1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone have frame rust after the spray recall?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ManofSteel1, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Mar 12, 2014 at 4:41 PM
    legbuh

legbuh Active Member

Member:
    S. MN
    Vehicle:
    95 Taco SR5 4x4 3.4L
    Lift
    I think my floor pans are in much worse shape than my frame, which has the coating an is flaking off.

Im scared to remove the carpets this spring to try and fix it.

2. Mar 12, 2014 at 5:31 PM
    MIARKA

MIARKA New Member

Member:
    so if they run out of frames by the time mine needs replacing, will it most likely be a buy back situation?
    like I said earlier, my dealer claims that they are not doing the frame replacement anymore and Toyota corporate says it's a case by case bases now...

BTW has anyone heard of a frame getting replaced in the past 4 months?

3. Mar 12, 2014 at 5:48 PM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.

Toyota corporate has always handled the frame replacements/buybacks case by case. Too much fraud going on otherwise. They require photographs along with a dealer's inspection report for each and every warranty claim. As an example, when I traded my truck in the dealership had a 99 just like mine (but blue) that somebody had taken an angle grinder to the frame and thinned it, then let it rust out, then took it in for an inspection. The dealership failed it, and Toyota wasn't offering any buybacks or replacements. At the same time, this same dealership was putting a brand new frame, springs, control arms and rear axle under an '02 that was so immaculate I couldn't believe that the frame had tanked on it.
    So, yes, it's being handled case by case. But no, they're not within a country mile of being done with the program.

4. Mar 12, 2014 at 7:32 PM
    Bamahoyt

Bamahoyt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DC LB 4x4
    Just got my truck back yesterday after it was coated in 2011. It had 2 holes in it by march 2014 and once I got it re-inspected, it only took them 3 weeks total to order parts and do the swap. It included frame, brackets and hardware, rear leafs, and brake lines.

5. Mar 13, 2014 at 7:10 AM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 TRD 4x4, '23 Bronco Wildtrak, 2017 HSQV FE350
    Drop bracket lift and booger welds
    I started getting peeling on the undercoating that was put on after my truck was treated. It was treated in 2012 as well. I took it to the dealer and they said that they can't do anything about the peeling of the coating, and that they can only help if there was perforation. They said I could go to the dealer that performed the coating to see if they will fix the shoddy spray job, but I decided it wasn't worth it and to just manage the coating myself. Now I spray the frame myself before every winter to make the frame last as long as possible.

6. Mar 13, 2014 at 8:21 AM
    EngRWW33

EngRWW33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I considered just maintaining the frame myself as well, however, my thought process was this:
    I would sand/clean the current rust off of the frame and spray an undercoating on the cleaned frame. Simple enough, yet would be a decent amount of work... Well, if the frame rust did perforate after doing this, it would not surprise me to have Toyota come to me and say, "You sanded and modified our coating and because of this we will not accept your claim."
    So I am pretty much letting the worthless coating do it's job (nothing) and keeping a close eye on things. If/when there is perforation, Toyota should have no reason to deny the claim.

7. Mar 13, 2014 at 8:36 AM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 TRD 4x4, '23 Bronco Wildtrak, 2017 HSQV FE350
    Drop bracket lift and booger welds
    True. I am welding sliders to mine soon too so once that happens i'm sure whatever coverage I would have from Toyota will be void anyway.

8. Mar 13, 2014 at 9:12 AM
    cruiser333

cruiser333 New Member

Member:
    indy
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma trd
    Hi, I'm new here and I am just learning about the frame rust issue. I bought a 2002 tacoma trd back in Dec. of 2011 and I don't know if th po had the frame inspected. How do I find out if the frame has been inspected and qualify for the extended warranty? Thanks.

9. Mar 13, 2014 at 9:18 AM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.

Damn. You guys had it worse than I did. Mine just had the one spot, and it wasn't noticeable until the tech @ Toyota put his hammer through it.
    [​IMG]

10. Mar 14, 2014 at 4:50 AM
    Bamahoyt

Bamahoyt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DC LB 4x4
    You can call corporate Toyota or you can take it into a dealer and have them look and reinspect it for you.

11. Mar 14, 2014 at 7:06 AM
    SteveNC

SteveNC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma 4x4 2.7l
    Around the same time I posted the photos you saw above we took the truck to the dealer here in Charlotte, NC (S. Blvd) for the rust notice pertaining to the spare tire carrier. It passed without any problems although I didn't personally witness them taking the tire down. I asked them about the frame rust and they were not aware of any recalls, repairs, or replacements. They basically said it was out of warranty and that was only for vehicles that had the re-coat which ours didn't have (because back then they told us we didn't qualify due to where the truck was registered).

Long story short, in Oct. 2013 after replacing the muffler I coated the frame and slight bed rust with Permatex Extend Rust Treatment 81775. I chose not to use a wire brush or sandblaster. After poking around with a screwdriver and my bare hands I was concerned that it wouldn't be able to handle the added stress. It seems to be adhering well and so far no new rust is coming through. When my father in law comes down this spring I will have him take a look and see if he thinks we should have a reinforcement welded in. As long as we live in NC I don't expect Toyota to do anything for us; at least as far as the dealership here is concerned.

12. Mar 14, 2014 at 4:13 PM
    JJ04TACO

JJ04TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    04 White DC/TRD
    Fox 2.5 RR front, 2.0 RR rear from AccuTune Offroad, OME Dakar Leafs, Camburg Uniball UCA's, CBI Offroad Bolt on Sliders w/kickout, Scangauge II Uniden Bearcat 880 w/ 3' Firestick on CBI antenna mount B&M Trans Cooler
    :eek: What area do you guys live in? My 04 looks mostly new, and that rust is horrible! My truck has spent most of its days in Albuquerque and Dallas.

I got under there today and saw some very mild surface rust in very small spots where the coating scratched off during mild wheeling. Took a wire brush to the area and shot it with some Permatex as a precaution. I searched the whole frame up one side and down the other, and nothing even close to that.

Edit: I see Charlotte, looks like salty coastal areas? NYC too. I didn't read that closely...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  13. Mar 15, 2014 at 6:59 AM
    SteveNC

SteveNC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma 4x4 2.7l
    Charlotte, NC since 2006. Occasionally they use salt water brine on the roads in the winter so that is the only salt exposure it gets any more. From purchase in 2000/2001 it was in upstate central NY where salt and sand are used on the roads from late Nov until late April most years. The rust slowed considerably after moving here, but it is like having a small inoperable cancerous tumor.

14. May 19, 2014 at 11:15 AM
    littlefamilyof4

littlefamilyof4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ashley
    Green Bay VA
    Vehicle:
    99 ToyotaTacoma 4X4
    We have 99 Tacoma we received our recall letter the week of 6/4/11 I took our truck to our local dealer on 6/7/11 they inspected it and sprayed the frame they kept our truck for 4 days to complete the process about 4 weeks ago I got in the truck to run up the road it felt like the tire was about to come off once I got a chance to look at it there is a rust on the frame near the right rear tire I call our local dealer emailed him pictures after about 3 days of him talking with Toyota we were informed we will have to start the buy back process because these frames are no longer available for this model our dealer summited all the forms after we dropped our truck off at the dealership last Monday I received a call from a "case manager" saying that we are basically SOL because our 15 years were up as of September 30 2013 I then explained to her that we complied with TOYOTA'S RECALL and that isn't right this is just another TOYOTA ISSUSE/RECALL that they are trying to cover up Has anyone had this same issues of can someone help me get this case in front of someone at the Toyota headquarters I did file a complaint via Toyota customer service today the lady on the phone pointed me in that direction but that's as far as I've been able to get

15. Jul 7, 2014 at 12:37 PM
    jerryinwoolwine

jerryinwoolwine New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Woolwine, VA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD 4X4
    I took my 03 into the Maryland dealership in 2010 for the frame rust issue. It was sloppily undercoated and told it was fine.

4 years later. Now living in SW Virginia, I took it in for the tire carrier recall. They condemned my truck! Huge hole in the frame above the leaf spring. The Christiansburg, VA Toyota service department was happy to give me a rental car (not truck) and is putting a new frame under it for free. My differential is also rusting out, as in leaking fluid if parked on a hill, through the thin housing and of course EVERYTHING around the frame is rusting, exhaust, brackets, gas tank, springs, shocks, cables, hubs, etc.

I loved my Tacoma, but now I will sell it after getting it squared away. Toyota is NOT paying for any other parts, but the dealer said they will put new parts on for free if I purchase them at the dealership. Is this a good deal? I doubt they will get the shocks off with out breaking them after 11 years of rusting.

I recommend getting your Tacoma frame inspected yearly, even if you had the useless undercoating applied.

16. Jul 7, 2014 at 2:29 PM
    Snowman

Snowman I have a problem for your solutionÂ…

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Somewhere in Canada
    Vehicle:
    Check out my build
    Mine has all flaked off too. I just keep an eye on it hoping it rots through before 2019 when my warranty expires. haha

17. Jul 7, 2014 at 4:50 PM
    Tacokid11

Tacokid11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Western Mass
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma
    coilovers, 3" springs and 2" shackles, Detroit locker, trail-gear armor all around, smittybilt xrc8 winch, rock lights
    I found a whole in my frame recently and took it into toyota, it took 6 weeks for my frame to come in and they are saying it will take a week for my truck to be back. But who knows since they said my frame would be here within 2-3 weeks. I had sliders that were welded onto my truck and they just told me I had to cut them off before otherwise it'd cost extra, so welding sliders on doesn't void the warranty. I'm just playing the waiting game now and then have to weld the sliders onto the new frame. Hope everyones frame gets fixed if needed.

18. Jul 7, 2014 at 5:23 PM
    Snowman

Snowman I have a problem for your solutionÂ…

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Somewhere in Canada
    Vehicle:
    Check out my build
    ^ that's good to know! Warranty concerns are the main reason why I don't have sliders

19. Jul 8, 2014 at 11:47 AM
    JAGER91374

JAGER91374 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Des Plaines
    Vehicle:
    3 TRD O/R
    OME 883's and Dakars, OME Shocks, Gray Wire, Deck Plate, Blacked Out Chrome, RAT Skids, BAMF BPV Bracket, Toytec Diff Drop, Braided Extended Brake Lines Front and Rear, In-Dash Nav.
    My 03 had the coating sprayed on back in 2010. It was pretty much all flaked off within a year.

I've kept a pretty close watch on my frame since then and there aren't any holes that I can find. Hopefully something shows up in the next year or so.

Has anyone who had their frames replaced run into issues with Toyota due to a lift or other items. I'm holding off on installing my Sliders and 3rd skid plate as I don't want to touch the frame and give them a reason to deny the repair.

20. Jul 8, 2014 at 5:51 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    This. So much this! Holding out til 2017 :cool:

There is some law that says something (I'm being super desciptive, I know) along the lines of if a modification isn't directly responsible for a fault, then the dealership has to fix it under warranty. So, if you ripped a hole in your frame from the sliders coming down and the rust started right there, then it's on you to fix it. If the sliders didn't weaken the frame at all and the rust is nowhere near where they are mounted, it's on Toyota to fix it.

So basically unless you modified your frame, Toyota can't reject warranty work based on any other mods you have done.

Products Discussed in

To Top