1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone run 295/75r16 on a first gen?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by razhick4x4, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Apr 23, 2020 at 7:25 PM
    razhick4x4

razhick4x4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    MT/WY
    Vehicle:
    2004, Tacoma SR5 Xtracab TRD, 4x4, Red, 5spd. V6
    ARB Bumper, 3" Toytec/OME lift, 33s, Sliders, ARE Topper, Ditch Lights, Hella LEDs, Trigger controller, CB, Pioneer Radio
    interesting... i'll look into them further, as of right now though the main ones that i have been looking at are...

Cooper St Maxx in 255/85R16: these ones will be around $1900 all in, with wheels (that's including sales tax and protection/insurance) if i wanted to run the stock rims then it'd only be around $1420.00.

General Grabber A/Tx in 285/75R16: these would run about $1540 for the whole set, with wheels. i wouldn't want to run stock wheels with these because since they're wider, i'll prolly get some pretty knarly frame rub with them.

Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac in 285/75R16: *Top pick so far*, these would run around $1655. what entices me about these is that they are pretty aggressive, but they still have a lot of siping and other stuff that makes them great for winter use too. only drawback i've heard about is that they are pretty loud...but i can live with that.

or a set of Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 295/75R16: these are about the same price of the Duratracs at $1650 and they have some of the same benefits. the main difference is that they are a little bit bigger.

the reason that i have put the prices in and listed all the tires i'm looking at isnt just so that y'all know exactly how much discount tire is charging for a set of these different tires at the moment, but more so that anyone who wants to help me out by weighing in, has a good idea of what the differences are in price point. as i've said before, the main reason i'm hesitant to go with the coopers is that they are so expensive. is it worth it? that's mainly what i'm wondering. and i'm also interested to see what people think on the choice between the 285s and 295s. i'm not trying to go for the cheapest route possible, but it's tough to justify breaching my budget by $400 when there are plenty of other good tires for less...unlesss the more expensive option is massively better.

2. Apr 24, 2020 at 11:18 AM
    PluckyPurcell

PluckyPurcell Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma Dbl Off Road
    Just curious, what brand of springs are those? I forgot to say on orig post that before the spacers I was rubbing on my stock UCA during tight turns lightly as well. Also, on the inner fender (I think that's what you mean) on tight turns. In the close-up below you can see where I cut.

Yeah, not sure why I didn't go with the 883 at the time. I should have done more digging. I think I had them in my cart before changing my mind.

Sorry about the bad pics. There's a tree in the way to prevent a full shot so I get that later, but just to show how the tires fit in the wheelwell for now. You can see where I cut prior to the bullbar install in the close-up shot -- wheel is turned all the way to the right in this pic.

RangerComa likes this.
  3. Apr 24, 2020 at 9:59 PM
    razhick4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    MT/WY
    Vehicle:
    ARB Bumper, 3" Toytec/OME lift, 33s, Sliders, ARE Topper, Ditch Lights, Hella LEDs, Trigger controller, CB, Pioneer Radio
    the springs that i am running are the Toytec/Eibach 112-620P springs.
    these ones: , looks like they're backordered right now but you could call toytec and ask for an ETA. i'm running the Dakars in the back. No AAL currently but i have a set on order from Wheeler's. The front springs are so tall that the Dakars keep it exactly level without the aal. hopefully the AAL helps, otherwise i'll fabricoble some new shackles... or just buy some. hope this helps.

yeah, i see what you're talking about with innner fender rub. i guess that extra .4" of width, combined with the 1/2"-1" (depends on the tire, some run a bit smaller from what i hear) of height does make a difference. for now i'm leaning towards the 285s. truck looks great though, i'd love to see a full pic once you get the chance. also, the fact that you have a double cab might be impacting the amount of lift. perhaps more reason to wait a little longer for the toytec coils?:notsure: here's a pic of my front struts before they went on the truck. i'm running the same shocks as you (OME nitrochargers) so you shouldn't have any compatibility problems.

upload_2020-4-24_21-58-37.jpg

PluckyPurcell[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. May 6, 2020 at 3:25 PM
    razhick4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    MT/WY
    Vehicle:
    ended up going with the 285s, very pleased!
    upload_2020-5-6_15-26-16.jpg

PluckyPurcell, GregC and Matic like this.
  5. May 6, 2020 at 3:38 PM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    I thought the All Terrain T/A was discontinued.
    You find an old set?

6. May 6, 2020 at 3:59 PM
    razhick4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    MT/WY
    Vehicle:
    nah, these are the KO2s. i think you're referring to the All Terrain T/A KOs (which are discontinued)

Matic[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top