1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone have pics of satellite antenna through brakelight?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by kevinkay, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Feb 4, 2008 at 10:02 AM
    kevinkay

kevinkay [OP] Member

Member:
    St. Charles, IL
    Vehicle:
    2008 Double Cab TRD
    I want to get Sirius (but I think it's the same for XM) and will be upgrading stock stereo (maybe the DNX7100). I don't want to run the wire outside the door or drill through the roof. I also saw a post where the antenna was inside the car, but I thought that didn't work well with satellite radio.

It seems a few of you have figured out a way to get it through the 3rd brakelight. How does it actually come out? Around the plastic? Any pics and/or instructions would be great.

2. Feb 4, 2008 at 3:36 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Never heard of that but a great idea

3. Feb 6, 2008 at 2:49 PM
    gdub

gdub Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4x4 Double Cab
    Just did this yesterday.
    Remove the rear hooks on the back headliner (above head) just turn left or right and pop off. then take the two 10mm bolts out of the grab handle driver side back door and 10 mm bolt above the rear seatbelt piller (c) pull plastic out a couple inches. Open back window and stand in the bed take off 3rd brake light cover drill 1/2 hole bottom right so you won't it the brak light wire. (wire comes in center left you can fell it with your fingers) . Go through the plastic, you can put your hand through the window and under the headliner to feal for the drill. Run wire through the break light and out to the top of the headlinner down piller c across door jam B and A ( just pull up and they pop off) and up piller A around under the dash. silicone the hole in the break light cut a little wedge in the rubber so the lense will fit properly.

4. Feb 6, 2008 at 2:54 PM
    kevinkay

kevinkay [OP] Member

Member:
    St. Charles, IL
    Vehicle:
    2008 Double Cab TRD
    It would be awesome if you could take some pics of what you did. If you closed up your headliner, don't bother with the inside, but I'd love to see the outside. How does the wire lay, the overall look, etc.

5. Feb 6, 2008 at 3:21 PM
    gdub

gdub Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4x4 Double Cab
    how do I send pics? It keeps telling be to enter URL of image. Don't know what that is.

6. Feb 7, 2008 at 4:27 PM
    kevinkay

kevinkay [OP] Member

Member:
    St. Charles, IL
    Vehicle:
    2008 Double Cab TRD
    Hit the post button below. Type a message. Near the bottom in the "Attach Files" section there is a button for "Manage Attachments", click it. At the top of the popup window is the section "Upload File from you Computer" type in your file name or find it on your computer with the "Browse..." button. After the filename is filled in, click the "Upload" button.

7. Feb 7, 2008 at 9:48 PM
    gdub

gdub Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4x4 Double Cab
    4 Pics

9.jpg
    8.jpg
    7.jpg
    6.jpg

8. Feb 9, 2008 at 5:15 PM
    ZonKs

ZonKs Can speak french in Russian.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    i just put mine on my dash and it works great

9. Jul 2, 2008 at 9:48 PM
    cgreencorn

cgreencorn New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab 4x4 TRD
    I just did this with my 2008 DBL Cab TRD and it was pretty simple for someone who had no idea what he was doing and just went by the above pics. The only thing I"m concerned about is moisture getting in around the brake light but I've put silicone in there but here's hoping.

I installed the Alpine iDA-X100, with the Sirius Tuner and Alpine connect. The install was a breeze with the Scosche dash kit, worst part was running the antennae. The X100 is awesome, speakers are next.

Cheers Taco lovers!

10. Aug 26, 2008 at 12:40 PM
    ROMbler

ROMbler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner SR5
    DTRL
    I did that with my Sebring convertable and got sketchy results. Does yours ever loose the signal?
    I am thinking of just going this route when I move my sirius to my 06 tacoma, if I works okay.

11. Aug 26, 2008 at 4:20 PM
    squad314

squad314 Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    My antennae runs through my brake light as well,just like gdub.I used the factory plastic sheath to hold down the wire and it is slick and clean.

12. Oct 19, 2008 at 9:19 PM
    tntacoma

tntacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    tn
    I ran my wire from my xm radio thru the fire wall plug up the firewall and out the plastic grill below the wipers. then i ran it up the windshield rubber to the roof and my antenna is right above my passenger side.

13. Oct 19, 2008 at 10:55 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Not worth the effort & chance of screwing something up. When I heard one say "Drill". :eek:

I just ran mine under the dash, out the passengers door frame,up the windshield molding( The wire is thin enough to slide under the molding). And the magnetic antenna sits just above the windsheild. It is strong enough not to move even in carwashes. Took 5 minutes, I used electrical tape to hold the wire under the dash & in the door frame.

14. Oct 21, 2008 at 6:43 PM
    Navigator

Navigator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Sport 6spd
    17" American Racing Assaults on 265/70/17 Goodyear AT/S, TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Toyota Roof Rack, XM install with antenna out 3rd brake light, Red LED Map Lights, AUX Amber LED rocker switch for LED footwell lights, LUND Bug Screen, EXTANG Tri-Fold Tonneau, Hertz Component Speakers w/ TacoTunes Mounts, Infinity Kappa 4 amp, Image Dynamics 10" sub in TacoTunes enclosure, Pop n' Lock, Toyota Aluminum Wedge Running Boards, BHLM, Self Performed '05 Cowl Leak TSB, E-Z Cool Insulation/Sound Deadener applied to floorboard, headliner, and cab bulkhead, 896 Foglight bulbs as backup lights, Weathertechs, Pioneer Double Din, Scan Gauge, AutoSoft Remote Start, 2010 4Runner Heated/Signal/Puddle Mirrors.
    Ran mine out the 3rd Brakelight without any problems. I had it on the dash in my old truck and there were certain spots locally that it would cut in and out....no problems now that it's outside.

DSC03121.jpg

15. Oct 21, 2008 at 6:50 PM
    Taco's for All

Taco's for All Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake George, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab
    Nothing at the moment
    Did you do anything extra to seal yours? When I did this with my dad's truck, it started to leak after a few months during downpoars. I didn't want to use any sealant because I tend to remove antenna's frequently and put them in other vehicles.

16. Oct 21, 2008 at 7:04 PM
    Navigator

Navigator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Sport 6spd
    17" American Racing Assaults on 265/70/17 Goodyear AT/S, TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Toyota Roof Rack, XM install with antenna out 3rd brake light, Red LED Map Lights, AUX Amber LED rocker switch for LED footwell lights, LUND Bug Screen, EXTANG Tri-Fold Tonneau, Hertz Component Speakers w/ TacoTunes Mounts, Infinity Kappa 4 amp, Image Dynamics 10" sub in TacoTunes enclosure, Pop n' Lock, Toyota Aluminum Wedge Running Boards, BHLM, Self Performed '05 Cowl Leak TSB, E-Z Cool Insulation/Sound Deadener applied to floorboard, headliner, and cab bulkhead, 896 Foglight bulbs as backup lights, Weathertechs, Pioneer Double Din, Scan Gauge, AutoSoft Remote Start, 2010 4Runner Heated/Signal/Puddle Mirrors.
    I've had it like this for 4 months without any leaks. The original seal was still really sticky when i took it off, so I just re-used it and put a thin layer of clear all weather silicone on the seal itself. There's also a little silicone on the Ant. wire where it runs through the brakelight bracket.

For what antenna's cost, I'd just buy an extra one to move around from vehicle to vehicle.

17. Aug 18, 2009 at 3:51 AM
    boutym

boutym Member

Member:
    NY
    Just installed through the brake light yesterday. There is enough space between the light assy and cab for the wire. The gasket is not sold alone, so be careful when prying the assy off. Once off you can just run a bead of sealant around the remainder of the gasket and screw the whole thing back in place. No drilling required.

18. Aug 18, 2009 at 10:36 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    Sirius antenna routed through the 3rd brake light in my 02. Sealed w/ no leaks:

IMAG0760_700916e29f2ffd7404524142421537316609b515.jpg

19. Aug 18, 2009 at 10:43 AM
    tacobell007

tacobell007 Western Mass Automotive Coatings

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
    We ran ours through the trim then up the the top of the rear window. Works fine. Ran the wires from the back of the unit through the front defroster. Everything is hidden

20. Aug 18, 2009 at 11:36 AM
    boutym

boutym Member

Member:
    NY
    Only thing I might do is get some black sealant someplace and run a bead around the light. The clear sealant I used looks kinda messy if you look through the small gap between the light assy and cab.

Products Discussed in

To Top