1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone mount a can of pepper spray in the cab

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mobious212, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Sep 17, 2016 at 7:19 PM
    mobious212

mobious212 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    99 Pre- Runner V6 TRD
    Did the mag-lite mount so i got my close range defense covered, I thought about getting pepper spray to cover my ranged defense. Sadly firearms are not option due to my job. I was thinking about getting one of the big cans of pepper spray but was wondering if anyone else has done it before and how did they mount it and where is the best place to do it since it has to be out of direct sunlight. i also don't care about making new holes since ive already put more money into the truck than its worth so no plans to sell it.

2. Sep 17, 2016 at 7:20 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    It'd really suck to come out to your truck after one of those 100+ degree days and that can has ruptured

3. Sep 17, 2016 at 7:24 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    Uh yeah, bad idea. I carry bear spray for some of the activities I need to do, and it never goes in the cab. ( or the helicopter cabin) recipe for disaster.

4. Sep 17, 2016 at 7:30 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    Throttle pedal I would think is your best offense / defense, to run over, hit, or otherwise get away; 4400 lbs at your control.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    ecoterragaia likes this.
  5. Sep 17, 2016 at 8:41 PM
    QMEDJoe

QMEDJoe Proverbs 3:5-6

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:
    2003 black DLX Tacoma,5VZ-FE,5 speed,4x4.
    Fox 2.0 Coilovers in the front and Fox 2.0’s in the rear, Total Chaos UCA’s, Al-lpro expo leafs, K&N cold air intake, TRD headers,Magnaflow catback exhaust,URD short throw shifter, switched out my 60/40 bench seat for some Tacoma Limited seats, Replaced the vinyl shift boot for a leather one, completely soundproofed the cab w/ Frost King. Replaced stock radio with a Pioneer AVH series head unit. Focal component system w/a 10" sub powered by 2 Alpine amps. Weathertech floor mats. Line-X'd the bed. SCS Ray 10’s, Installed an A.R.E. MX series camper shell. All-Pro Apex front bumper w/ All-Pro skid plates all the way back to the Trans. Low Range fuel skid plate.
    I keep one in my pack at times but I agree with the above statements. If it ever ruptured your entire interior is ruined.

6. Sep 17, 2016 at 8:52 PM
    IronPeak

IronPeak PermaLurker

Member:
    First Name:
    AuggieX
    Back to Back
    Vehicle:
    2007 sr5 4x4 DCLB/2015 TRD sport 4x4 DCLB sold
    Bigger Taller Slower
    Accidentally touched some of that stuff when I left a can in the sun, it had emtied itself. Went wee wee before I realized what it was. In the boonies with 3l of water. Looking back it was funny, at the time not so much, lol. The point is sun will make a can release it's contents.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  7. Sep 17, 2016 at 8:53 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Say Wut?

MagLite mount for close range defense?
    Pepper spray mount for ranged defense?

If you're close enough to the car to grab either of those and do anything with it, you're close enough to get in the car and leave the situation.

The safest thing inside your vehicle is the vehicle itself. If you're so concerned, carry something on your person.

Sig45, digitaLbraVo, IronPeak and 2 others like this.
  8. Sep 17, 2016 at 10:09 PM
    kylehirsch87

kylehirsch87 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Vehicle:
    99 tacoma ext cab TRD
    Supercharged, cold air intake
    Is tour truck getting inspected?

9. Sep 17, 2016 at 10:13 PM
    HAVVOKK

HAVVOKK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2014 DGAF Long Bed
    Fucking look it up
    :laughing:
    Would be hilarious to be a witness of the guy getting in his truck though

IronPeak likes this.
  10. Sep 17, 2016 at 10:15 PM
    HAVVOKK

HAVVOKK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2014 DGAF Long Bed
    Fucking look it up
    To OP get a tazer or a baseball bat and put a glove in your truck bats are great for distance the glove avoids police harassment and it your smart you get aluminum bat so the blood doesn't seep into the wood and is easy to wash off

11. Sep 17, 2016 at 10:31 PM
    windsor

windsor Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Super Duty aka Tundra
    Canopy, fitted seat covers, OBA with self leveling air bags, 100w solar, dual Rhino Rack Pioneer platforms, side & rear LED work/FU lights, CB, cell booster. 7x16 cargo conversion, 3" lift, 7'x6.5' fold down aluminum rear deck.
    I have my tire knocker in my truck. Basically a miniature wood baseball bat with a lead rod down the middle.

IronPeak likes this.
  12. Sep 17, 2016 at 10:34 PM
    AFMurse2014

AFMurse2014 Death Can Wait

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Double Cab TRD OFF ROAD 6 Speed MANUAL
    Freedom, American flags and ISIS blood Morimoto 35w 5500k HID/ LED highs from TRS. RCI expo rack Core Short throw shifter, hypertech speedo recalibrator. Rear seat molle panel. OVT. PnP 2LM. C4 Hybrid Bumper w/ amber BD squadron pods. 33 pizza cutters. T9 radio
    I carry a machete. But it's for clearing trails. Lol

13. Sep 17, 2016 at 10:41 PM
    digitaLbraVo

digitaLbraVo Derka Derka

Member:
    Covered in stickers and chrome stick-ons for extra horse torques and foot powers. Icon sticker gets me tons of travel, dozens of milimeters.
    Best advice. A knife isn't for defense. Guns "solve" problems, everything else gets you locked up for assault/battery.

Tucker771, Obsessed2000 and IronPeak like this.
  14. Sep 17, 2016 at 11:12 PM
    AFMurse2014

AFMurse2014 Death Can Wait

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Double Cab TRD OFF ROAD 6 Speed MANUAL
    Freedom, American flags and ISIS blood Morimoto 35w 5500k HID/ LED highs from TRS. RCI expo rack Core Short throw shifter, hypertech speedo recalibrator. Rear seat molle panel. OVT. PnP 2LM. C4 Hybrid Bumper w/ amber BD squadron pods. 33 pizza cutters. T9 radio
    Yea. I had a CCL until I got stationed here

IronPeak likes this.
  15. Sep 17, 2016 at 11:16 PM
    logcabinwc

logcabinwc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Old Man Emu 885s with Nitrocharged 90000, Bilstein 5100 in the back with AllPro 3 spring progressive AAL, 16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, Flow Master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Uniden CB Radio, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom/homebuilt expedition style bed rack and basket combo, and Body Armor rear plate bumper.
    I carry an ax.. Also for clearing trails and downed trees.

16. Sep 17, 2016 at 11:19 PM
    IronPeak

IronPeak PermaLurker

Member:
    First Name:
    AuggieX
    Back to Back
    Vehicle:
    Bigger Taller Slower
    This thread kind of went off the rails but I'm just saying that as a absolute, final, last resort, I would prefer to have something other than my bare hands to defend my family and I

17. Sep 17, 2016 at 11:25 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    If you want distance out of OC, go bear spray.

I have never seen or heard of a can of OC bursting in a vehicle - I would challenge those here stating that is a problem to actually identify an instance where a can burst. You're more likely to encounter it losing pressure from aerosol escaping than the can rupturing and filling the car with OC.

digitaLbraVo likes this.
  18. Sep 17, 2016 at 11:27 PM
    windsor

windsor Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Super Duty aka Tundra
    Canopy, fitted seat covers, OBA with self leveling air bags, 100w solar, dual Rhino Rack Pioneer platforms, side & rear LED work/FU lights, CB, cell booster. 7x16 cargo conversion, 3" lift, 7'x6.5' fold down aluminum rear deck.
    I think the consensus would be that it's not a good idea to store a pressurized irritant inside the cab. That being said, in the glove box, or under the seat will keep it out of direct sunlight.

19. Sep 17, 2016 at 11:49 PM
    IronPeak

IronPeak PermaLurker

Member:
    First Name:
    AuggieX
    Back to Back
    Vehicle:
    Bigger Taller Slower
    I personally had a can of bear mace dump it's contents because it was left in direct sunlight.

20. Sep 18, 2016 at 2:47 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    I can only guess you have your reasons for going in harms way .

I never carried anything like this but I do carry other different spray cans in the cab in my tool bucket.

I have found that all of them lose pressure in a few weeks while the same products in the case in the shop are good for years.

Something to think about go to use it and get a few dribbles

I seem to have problems with fire extinguishers discharging at the worst time

ajm likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top