1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone own a Nice street bicycle?

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by bobwilson1977, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Apr 1, 2009 at 1:58 PM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    I ride about 8 miles a day on a 10 speed road bike I found in the trash 2 years ago. Its probably from the 80's. I put new tires on it and removed a lot of the unnecessary junk. But it probably weighs twice as much as some of the newer carbon fiber bikes. I was thinking of buying a nicer newer bike. But they're at least $1,000! So I was wondering that now that I am kind of serious about riding and getting faster, are these worth it and do they make a difference?

2. Apr 1, 2009 at 2:08 PM
    raskal311

raskal311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S. Cal
    5100 set to max, pending LSD and TRD CAI
    8 miles a day? well worth it...

3. Apr 1, 2009 at 2:15 PM
    dragon129

dragon129 Taco Virgin

Member:
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner Double cab
    Of all of the people I talk to about it, they say it's well worth it. I have been thinking really hard about getting one and you're right, they don't give those things away. But a few guys that I road race with on motorcycles say they love it. Since I'm used to being in that position on a motorcycle, I figure I should do fine on it. It's a great way to keep in shape. I'd like to make the purchase, but road racing is not a cheap hobby either. Time will tell. I'd love to have one though. Go get a good bike and have a ball....:D

4. Apr 1, 2009 at 2:17 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    yeah to a point,its worth it.i have a trek 6700 mt bike.its got disc brakes with brake fluid and front shocks.it was a grand new.rides awesome. i cant justify spending 4500 on a road bike.

5. Apr 1, 2009 at 2:20 PM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    I figure I'd be ok spending $1,200 max. The way I look at is that I don't have time for the gym, a membership at a gym is $50 a month anyway, and it is a pretty easy and more enjoyable way to keep in shape since I'm an office monkey. I'm just a cheap ass, so going through with the purchase is the hardest thing.

6. Apr 1, 2009 at 2:22 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    SBurl Vermont
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    Check craigslist or any refurb bike shops or bike swaps in your area? Where I am, the seasonal thing kicks in & spring time brings out the swaps. Also we have refurb bike shops. The one near me carries some classics that I checked out last week, motobecane, so older treks, peugeot. Or find a nice Trek 1500, they sell on cl for around 600-700, nice starter road bike.

7. Apr 1, 2009 at 3:38 PM
    FearNothing321

FearNothing321 Do you know Tyler Durden?

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Tampa Fl / Palm City Fl / Tequesta Fl
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 TRD Sport
    Sirius Sat radio, Scanguage II, N-Fab 2" side steps, Corbra 18wx, 4ft Firestik, Maglite mod, Bestop, Nitto Terra Grapplers....so far
    go to your local bike store and see if they have anything that is used or on sale. you can usually find good a deal on Cannondale aluminum bikes (CAAD9 series)

8. Apr 1, 2009 at 5:23 PM
    squad314

squad314 Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport+Leather 4x4
    Front 5100's @2.5", Rear 5125's with AAL. Light Racing UCA's, Factory hood deflector, Sirius Sportster 5, TRD air filter, Weathertech's f&r, "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    pinkbike.com....Another site that offers a big buy/sell/trade section.You can save big bucks buying a couple of years old.A lot of the time it's just paint,graphics and minor changes.You will be astounded at how light,nimble and plush a modern roadbike is.An aluminum frame with a carbon fork coupled with a smooth piece of asphalt.....Oh Baby!

To Top