1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone running different sized subs?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by davidjmay, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Jan 24, 2013 at 10:09 PM
    davidjmay

davidjmay [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Orange County/Azusa
    Vehicle:
    '00 PreRunner
    Pioneer HU & door speakers, Alpine type R, Kicker dx1000.1, OME 883 lift, Wheelers 2" AAL, custom mesh grille, smoked LED taillights, LED light bar, Raptor exhaust dumped before axle, custom fabbed roll bar/light bar mount
    No can do. What little space I have, I plan on using for the sub. Stock speaker mounts are 6" circles so I would eventually just have to upgrade the speakers

2. Jan 24, 2013 at 10:30 PM
    davidjmay

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Orange County/Azusa
    Vehicle:
    '00 PreRunner
    Pioneer HU & door speakers, Alpine type R, Kicker dx1000.1, OME 883 lift, Wheelers 2" AAL, custom mesh grille, smoked LED taillights, LED light bar, Raptor exhaust dumped before axle, custom fabbed roll bar/light bar mount
    Yeah... I mean i guess I would rather just spend the money and get really good quality 6" comps. Might eventually do some modification to the rear to accommodate for 6x9's, but that's a ways down the road. Even with how crappy the bass is on my pioneer 6" 3-ways, The 10" sub I have makes up for it. Now I think I'm gonna take the sub a little bit further. Will crap one of my back seats, but since I'm 6'3 I dont like people sitting back there anyways unless they absolutely have to, in which case I can easily disconnect the sub and put it in the bed (would have to figure out a way to secure it in the bed of course while driving)

3. Jan 24, 2013 at 10:44 PM
    davidjmay

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Orange County/Azusa
    Vehicle:
    '00 PreRunner
    Thanks bud. Hopefully ItalynStylion will chime in again and help with my amp question.

4. Jan 24, 2013 at 10:58 PM
    davidjmay

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Orange County/Azusa
    Vehicle:
    '00 PreRunner
    Hm, thanks! Some good entry level information in there I guess. Are you running any subs or just those bigger door speakers?

5. Jan 24, 2013 at 11:28 PM
    davidjmay

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Orange County/Azusa
    Vehicle:
    '00 PreRunner
    Dope! Challengers are sick. Want to see some picthres of the installed subs when they're done! :thumbsup:

6. Jan 25, 2013 at 7:20 PM
    Beach Taco

Beach Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    12' SR5 4x4
    WeatherTech Ventvisors, Dealer Sprayed Underliner, Aries black 3" side bars, Front windows 35% tint
    I put the 10 behind my seats in my dbl cab. I think most pics of access cab enclosures I have seen are some kind of box over the hump taking the center console to the back wall. Google "your year, tacoma sub enclosures" and hit pics. probably alot of ideas out there. I have 6.5 polk Db series in my front doors. I dynamat'ed each door about 25%(12x12 piece at speaker opening and more) and built an adapter out of mdf for each door, upgraded the wiring.I am running an alpine 50x4 to my 6.5" components up front. They sound good and have good kick. I cut them off around 100Hz. Definitly stick with one size sub for the lows. cheaper lets say 500x1 amp probably putting out 100 to 400 watts (90% of time). better quality amp brand that is i think its called "2006 cea compliant". is supposed to be a more true read(watts) as advertised. the amps i have gotten the last few years(kicker, alpine) were rated a little bit higher than even the advertised wattage size. My 300 watt alpine sub amp said it was test certified to 367 watts.

7. Jan 26, 2013 at 3:06 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    PM me how much space you have to give up (dimensions) and I can help you pick out a sub and design a box for it; or at least the volume and the port tuning.

As far as power stuff, it doesn't matter really. Power handling of most speakers is determined by the enclosure you stuff it into since the enclosure controls the cone from ripping itself apart.

I would always tell you to have more power than you need; but only use a portion of it. Power is really simple math. The more you have the louder it will be. If you have a speaker that's 84db efficient and you feed it 128 watts you'll get 105db of output. If you double the power to 256watts you'll get 108db. The more power you have the better. But if your speaker can't handle the full power of the amp just don't use it all...it's that simple.

8. Jan 26, 2013 at 5:10 PM
    davidjmay

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Orange County/Azusa
    Vehicle:
    '00 PreRunner
    Pm'd! Thanks for all the advice

Products Discussed in

To Top