1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone have frame rust after the spray recall?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ManofSteel1, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Jul 13, 2014 at 1:15 PM
    Tacokid11

Tacokid11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Western Mass
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma
    coilovers, 3" springs and 2" shackles, Detroit locker, trail-gear armor all around, smittybilt xrc8 winch, rock lights
    So I just had my frame replaced on my truck, I had sliders welded on and a 3" lift with shackles in the rear. They told me I had to cut the sliders off otherwise it would cost me for them to cut it off. And on the lift, the front is fine they don't really touch it other than unbolting it. But the rear, they give you new stock springs. So they will try to unbolt the leafs and if the bolt is frozen in there they will cut the spring from the frame and leave the bolt in there. The guy said if that happens to have a shop machine it out…but they will replace with factory springs…Luckily they got my bolts out so they put my lift back in. But any aftermarket parts on the truck are not toyotas responsibility so they will either have you take them off or will try their best and charge you. Also they had told me I had to take my winch off and take my tools out of my toolbox…just a heads up

2. Jul 31, 2014 at 12:46 PM
    seanmccarthy1

seanmccarthy1 Member

Member:
    massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    05 sr5
    My 2005 Taco is at the dealer now waiting to get the word on replacement or spray. I asked dealer about my input and was told I have none. How does spraying a already rusted frame do anything except hide it visually ?

3. Aug 1, 2014 at 5:09 AM
    lovedr79

lovedr79 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    04 taco 3.4 5spd.
    K&N filter, brush guard and KC lights, TRD
    makes it worse.

4. Aug 13, 2014 at 5:52 PM
    2k4tacoma

2k4tacoma New Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 4WD 4CYL
    Frame rusted out on my 1999 Tacoma and Toyota just bought it back last month for $9500 (195k miles, SR5 Prerunner 2WD 4CYL). Previous owner did NOT have the frame service done prior. I should have noticed this rust way before, but I only had the truck for less than 2yrs and didn't bother to check the inner portion of the frame. Also, this past winter in NJ did not help at all. Process was seemless, and I had my check within a week of inspection.

Just bought a 2004 Tacoma with 105k miles, and the previous owner DID have the frame inspected and coated in 2010. I am also noticing the coating beginning to peel off. However, the frame seems solid and lacks rust so far. I want to take some sort of preventive measure such as spraying it myself with anti-rust spray and Hoping for the best...

IMG_1323.jpg
    IMG_1324.jpg

5. Aug 16, 2014 at 5:59 PM
    Taco Sos

Taco Sos Well-Known Member

Member:
    Culpeper, VA
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma DC TRD 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s in front, 265/75/16 BFG A/T, Grey Wire Mod, Deck Palte Mod, Tint, Clarion Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, Dual 4 channel amp
    I had my 01 checked and sprayed a couple years ago. I have noticed that when I wash my truck and spray in the wheel wells that the coating just flakes right off the frame. It just goes to show that they either do 0 prep work or use cheap coating when they spray. I'm leaning more towards no prep. Once they sprayed it you cant tell where the surface rust is.......

Products Discussed in

To Top