1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone have Problems balancing the DuraTracs?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by PropJet, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Feb 13, 2010 at 7:32 PM
    PropJet

PropJet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, Moto Metal 955's, GoodYear DuraTrac 265/75/16's, N-Fab Nerf Bar
    I installed a lift, wheels and the GoodYear DuraTracs all at the same time, about 5-6 months ago. When it was complete, I had a terrible wobble in the steering at speeds above 45 mph. I took it back to the shop that mounted the tires, and they road force balanced them again. The result was a slight improvement, but the wobble was still there, so I took it back again. I was basically told that a couple of my tires would not balance correctly, so that's as good as it was ever going to get. As a result, I have just lived with it for the past 5k miles.

At this point I'm not sure what to do. I drive about 20 miles each way to / from work, and I definitely don't like to drive the truck for any longer than that. I'd say about 10% of the time it drives perfect as if there's nothing wrong, 70% of the time the wobble is moderate, and the remaining 20% of the time it is very bad.

There's a GoodYear shop here in town. I'm thinking of taking it to them and seeing what they might be able to do. Do you think they might take on the challenge, or am I going to have to buy a couple more tires? I know I should have addressed this much sooner, but without making excuses the simple fact is that I failed to do so.

2. Feb 13, 2010 at 7:36 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    #3, 2015 SR AC 4x4 V6 6 speed
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels
    PropJet, where are you at in KS?
    My duratracs have given me no issues since I bought them. I am sure some of the credit goes to the shop where I got them. (Kansasland Tire in Derby, just south of Wichita).

3. Feb 13, 2010 at 7:51 PM
    PropJet

Member:
    KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, Moto Metal 955's, GoodYear DuraTrac 265/75/16's, N-Fab Nerf Bar
    Wow, small world. I'm in Derby, and the GoodYear store I was thinking of going to is Kansasland. I didn't buy from there originally because if my memory is correct they wanted $200 / tire on sale. Normal price was $230. I got them from Tire Rack for $170 each, and took them to D&B for the mounting / balancing. Also, when I was at Kansasland, they said they hadn't installed any DuraTracs yet.

4. Feb 13, 2010 at 7:58 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    #3, 2015 SR AC 4x4 V6 6 speed
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels
    HA! what are the chances of that?
    So then I would vote yes, take them on down there and see what they can do for you. I am going to have to go and have them rotate mine again here in a couple days.

5. Feb 13, 2010 at 8:04 PM
    PropJet

Member:
    KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Off Road
    I'll stop by there sometime this week. Hopefully they can get it taken care of without making me buy new tires. I don't recall what the warranty is on them, though.

Products Discussed in

To Top