1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone regret buying a 2016 tacoma?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Theheisman19, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Jan 20, 2016 at 2:22 PM
    02TacoBro

02TacoBro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD SPORT 4WD, 6 SPD Manual, 3DR
    1.5" Suspension Lift Android Auto / Sound System GettaGrip Shifter
    I came from a 99 4runner 2WD to a 02 Taco TRD OR 4x4 RR diff (had for 2 weeks before someone hit me and totaled it) to a 2016 TRD OR DLCB 4x4.

I love the shit out of it. It is beautiful, it drives smooth, it stops great, and goes fast. It also never gets stuck!! and I've gone through shit a truck shouldn't be going through!

smitty99 likes this.
  2. Jan 20, 2016 at 2:25 PM
    CusterFan

CusterFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southeastern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Silver Sky 2019 Tacoma SR, AC, 4X2, 2.7
    Yes I regret not buying my 3rd gen before buying a 2015 Colorado. Lesson learned.

James_Bond likes this.
  3. Jan 20, 2016 at 2:27 PM
    TacoBella

TacoBella Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma (SOLD) leased RTL-E Ridgeline
    AVS Bug Deflector. TruXedo Lo Pro
    I think there are a few people interested in the Ridgeline buy the number of responses that Thread has.

I am not someone who cares much about looks as the only reason to buy a vehicle. (I sold a Corvette and bought a Miata) I don't even fret about it on the street. I don't like how Toyota is dealing with issues so I was looking for alternatives before my issue was solved (no thanks to Toyota) I discovered Honda was redesigning the Ridgeline so I took a peek and will have options when the time comes.

What do I like about the Ridgeline
    The bed is flat and very low wheel wells allow for wider loads
    SUV Ride
    SUV room in the cabin both rows
    Love the dual opening door
    The Deep well in the bed as well as a Tire,
    Likely to have power everything

No I don't care for the front style wise but I don't care for my own 16's front much either. But not enough to do anything about it.

I think it looks slightly better then the first gen...no actually a lot better, but no it won't turn heads like an Inferno 6" lifted TRD OR 4x4 Tacoma with bigger tires. But i don't roll looking for attention much.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    JimJustJim[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jan 20, 2016 at 2:35 PM
    BrettsMac08

BrettsMac08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD Sport | 2002 Camaro SS
    KDMax Tuned | MagnaFlow Exhaust | OEM Audio Plus Reference 450Q | TRD Pro Wheels | AT Tires | LED Interior Lighting
    I'll admit that I do, but only a little bit. It's better for what I need for sure, just not quite as fun. I came from a 2009 5.7L Rock Warrior Tundra that I absolutely loved and did over 100K in and a 4.7L '04 Tundra before that. I do miss the power, especially when merging or passing on the highway but I don't miss the gas milage. Not that the Tacoma is that much better. I would average about 13-14 MPG in my Tundra, but it had a large grill guard and was lifted 3"/1.5" and I drove it like a race car. Where as my Tacoma averages about 18ish, 15-16 right now because of the cold weather and lower in 4x4 of course. But it's still a modest improvement. Though the Tundra would at least stay in 6th on the highway...

The #1 reason of course is that I can now fit into the garage where I live now. My Tundra fit at the old house but that was a "in the middle of nowhere country home" with a large garage. Now I'm in town and hated seeing my Tundra sit outside all the time. So that's nice. It's a heck of a lot easer to park too.

I can see myself keeping this for another many years, but I may go full-size again somewhere down the line, particularly if I have a family as the back is a bit cramped in the Taco compared to the Crewmax Tundra. But perfectly fine for me myself and I and a roommate or two. I also don't tow 8,000 lb trailers and tractors anymore which contributed to the change. Needed the Tundra for that (duh). Now I doubt I'll see anything over 5k in the foreseeable future.

Loving what I've got though! The red is great coming from a rather normal white truck to this makes me happy.

TacoBella likes this.
  5. Jan 20, 2016 at 5:16 PM
    NV_Tacoma

NV_Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM ACLB TX Off Road
    2016 White DCSB TRD Off Road (Sold)
    Nope not at all and wouldn't change what I got.

6. Jan 20, 2016 at 5:29 PM
    whopper

whopper 2016 MGM 4x4 double cab

Member:
    First Name:
    wayne
    north carolina
    Vehicle:
    2016 tacoma double cab 4x4 MGM
    On going
    Just waiting till the bugs are worked out keeping the 2010 sport and getting the 2016 sport

7. Jan 20, 2016 at 6:44 PM
    over60

over60 Over70 & still a "Grumpy Old Guy"

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno (Punkin) TRD 4X4 Sport DCLB w/upgrade & tech pkg..!!
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.
    Get her now my man... you won't regret it..!!

8. Jan 20, 2016 at 6:56 PM
    Herniator

Herniator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    chrome valve stems covers
    They never got all of the bugs out of the 2nd gen.

9. Jan 20, 2016 at 6:58 PM
    Gutt Pile

Gutt Pile Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Blazing Blue TRD Offroad
    Some of them sound self inflicted like the transmission fluid low from the factory issue that showed up in another thread.

10. Jan 20, 2016 at 7:24 PM
    because_wumbo-truck

because_wumbo-truck TTC#036 1st Degenerate Urban Off-Roader

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 Gordita Blanca V8 4x4 aka "Penelope"
    Sliders and bumper, DDI injectors, flowmaster 40
    Damn according to that chart, first gens were pretty awesome. Of course there's a typo, worst first gen was 01, not 02 according to the chart. Could you provide a link, please?

11. Jan 20, 2016 at 7:37 PM
    Heepspo

Heepspo I wouldn't say I'm missin' it, Bob...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB, Prem & Tech w/JBL, Towing
    Fuel Vector D600 17" Wheels, Toyo 285/70-17 AT2 Tires, Tuff Country 52907 3" Leveling Lift, Full Katzkin Leather (Black with Platinum Stitching), SOS Concepts Streamline Front Bumper, 3M Scotchgard PPF, "no vtec 4me" BHLM, Husky X-act Contour Floor Liners, Cali Raised Faux Pro Grille, Predator Sliders, WeatherTech Mudflaps, UnderCover Ultra Flex Tonneau Cover, OEM Bed Mat, Headlight Revolution Supernova V.4 Headlights/High Beams & Carbide Canbus 2.0 Amber LED Front Turn Signal Bulbs, Salex Console Organizer, Rhino Seat Belt Extenders (removes annoying dinging), 15% Window Tint, JDM ASTAR 800 Reverse Lights, LED Interior Lighting Package, Stant Locking Gas Cap, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT PLUS Hood Struts, Gentex Compass Mirror w/Homelink, mesojdm Ultimate Turn Signals, Hondo Garage Un-Holey Dash Mount and AR15 Bolt Radio Knobs, CBoy808 Custom Bedside Decals and Flags, De-Badged Doors, Tailgate and Interior Visor Stickers.
    I regret not owning one already. :anonymous:

TacoBella and CusterFan like this.
  12. Jan 20, 2016 at 7:51 PM
    docsg

docsg Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2020 White TRD OR SBDC
    Raptor 4" oval rails, OEM door sill protectors, totally debadged, OEM mud guards, OEM bed mat, OEM S/S tail pipe extension, BDT tailgate letters, Weather Tech sun screen.
    Almost an identical story! Had an 05' TRD 4.7L Tundra and then traded for a 12' TRD 4.6L Tundra. I wanted the 5.7L but the dealer gave me a great deal as the Tundra was full of options (BBS rims, etc.) but most wanted the larger engine. But it was hard to get in my garage and I rarely hauled anything of substance. It came with the spray-in liner and it looked new when I traded it. I paid $32,200 for it "out the door." The dealer now has it on the lot for $29,500 and will probably get around $27,000. It was wrecked when I traded it in on the Tacoma but considering what the dealer gave me plus the $4K I would have had to spend to bring it back to normal, I got $23K for the truck. It was going on 4 years old. That's a loss of about $2K+ a year. Anytime I can drive a vehicle for that per year I will be very happy. Had I not wrecked it I would have sold it "private sale" and could have got at least $26K. Hope my Tacoma holds its value that well and so far I couldn't be more pleased with my decision to go from Tundra to Tacoma. As BretttsMac08 wrote: The Tacoma is easier to park (much), gets better mileage, and has all the room I need (do miss the longer bed of the Tundra at times).

BrettsMac08[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Jan 21, 2016 at 3:23 AM
    3dBdown

3dBdown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB BBP 4x4 Sport
    Evidently, I circled one and wrote the other, lol. It is 2002.

http://www.toyotaproblems.com/Tacoma/ and http://www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/Tacoma/

Toyotaproblems.com breaks down each year into multiple layers of subcategories if you go there which is nice.

It looks like it is compiled from NHTSA complaints, so should be reasonably valid for comparison purposes. There are still probably tons of unreported events, but it should be pretty valid year to year for a qualitative comparison .

Out of curiosity, I checked and 2009 was a skewed by bunch of radio problems dominated by it just turning off randomly. Also, seat heaters, air bags, rear leafs and a few others.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  14. Jan 21, 2016 at 5:01 AM
    ACKtrd30

ACKtrd30 Nice Guys don't finish last. Boring guys do.

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2016 Desert Storm Trooper
    No, not at all.

15. Jan 21, 2016 at 5:17 AM
    Arailt

Arailt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2019 GX460
    That data tracks complaints that may or may not actually be issues. The vast majority of the complaints and reason for the significant increase in overall complaints in 2009 was faulty radios (shutting off unexpectedly, volume not working, display not working).

www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/Tacoma/

16. Jan 21, 2016 at 5:56 AM
    ACKtrd30

ACKtrd30 Nice Guys don't finish last. Boring guys do.

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2016 Desert Storm Trooper
    Was that the first year with JBL, backup cam, led tails, etc...? I had an 08 sport that was rock solid, and I remember being jealous when my buddy grabbed an 09. Also I think that was the first year of magnetic grey...

image.jpg

Loved my 08, big step up from my 95.5

17. Jan 21, 2016 at 6:13 AM
    smugly

smugly Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2005/2009/2016 4x4 TRD double cab taco
    some and more and more and more and
    TAG

18. Jan 21, 2016 at 6:33 AM
    jimsmithrn

jimsmithrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Regrets? Not exactly.

I have wanted a Tacoma since the first time I saw a blue gen 2 DCSB TRD Sport. Man, that's a good looking truck!

I totaled my regular driver sedan in Dec '14 and started shopping for a new vehicle in Jan 2015. I soon saw pics of the new Tacoma and knew I'd be test driving one as soon as it hit the dealer. I struggled with color and package choices for the next 9 or so months. Test drive an SR5 that hit my local dealer and set out on the path to find mine.

I decided on a 2016 TRDOR DCSB in Quicksand with every available option except the factory tonneau. Driving it home from Wisconsin to Louisville, I was a happy man!

But wait, why is that hood shaking so much? And what's up with that horn noise around 30 mph? A few days later, my son's pants got soaked because the cab leaked during a heavy rain.

I fixed the leak with silicone, my local service department fixed the hood, and I'll soon be taping over those stupid holes to stop the howling.

Despite so many opinions on TW about the problems being excusable because the truck just came out, I respectfully disagree. Toyota has been around for a really long time and has released a lot of new vehicles. As such, in my honest opinion, they should have found these problems prior to releasing the truck to the public.

Despite my current unhappiness with Toyota for that, I am VERY happy with my Tacoma and have no regrets whatsoever. I'm looking forward to many years of ownership. Oh yeah, and it is a pretty awesome donut maker!20160120_173800.jpg

Garwood and Theheisman19[OP] like this.
  19. Jan 21, 2016 at 7:13 AM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    looks like a nice piece of property :thumbsup:

jimsmithrn likes this.
  20. Jan 21, 2016 at 7:17 AM
    jimsmithrn

jimsmithrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Thank you. We're happy out there away from all of the numbnuts that populate the local metropolis.

Products Discussed in

To Top