1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone have experience with Lamin-X film?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by VADER, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Sep 12, 2018 at 11:25 AM
    VADER

VADER [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB
    Found a few older threads, but seemed to be mixed reviews and incomplete answers.

I like aesthetically the looks of the yellow fogs like the Baja squadrons have, but not in the budget right now.

So a few questions:
    - has anyone used them, first hand reviews?
    - is the installation a pain? some reviews seem to say the film is almost too thick and causes issues to get it to lay flat
    - does it reduce the light thrown from the fogs?
    - anyone use something different with a good experience?

Thanks in advance everyone, i linked the product i'm referring too if you haven't seen it.

https://www.amazon.com/Lamin-x-T136...6688&sr=8-2&keywords=tacoma+laminx+fog+lights

2. Sep 12, 2018 at 11:38 AM
    GHOST SHIP

GHOST SHIP hates you.

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST
    I’ve used it on the headlight for my motorcycle.
    It is a lot thicker than regular window tint so that affects its workability. I used a head gun to stretch and contour to The curve of the headlight. A week later I noticed some small bubbles forming around the outer edge to I hit it with more heat and a plastic squeegee to work them out. They haven’t come back since. If you plan on doing your stock fogs, I’d recommend removing them just to give you room to work the film flat rather than try and install on the truck.

It will reduce light somewhat but not enough where I’d call it a total loss. Really anything you put in front of a light will reduce output so pick your poison. IMO the yellow produces better visibility which is easier in the eyes that bright white light, plus it is much more noticeable to oncoming traffic which is the main reason I did it. Since most car manufacturers are going to LED headlights, a piss-yellow light stands out.

Another note is that if you’re using led bulbs, the yellow tint will give you a bit of a light greenish yellow light rather than a deep amber. This is because of the higher kelvin rating of LEDs vs incandescent. Doesn’t bother me but you can add a second layer if you want a deeper yellow but that will reduce output more.

3. Sep 12, 2018 at 11:44 AM
    VADER

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB
    Thanks for the reply, sounds like for the $15 it could be worth a shot.

It would be on my stock fog's, so wouldn't have the LED issue.

4. Sep 12, 2018 at 11:50 AM
    GHOST SHIP

GHOST SHIP hates you.

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST
    Just be patient and use plenty of that applicator spray (mostly water). It’ll help move the film a bit if you misalign initial application. As the spray dries that’s kind of what creates bubbles if you didn’t squeegee it out all the way. Also move the heat gun around a lot. If you keep it in one place too long it will melt the plastic and it’ll shrink and be ruined. There’s a few YouTube videos you might want to look at to give you an idea.

VADER[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. Sep 12, 2018 at 12:14 PM
    VADER

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB
    This is a dry application video i found that makes it look super easy... i was set on the wet application but now this looks pretty damn easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bra8SYt_DoI

6. Jun 2, 2020 at 12:47 PM
    Junkhead

Junkhead TRDude

Member:
    First Name:
    Serge
    Prince George, BC
    Vehicle:
    Black 4x4 Sport MT 2018
    Some Serious Tires
    Old thread, but i recently installed lamin x fog light covers. I think it looks great and the install took me 3 mins, no joke.

I dont understand why some folks remove the bezel or the whole fog light! Haha! I removed the backing from the lamin x, then just touched the center of the lamin x to the center of the foglight. Then, used my thumb in circular motion from the center to apply the lamin x.

Does not get any easier. No bubbles or cracks, looks good.

20200529_181512.jpg
    20200529_181505.jpg
    20200529_182455.jpg
    20200530_074814.jpg

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    shane100700 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top