1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone regret their Tacoma purchase? Would you buy it again?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cycledrum, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Mar 11, 2008 at 10:31 AM
    cycledrum

cycledrum [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Union City, CA
    Vehicle:
    88 4X4 Pickup xtra cab, SR5
    Help me out here guys (and gals!)

Are you happy with your Taco? Would you buy it again? Any regrets?

I'm not ready to buy, but can't stop internet shopping.

Help me out here ...

The ride quality is so bad, creaky and rattly in my '88 pickup, I'm like ... I prefer a truck for dirt bikes and such, but can I live with another one? Will a $26k Taco turn into a bouncy rattle trap after 30k miles?

I'm even checking out that Ridgeline thingy, hittin' their forum up with questions, but dayam that thing is hard to look at. And if that Ridgeline is so good, why do I see Tacos everywhere and hardly any Ridges? (ooops answered my own question).

2. Mar 11, 2008 at 10:41 AM
    Mellow

Mellow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Ext Cab SR5 4-Cyl Prerunner
    My mom's '99 Ext Cab Prerunner has 135,000+ miles on it and one thing that has always amazed me is the absence of annoying rattles and creeks in that thing.

If you closed your eyes while driving it... no recommended, you'd probably think you were in a brand new vehicle. She's never had one issue with it other than cutting the garage short a couple times and denting in the sides... LOL

3. Mar 11, 2008 at 10:48 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Dude....you've been driving around in an 88 pickup all these years?? For gawd sake man - it's 20 years old. What do you expect it to ride like?

All that creaking and rattling - is the sound of your frame falling apart bit by bit. And everything else that's holding on by the grace of gawd everytime you go over a bump. :D

4. Mar 11, 2008 at 10:58 AM
    cycledrum

Member:
    Union City, CA
    Vehicle:
    No, no sir... I've been driving it around for 6 years. It was 14 years old with 63,000 miles on ODO when I bought it (I got carfax, so it was actually 63K). Now it has 97k miles (and a new head gasket for $1000 ... I'm pissed).

I'm exaggerating about the creaking and rattling, but the bed makes noise when going over bumps. Living in the concrete/asphalt world called the SF Bay Area, this ride quality sux.

5. Mar 11, 2008 at 11:01 AM
    cycledrum

Member:
    Union City, CA
    Vehicle:
    Nice truck!

6. Mar 11, 2008 at 11:05 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    My 07' had plenty of rattles. Then I cleaned it out so that I could trade it in... All rattles gone. :eek: Ooops! :)

7. Mar 11, 2008 at 11:06 AM
    Dutch

Dutch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Taco
    No regrets here...........I can't say what it's going to drive like 20 years down the road. I know that it's tight and a very strong truck.

8. Mar 11, 2008 at 11:36 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    It's still 20 years old! Everything creaks & rattles at that age!

That's similar to a 60 year old complaining about arthritis! That stuff just happens over time and with age.

You mentioned 30K miles....Hell - if mine starts riding that bad at 30K miles- that dealership is gonna wish I never purchased a Toyota in the first place. :p

No regrets! I hope (with care & maintenance) this truck lasts that long or longer. Who knows what it'll be like in 20 years.
    But then again.....20 years from now, can't say I'll still own this truck at the age of 60.

9. Mar 11, 2008 at 11:40 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I regret everything I do! The truck is no different. I would get the TRD Sport package on my Tacoma if I were to buy again.

There are times when I wish I could live on easy street with low car notes, but I really enjoy my truck. Financially, I should be driving around in a used car with a harbor freight trailer for when I need to pick up big things at Lowe's. I don't really need a truck. I could make do with a trailer for the few times I need ample storage.

Am I going to get rid of my truck? Hell no. I'll drive it until it dies.

10. Mar 11, 2008 at 11:45 AM
    Mudbone

Mudbone Pimpin Aint Easy!

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    02 Double Cab 4x4 TRD SR5 V6 Black
    I've got well over 100k already and she still rides the same as the day i picked her up!! Change the oil, routine maintenance, keeps on going strong!! I do have a slight rattle from around the middle of the dash sometimes but it comes and goes! Cant say there's another truck on the market that i would buy right now(maybe a tundra) unless it were just a newer model, but i still like mine!!

11. Mar 11, 2008 at 11:54 AM
    Mat-taco06

Mat-taco06 2006 Double cab TRD Sprot

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Viper alarm system w/ Remote start, Eclipse AVN5435 DVD/Navig system with Audiovox Backup Camera,09+ Tailgate Handle, Audiovox Head Rest units, EBC brake rotors, Weathertech Floor Liners, Power Inverter in Cabin
    Love the truck. I just wish my notes where a bit lower and that gas was cheaper for sure. Other than That Just love it.

12. Mar 11, 2008 at 11:56 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    You can have my Tacoma when you pry my cold dead fingers from around the shifter knob.

13. Mar 11, 2008 at 12:26 PM
    JTDTacoma

JTDTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4X4 Double Cab TRD Sport
    No regrets here either, I couldn't see myself in anything else! Never drove a Ridgeline, just thought about it briefly until my wife saw a Tacoma and said "that looks much more manly". I never thought about the Ridgeline again. I'm sure it's a good "truck". My other two vehicles are Hondas and I'm a big Honda fan, but it's too ugly for me, and not enough "truck" for me.

I think it'd be hard to find an '88 anything that didn't rattle. My 08 is rock solid, of course it has only 1600 miles on it.

14. Mar 11, 2008 at 12:29 PM
    gdawg25

gdawg25 Zoom-Zoom

Member:
    Victoria, BC
    Vehicle:
    '08 Mazdaspeed 3
    Stay away from the Taco! Go with the Ridgeline - I need another metrosexual to laugh at as I blow by you.

15. Mar 11, 2008 at 12:48 PM
    TacoTurd

TacoTurd Defying Alliances since 2007

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Bull Bar, PIAA lights, Passport, Bed Mat, UWS Toolbox, Hood Struts, Rear TSB, TRD/Okole Seat Covers, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Burned Carpet, Nasty Dent in Roof
    Hard to say what these things will be like in 20 years. LOTS of adhesives, plastic and all-aluminum motors. Tacos haul ass though, not like any truck I ever had before.

Do you think a tank of gas might cost less than a car in 20 years? :eek:

16. Mar 11, 2008 at 2:13 PM
    j4x4ar3

j4x4ar3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - White
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars, Rocky Mounts bike mount, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Rigid Industries front and rear light pods, dual HAM radio with remote mount heads.
    No regrets here at all.. except for the fact that I waited until I had 60,000 miles on the truck before I started "personalizing" the truck a little more :D. Mine is an 05 and it still rides/drives like it was brand new. Absolutely great truck... works great as a daily driver as well. Thought about an 07 Tundra just for the additional towing power when I need it but I just can't part with the Tacoma. It's like a brother to me :p

17. Mar 11, 2008 at 2:29 PM
    HardCase

HardCase Winter is coming.

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Kalispell, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma (Inferno) TRDOR 4x4 DCLB
    I bought a basic regular-cab/4cyl Toyota pickup (they didn't call them Tacomas yet, and the ginromous Tundra hadn't been introduced) in '89, sold it two years later thinking that I needed more passenger hauling capacity. I regretted having done so and bought another one, identical except for color basically, in '93 and "lost" it in '97 in the midst of a divorce, and, again, regretted it, but didn't have the opportunity to get another until last week. I swear, this one is in the "cold dead fingers" category!!!! Not only do I not regret it, but third time's the charm and I ain't givin' this one up under any circumstances. :thumbsup:

18. Mar 11, 2008 at 2:56 PM
    j4x4ar3

j4x4ar3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - White
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars, Rocky Mounts bike mount, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Rigid Industries front and rear light pods, dual HAM radio with remote mount heads.
    Hey HardCase.. change your profile pic.. is that a Prius I see :p

19. Mar 11, 2008 at 3:25 PM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    #1 - No question ... $ for $ it is the best .. whichever configuation you choose.

#2 - The Ridgeline isn't a truck ..... (pause) .... the "bed" is attached to the cab just like that ugly ass Chevy (forgot the name) with all that plastic on it . It is an SUV with the roof chopped.

Just my opinion.

20. Mar 11, 2008 at 3:27 PM
    gdawg25

gdawg25 Zoom-Zoom

Member:
    Victoria, BC
    Vehicle:
    '08 Mazdaspeed 3
    I couldn't agree with you more!

But that's the last time I agree with a Red Sox fan.

Products Discussed in

To Top