1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone mount a can of pepper spray in the cab

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mobious212, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Sep 25, 2016 at 5:06 PM
    rnish

rnish Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Maryland (USA)
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2nd gen
    King's, Camburg UCA, Dirt King LCA, armor
    UL tests all dry chemicals to operate at up to 120 degrees Fahrenheit. This includes the Kidde® automotive fire extinguisher. The operational test requires the fire extinguisher to discharge at a specified time and powder amount. UL does not have the option of testing for operation above 120 degrees.

At temperatures above 120 degrees the fire extinguisher will still function, but the discharge time may be a little shorter than the 9 to 10 seconds required by UL.

UL requires the fire extinguisher to be able to withstand storage at 175 degrees without rupture.

High temperatures will decrease the life of the elastomeric seals, so storage above 120 degrees will decrease the life of the fire extinguisher.

jwctaco likes this.
  2. Sep 25, 2016 at 6:47 PM
    mobious212

mobious212 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    99 Pre- Runner V6 TRD
    It seems like my best bet is a small can in the glove compartment. I always thought that fire extinguisher had to withstand super high temps and be somewhat fire proof at 170 degrees they would blow up if there was an actual fire.

3. Sep 25, 2016 at 9:12 PM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    Primary exposure (being sprayed) isn't fun. Watching someone who is to big and tough to be bothered by it completely break down is fun. It hurts but it's bearable as long as you keep your brain prepped. And it sticks to your skin and hair so it's still on you after you decontaminate. If you don't tilt your head back in the shower afterwards you end up essentially re spraying yourself. And if you manage to keep it out of your eyes it runs down over your junk, and that's all kinds of interesting. I got sprayed at the academy, got secondary a few times over the years after.

Secondary exposure is irritating. That's being in the room or walking through the cloud after someone else has been sprayed. It stays in the air for a while. You get irritation in your eyes and lungs, makes you hack for a while. If you ever spray someone you get secondary unless you're outside. And then you make sure to ask anyone who shows up afterwords to come inside to "help" because that's funny.

Cold air does wonders. If its cold out and you spray someone, you're just getting them wet. It won't work, rookies usually forget that. You just end up fighting a guy that is now getting oc on you. At least for a while because... Warm air also does wonders. If you get sprayed and continue to piss me off, you get put in the car and the heat on full blast "cuz I'm cold". And im kind of evil. And now I'm doing extra paperwork instead of going to coffee. You only thought you were hurting before and it's a looooong ride to the jail for decontamination.

4. Sep 25, 2016 at 11:10 PM
    mobious212

mobious212 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    99 Pre- Runner V6 TRD
    Thanks for the advice. I used to work corrections in a small county and I've been sprayed and tased a couple of times to qualify last time I recorded so I won't have to keep "qualifying". And before the forum ninja dick Tracy's ask why I would leave corrections to do unarmed non sworn security, the agency is in a big city so it actually pays better than what a small county who doesn't care about the freaking jail pays.

Products Discussed in

To Top