "cold" - and put on an intake that is getting its air from inside the hot engine bay. Sucking in hot air does not add power, it takes it away.

Products Discussed in

To Top