1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone know how to get diabetes supplies at a discount?

Discussion in 'Health' started by Jester243, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Jan 21, 2011 at 12:26 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 [OP] all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    So this past Tuesday my son was diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic, so he will be insulin dependent from here on out. After a trip to the pharmacy we picked all of his items up I as a little dismayed at how little his insurance covered. We were left with almost $700 out of pocket and will work out to about $400/month out of pocket. Because of this we are looking at ways to get items with any discounts, it was recommended to us to check with the manufactures as some of them offer assistance with purchasing supplies. Does anyone else know of any resources to look at? We are looking at Costco for things like the alcohol swabs and maybe syringes as well. Any ideas?

Thanks,

2. Jan 21, 2011 at 7:10 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    First off, I'm sorry to hear. Second, what insulin is he on for his basal and bosul? I'll check into it and see if the makers of Lantus have any offers or ways to reduce the cost for you.

How old is your son? I know it's a tough predicament to be in. Need any advice or have any questions hit me up.

3. Jan 22, 2011 at 3:41 AM
    USFCON

USFCON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Melbourne, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5 Off Road
    FLM URD Short Shifter Debadged Gate 4 D-ring add on Weathertech floor mats Sport Wheel Swap Color matched Grill Bed lights Air freshner mod AAL Bilstein x 4 Tacolean Spacer Tins Bike Fork Mount Sexy Tires Blacked out Valence
    Check w mfg website for assistance. Second see if your pharmacy has a discount card, believe it or not this may help too. My wife works at walgreens pharmacy and I saved 50$ from their discount program.

4. Jan 22, 2011 at 5:18 AM
    burtonboards32

burtonboards32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I am a type 1 diabetic also. It's a tough disease but just as long as it is kept under control your son should live a long healthy and somewhat normal life. A few things that I do to save money is get mailorder scripts through my insurance company. Generally that will cut the cost almost in half assuming your insurance company has a program similar to this. Another thing that I do is ask my doctor for free samples. He has been great and allows me to stop in the clinic (Joslin Clinic - great place!) and pick up samples whenever I need them.

5. Jan 22, 2011 at 5:32 AM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    Wow, sorry to hear. I wish I could tell you what you are needing to hear, sorry that I can't, but just wanted to let you know to hang in there and praying for your son and family.

6. Jan 22, 2011 at 5:43 AM
    czwhat

czwhat Member

Member:
    Ive been a type 1 for over 10 years. Its hard to deal with so its really important that he learns quick to deal with it. Once he does that he should have a really decent and long lasting life. For cost its expensive but most doctors offices will give you free meters, but the test stripes are what cost the most. Ive been lucky because I had good heath insurance when I was diagnosed, and my employer provides us with a decent plan. I would just ask the JDRF about finding supplys. Hope this helps and if you got anymore questions just ask.

7. Jan 22, 2011 at 5:46 AM
    goride

goride Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    UTAH
    Vehicle:
    22 4dr lb white off-road
    Tint, sliders, puddle pods, on my way to more….
    Sory to hear about your son. I have been type1 since I was six,I dont have insurance,your doc can give you samples and you can probably get on a prescription help program, they go thru the makers of the drugs you need, you will have to write a letter stating your situation.I do this and get my blood testing supplys, humalog and lantus for next to nothing.Good luck:D

8. Jan 22, 2011 at 7:51 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 [OP] all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    Thanks guys. He is on Humalog with meals and Lantus in the evening. So far incurance covered the Humalog (although not enough for a month) and only 100 testing strips for a month. The Lantus was out of pocket along with things like pen needles alcohol swabs glucose tabs and the emergency pen. I have been looking at the manufactures site and we are going to go over some stuff with the doc that may help cover more. Thanks guys for the suggestions we are definately looking into everything we can. Also thanks for the well wishes, he is 13 1/2 and just did a lot of growing up this week, but he si getting the hang of it and should be good. :pray:

9. Jan 22, 2011 at 7:26 PM
    BuckNakedBooda

BuckNakedBooda There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Member:
    Woodbridge, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tundra Crewmax Limited 4x4
    I purchase much of my diabetic supplies (BD pen needles, test strips, alcohol pads and lancets) on eBay.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. Jan 22, 2011 at 8:18 PM
    The1youluv2hate

The1youluv2hate Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peps
    SAnta Paula CA
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD sPort 4x4 (11mgmsport)
    oem pro grill 17” pro rep wheels Fox dsc shocks
    Ask your doctor for free sample we get a ton at my job

11. Jan 22, 2011 at 8:23 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    I'm sorry to hear about your son. MY RANT!!! I think it's bullishit the working American must struggle for Meds but fukn cock suckers illegally here get this shit for free. I'm sorry i don't have an answer to your question.I'm so tired of it always being this way

12. Jan 22, 2011 at 9:01 PM
    05 TRD Sport

05 TRD Sport She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.

Member:
    30 minutes south of Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Red Prerunner AC
    Wal Mart sells it's store brand, Reli-On insulin , strips and syringes for like half of what name brand stuff cost. I hate Wal Mart.

Products Discussed in

To Top